The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

It would be derelict to not mention that the guy currently sitting in the White House has displayed behaviors consistent with multiple different types of neurological/mental health conditions.

I'd think that'd be important to anyone who worried about Sanders's condition.

Only if you voted for the guy. ;)

Sure -- it makes sense that there would be health concerns. My comment was directed at the suggestion that a guy Bernie's age is necessarily less progressive and 'forward-thinking' than younger people. If anything, it's the opposite (for better or for worse).

Granted, if Bernie were more or less the complete opposite of what he is then I can see how he neatly fits into "out of touch old man narrative", which in other cases isn't so unfair. But Bernie?...

Every time I read about more and more coming out about connections with Russia in his campaign and how he constantly denies it....then....how he has alienated our biggest allies.

Everyone running against him is going to absolutely slaughter him over this stuff.

All he is going to have is to start calling people names again.

IF.....he makes it to 2020...I seriously hope he doesn't even win the GOP nomination because the other GOP candidates brutalize him so much.

I'm sure his kids will all come out on Fox News talking about how unfair everyone was to him.

Every time I read about more and more coming out about connections with Russia in his campaign and how he constantly denies it....then....how he has alienated our biggest allies.

Everyone running against him is going to absolutely slaughter him over this stuff.

All he is going to have is to start calling people names again.

IF.....he makes it to 2020...I seriously hope he doesn't even win the GOP nomination because the other GOP candidates brutalize him so much.

I'm sure his kids will all come out on Fox News talking about how unfair everyone was to him.

I really hope someone like Kasich makes a run. I would be ecstatic if Trump decided not to run at all, I don't care what excuse he would give. It would be a lot less stressful not having the "there is no way he can win, right?" conversations again.

• Fire 1

I would love a head to head primary in the GOP. Not the 19 candidate crapshow we had last time. Just 2 or 3 guys actually talking about things instead of trying to get 3 or 4 soundbites out of a debate.

19 is way too many but 2 or 3 isn't enough. I'm not sure where the sweet spot is but I really wished I had more choices when it was just Bernie and Hillary on primary ballot.

I agree about wishing he wouldn't even run. If he were banned from running again, that would even be better.

I have often thought about what it would be like with Trump and McMullen together in a debate.

I've been liking McMullen's tweets - seems to have his head screwed on right. If Trump is running there won't be 16 challengers but I would expect 3-4

I admittedly wasn't sure if there even were primaries for the incumbent. I just looked up 2012 and had never heard of any of the Democrats who ran against Obama so I must not have paid attention.

I paid attention to the election in 2004 but maybe not to the Republican side.

Trump losing the primary might be the best thing that could happen to Republicans. At least then they may not lose to a Democrat.

I admittedly wasn't sure if there even were primaries for the incumbent. I just looked up 2012 and had never heard of any of the Democrats who ran against Obama so I must not have paid attention.

I paid attention to the election in 2004 but maybe not to the Republican side.

Trump losing the primary might be the best thing that could happen to Republicans. At least then they may not lose to a Democrat.

I've looked before and I want to say (not 100% sure) an incumbent has only been challenged twice before. The incumbent won both primaries but went on to lose the general election.

Actually, the sitting President has lost the nomination of their once after being elected in a normal election. Funny thing....it led to the formation of the Republican party.

Franklin Pierce

Four other Presidents have lost their nomination but, they were President due to other situations.

John Tyler = After death of Harrison

Andrew Fillmore = After death of Taylor

Andrew Johnson = After death of Lincoln

Chester Arther = After death of Garfield

LINK

• Fire 2

What we need is for maybe 7-10 people get in the race to at least test the waters early on. Then, if they aren't within striking distance, they need to back out to leave 2-4 main competitors against Trump.

yes, that was the problem last time - you had several pretty good guys and no one would step aside early enough to allow someone to take on Trump. Trump got those early open party votes (I wonder if Dems crossed over to vote for him thinking Hillary would crush him - if so it kind of backfired. <_< ) and built up too much momentum.