The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

8 minutes ago, TheSker said:

Totally agree.

I believe there are more efficient and effective ways to aid than putting the partisan, inefficient government in charge of societal needs.

The currently partisan and inefficient government, perhaps.

Previous governments that actually pursued social engineering on a vast scale, not necessarily for a profit motive but nevertheless with the cooperation and profit of corporate America, yes. 

Churches and charities do some incredible work to help the underclass and at-risk. Corporations pump billions into grants, charities and initiatives. But left to our own devices, too many powerful entities will prey on the weak to the benefit of the few. Obviously the federal government can't totally prevent that --- and is often compliant -- but I can't envision this more efficient and effective method of which you speak. 

• Plus1 3
2 minutes ago, TheSker said:

The discussion isn't about sales tax.

I said everyone pays taxes. That’s a fact. Everyone is paying something that someone else is deciding how to spend. I was replying to your comment about spending someone else’s $. It’s not relevant whether it’s income tax or not when it comes to that comment.

14 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Would you say the same thing if Opra decided to jump in as an indep - she would be the darling of the left and would split the Dem vote??   I also prefer that the WH is not used for on the job training.  However, we've had a few non-political guys become WH trainees  who fared pretty well:  U.S Grant, Ike, Wilson (the founder basically of the progressive movement).  Grant and Ike were military leaders and that helped their learning curve but Wilson came from academia.  Trump was just the wrong guy to 're-start' the trend of non-politicals getting into the WH.

I have yet to meet a Democrat who wants Oprah to join this circus. 

• Plus1 1
18 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

Would you say the same thing if Opra decided to jump in as an indep - she would be the darling of the left and would split the Dem vote??   I also prefer that the WH is not used for on the job training.  However, we've had a few non-political guys become WH trainees  who fared pretty well:  U.S Grant, Ike, Wilson (the founder basically of the progressive movement).  Grant and Ike were military leaders and that helped their learning curve but Wilson came from academia.  Trump was just the wrong guy to 're-start' the trend of non-politicals getting into the WH.

Could a smart business person who understood research and development, delegating authority, building consensus, investments and negotiations, and answering to shareholders get better results for this country than professional politicians?  I'll be he or she could.

Donald Trump just isn't that person. 

The guys in the Real Billionaires club have always considered him a joke. 

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I said everyone pays taxes. That’s a fact. Everyone is paying something that someone else is deciding how to spend. I was replying to your comment about spending someone else’s $. It’s not relevant whether it’s income tax or not when it comes to that comment.

It's absolutely "relevant" when the key point is taxing those that make "too much" money.

Specifically it means those who do NOT make that much money would easily be the majority vote over those who do make that much.

Quite relevant.  It's a key part if that political platform.

4 minutes ago, TheSker said:

It's absolutely "relevant" when the key point is taxing those that make "too much" money.

Specifically it means those who do NOT make that much money would easily be the majority vote over those who do make that much.

Quite relevant.  It's a key part if that political platform.

There are plenty of people who are for higher taxes even if it means they’d have to pay higher taxes themselves. I’m one of those people. I’m not in the top bracket but I think my bracket can afford to pay more and I would be fine with it. 

I also don’t think anyone is worth 500x more than anyone else to society, yet that’s what has been decided. Ok, maybe someone who cures a deadly disease - that I can accept.

11 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

There are plenty of people who are for higher taxes even if it means they’d have to pay higher taxes themselves. I’m one of those people. I’m not in the top bracket but I think my bracket can afford to pay more and I would be fine with it. 

I also don’t think anyone is worth 500x more than anyone else to society, yet that’s what has been decided. Ok, maybe someone who cures a deadly disease - that I can accept.

There are ways you can help others without it being through taxation.  And YOU get to decide where that dollar goes.

1 minute ago, TheSker said:

There are ways you can help others without it being through taxation.  And YOU get to decide where that dollar goes.

People can also hoard, it is their choice. That is why society wants to demand a little more each time you have a little more for whatever reason. Marginal utility of a dollar over the coarse of society and such.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
28 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Could a smart business person who understood research and development, delegating authority, building consensus, investments and negotiations, and answering to shareholders get better results for this country than professional politicians?  I'll be he or she could.

Donald Trump just isn't that person. 

The guys in the Real Billionaires club have always considered him a joke. 

Bingo.

50 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I absolutely would say the same thing.  Oprah has as much a place in a Presidential race as this dude or Trump for that matter.  Id say the same thing about Mark cuban etc. 

I just read an interestjng article from Seattle times that talked about how corporate world and government require separate skills - will post later.  

It also discusses that Schultz has only voted in 11 of the last 38 elections.  So he is pretty engaged and involved in politica at all levels, this run totally fits with his passion and involvement (sarcasm)

7 minutes ago, deedsker said:

People can also hoard, it is their choice. That is why society wants to demand a little more each time you have a little more for whatever reason. Marginal utility of a dollar over the coarse of society and such.

I don't entirely disagree.  I'm simply saying taxation isn't the only method, and I certainly don't believe it's the most efficient.