Jordan Westerkamp

It's a positive that Jordan Westerkamp has amazing hands, can make a miraculous behind the back catch and make some catches that others can't.

But think about how many times a game that is required of a receiver. I'm not talking just a difficult catch, but an amazing grab that separates Jordans hands from a receiver who might just have decent hands.

Most of the plays a receiver needs to make is not an outstretched one handed eye closed finger tip catch but something like a crossing right through the middle where they can make some moves and maybe turn a 3 yard throw into a 10 yard gain. Can Jordan do that in the NFL? Is he fast enough and quick enough and athletic enough? That's what the coaches are looking for. Can he get separation, not just from a fly route but a hook. An out to the sideline. A post through the middle.

Sam Cotton and Alonzo Moore were signed to the NFL fairly quickly. Something tells me this isn't about talent but rather a concern over injury or the fact he currently isn't healthy.

didn't he get hurt again while working out with the browns?

Sam Cotton and Alonzo Moore were signed to the NFL fairly quickly. Something tells me this isn't about talent but rather a concern over injury or the fact he currently isn't healthy.

Personally I think it's just about being with the right team at the right time. The NFL is a giant kluster you know what when it comes to evaluating not only the talent they currently have but all of the incoming talent with far too many people imo trying to evaluate said talent. He's got the skills but trying to make it into the NFL depends on so many little things coming together and imo involves a lot/far too much over analyzing of players. Their loss. For now at least.

• 1 month later...

"Right now, I'm training my butt off," he said last week from his home in suburban Chicago.

Westerkamp, who ranks second all-time at Nebraska in career receptions (167), wasn't selected in the NFL Draft in late April. But he since has had tryouts with Tampa Bay, Cleveland and Miami.

What's more, "I went and did a little workout with the Kansas City Chiefs about a week ago and did extremely well," he said. "Me, the G.M. and my agent have been in talks. That's looking pretty bright for me.

"We'll just see what happens when (NFL team) camps roll around here in the next couple weeks. You know how camp is -- people go down (with injuries) left and right. I mean, I know I'll end up somewhere. It's just a matter of time and opportunity.

"The NFL is so crazy," he added. "I could get a call tomorrow and sign with some team. Right now, I'm just getting in the best shape of my life and making sure I'm ready to go for any teams that call me."

LJS

"Right now, I'm training my butt off," he said last week from his home in suburban Chicago.

Westerkamp, who ranks second all-time at Nebraska in career receptions (167), wasn't selected in the NFL Draft in late April. But he since has had tryouts with Tampa Bay, Cleveland and Miami.

What's more, "I went and did a little workout with the Kansas City Chiefs about a week ago and did extremely well," he said. "Me, the G.M. and my agent have been in talks. That's looking pretty bright for me.

"We'll just see what happens when (NFL team) camps roll around here in the next couple weeks. You know how camp is -- people go down (with injuries) left and right. I mean, I know I'll end up somewhere. It's just a matter of time and opportunity.

"The NFL is so crazy," he added. "I could get a call tomorrow and sign with some team. Right now, I'm just getting in the best shape of my life and making sure I'm ready to go for any teams that call me."

LJS

Would love to see him with the Chefs! Their WR position is very lackluster and his chances to see the field with them are probably as good as they are with anyone!

Being honest here -

Wouldn't he be a better fit in Arena football - great hands and quickness is more important than speed?

Is there still arena football? If there is, those guys aren't making a living playing football.

http://www.arenafootball.com/

AFL salaries are modest, with most players earning between $40,000 and $50,000 per season. The league minimum is $31,000, and the average salary, boosted by the contracts of a handful of franchise players who earn six figures, is $80,000.

So with the exception of franchise players, most players make the same amount of money as teachers do.

Being honest here -

Wouldn't he be a better fit in Arena football - great hands and quickness is more important than speed?

Is there still arena football? If there is, those guys aren't making a living playing football.

http://www.arenafootball.com/

AFL salaries are modest, with most players earning between $40,000 and $50,000 per season. The league minimum is $31,000, and the average salary, boosted by the contracts of a handful of franchise players who earn six figures, is $80,000.

So with the exception of franchise players, most players make the same amount of money as teachers do.

Yeah, so there are 4 Arena Football teams, which basically means it doesn't exist.

• Mavric changed the title to Jordan Westerkamp