Jordan Westerkamp

and waived/injury settlement WR Jordan Westerkamp.

What does that mean?

Up until the final cutdown date, injured players with less than four years of service cannot go onto IR without first passing through waivers. Those players are released with the “waived/injured” designation. Known as “injury waivers,” this process exposes the player to waivers, but warns other teams that the player is injured. If the player clears injury waivers, the team can then either place the player on IR or agree to an injury settlement (paying the player for the weeks that he is expected to be recovering from his injury) and then release the player.

It is important to keep in mind that injury waivers only apply during the offseason, up until the final cutdown date. From that point on, a non-vested veteran can be placed directly on IR, although some teams will still use the “waived-injured” designation, hoping that another team will claim the player, thereby relieving them of the financial responsibility for a player while on IR.

Link

So, is he still considered "injured" from his back problems his senior year? Or, was he injured recently?

I believe he had a different injury at a previous NFL stop but he played in the game the other night. Not sure if he re-aggravated it or something else happened. As far as I know it's not a hold over from college.

I'm also not exactly sure how strict the NFL is with injured reserve policy. I get the impression that it's fairly loose. So perhaps he isn't completely recovered from the previous injury but they want to keep him around so they can try to stash him on IR for awhile. :dunno

So, is he still considered "injured" from his back problems his senior year? Or, was he injured recently?

I believe he had a different injury at a previous NFL stop but he played in the game the other night. Not sure if he re-aggravated it or something else happened. As far as I know it's not a hold over from college.

I'm also not exactly sure how strict the NFL is with injured reserve policy. I get the impression that it's fairly loose. So perhaps he isn't completely recovered from the previous injury but they want to keep him around so they can try to stash him on IR for awhile. :dunno

Some teams will use Injured Reserve as a way to "redshirt" guys. Maybe the Dolphins like Westy, but want him to get fully healthy before making a decision with them.

The Dolphins on Tuesday announced a waived/injury settlement for the former Nebraska receiver, who had signed with the team on July 30. Westerkamp had played in the Dolphins' first preseason game last Thursday, returning one punt, but was dealing with a hamstring problem.

OWH

So with an injury settlement, the Dolphins are throwing Westy some cash to take care of his injury, get treatment, and rehab.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

• Mavric changed the title to Jordan Westerkamp