Science things

WaPo: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/americas-miracle-machine-is-in-desperate-need-of-well-a-miracle/2017/05/05/daafbe6a-30e7-11e7-9534-00e4656c22aa_story.html?utm_term=.906e84fa17d4

Eric S. Lander (Broad Institute) and Eric E. Schmidt (Alphabet) with this op ed in defense of funding science.

If we dont change course and invest in scientific research, we risk losing one of Americas greatest advantages. To our lasting detriment, we may wake up to find the next generation of technologies, industries, medicines and armaments being pioneered elsewhere.

• Thanks 1
  • 5 years later...

2 hours ago, suh_fan93 said:

I thought they had achieved net positive power, but it's actually just positive reaction energy. Still a breakthrough but not as big as I had initially thought:

https://www.npr.org/2022/12/13/1142208055/nuclear-fusion-breakthrough-climate-change

"It is a big scientific step," says Ryan McBride, a nuclear engineer at the University of Michigan. But, McBride adds, that does not mean that NIF itself is producing power. For one thing, he says, the lasers require more than 300 megajoules worth of electricity to produce around 2 megajoules of ultraviolet laser light. In other words, even if the energy from the fusion reactions exceeds the energy from the lasers, it's still only around one percent of the total energy used.

• 1 month later...
On 12/13/2022 at 9:34 PM, Crusader Husker said:

Are we developing a warp core?

We there yet?

I haven't looked into it in a decent while, but a handful of years back NASA was experimenting with an electromagnetic engine which, in their own words, was impossible. But they kept testing it and... it kept seeming to work? No thrust, no conservation of momentum, just a bunch of radiation bouncing around and producing movement.

Completely breaks our understanding of physics.

• Oh Yeah! 1