The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

22 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Oh yeah, I forgot he dismissed the higher tax rates while saying he was a self-made man that knew poverty because he grew up in the projects. So he benefited from the social welfare programs that were paid for with taxes, and without those programs he couldn't have made himself into anything. It's ridiculous.

Can you link to him saying the wealthy should pay more as I've never seen him even hint at that? I've only seen him say stupid stuff like calling Warren's and AOC's tax ideas "not American":

Howard Schultz knocks Ocasio-Cortez, Warren and Harris for ‘extreme,’ ‘punitive’ and ‘not American’ policies

Add to that he's running as an independent instead of inside the Dem party, which many think could hurt the Dems and possibly help Trump, and you can understand why many liberals don't like him as a candidate.

But even just as a candidate, he doesn't know what he's talking about and has no plans or vision. Just watch his CNN townhall and you'll see he avoids answering the questions, so he comes off as a rich guy that just decided to enter politics one day without any idea what he's doing.

I think Schultz is more likely to attract not-Trump Republicans and others who are socially liberal but don't want to be part of the Republicans, which I think you fit into that group.

So...from this post, I gather he has three hits against him.  He's rich, he criticized Warren and Ocasio-Cortez's plan and he's independent.  Interesting.

LINK

Howard Schultz, the billionaire former Starbucks CEO considering a run for president, wants to pay more taxes. He just won’t say how much. 

Appearing in a prime-time CNN town hall on Tuesday, Schultz demurred after repeatedly being pressed by moderator Poppy Harlow to provide a rate.

“The headline is here: I should be paying more taxes,” Schultz said. “And people who make this kind of revenue, and are of means, should pay more taxes.”

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

So...from this post, I gather he has three hits against him.  He's rich, he criticized Warren and Ocasio-Cortez's plan and he's independent.  Interesting.

LINK

You asked why liberals don't support Schultz, and I gave a some reasons.

Thanks for the link. But here's why I think he's just a lousy candidate regardless of political leanings, he's just empty talk: "He just won't say how much more." He's running a campaign based on hot air. If and when he puts out something of substance, then we can actually debate whether his ideas and policies are good for America.

11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yes, he worked for Starbucks.  At the time, it only bought and sold whole bean coffee.  He had the idea to start brewing coffee and espresso in the stores.  Starbucks owners said no, so he left, found some investors and started a company called Il Giornale.  He grew that company to the point where he then purchased Starbucks and rolled the companies together...kept the Starbucks name.

So...yes....he started his company from scratch.   

You're right.  He started Il Giornale on his own.  He took in investors for a coffee shop.  One of those investors was the owner of Starbucks.

But he didn't "grow" his company.  It was still one shop.  1 year after opening his shop, the Starbucks owners wanted to sell for $3.8M.  They gave him first crack.  He took investors, again, for about $1.9M.  Then Bill Gates Sr pretty much chipped in the rest.

He was a good investment and salesman.  No doubt.

• Thanks 1
1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

You're right.  He started Il Giornale on his own.  He took in investors for a coffee shop.  One of those investors was the owner of Starbucks.

But he didn't "grow" his company.  It was still one shop.  1 year after opening his shop, the Starbucks owners wanted to sell for $3.8M.  They gave him first crack.  He took investors, again, for about $1.9M.  Then Bill Gates Sr pretty much chipped in the rest.

He was a good investment and salesman.  No doubt.

I fail to see how my statement is false.  Just because he had investors in his venture?  Because he bought a company and pretty much totally changed the business model to what he envisioned which grew that company from what you mentioned here to one worth billions of dollars....Oh...BTW....while doing it with fairly liberal policies.  

5 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

You asked why liberals don't support Schultz, and I gave a some reasons.

Thanks for the link. But here's why I think he's just a lousy candidate regardless of political leanings, he's just empty talk: "He just won't say how much more." He's running a campaign based on hot air. If and when he puts out something of substance, then we can actually debate whether his ideas and policies are good for America.

Like I said.  He needs to nail down specifics and prove he knows the issues and has ideas for change.  

Good Lord...we are what, 12 months away from the primaries.  If he is going to be a serious contender, he has time to formulate what he's going to do.

However, I fail to see how his past work history is something liberal voters would hate.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

I fail to see how my statement is false.  Just because he had investors in his venture?  Because he bought a company and pretty much totally changed the business model to what he envisioned which grew that company from what you mentioned here to one worth billions of dollars....Oh...BTW....while doing it with fairly liberal policies.  

I fail to see how my original statement of a billionaire being out of touch with today's middle class is false but you claimed it was.

Just because Schultz grew up in the projects and started a business "from scratch" in the 70's and 80's literally has zero to do with if he understands what is affecting the middle class today.

• Plus1 2
45 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Oh yeah, I forgot he dismissed the higher tax rates while saying he was a self-made man that knew poverty because he grew up in the projects. So he benefited from the social welfare programs that were paid for with taxes, and without those programs he couldn't have made himself into anything. It's ridiculous.

I also want to go back to this.  From what you know of him, how do you know he doesn't realize this and appreciate those programs?

Just now, StPaulHusker said:

I fail to see how my original statement of a billionaire being out of touch with today's middle class is false but you claimed it was.

The ONLY reason you said that is because he's a billionaire.  So...to you, all billionaires our out of touch no matter their background, how they were raised or family history.

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The ONLY reason you said that is because he's a billionaire.  So...to you, all billionaires our out of touch no matter their background, how they were raised or family history.

I've yet to see a billionaire that appears to understand what is happening to the middle class.  No matter the background and family history.

1 minute ago, StPaulHusker said:

I've yet to see a billionaire that appears to understand what is happening to the middle class.  No matter the background and family history.

Thanks for clarifying your negative bias against people simply because of their wealth and no consideration of their life history.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thanks for clarifying your negative bias against people simply because of their wealth and no consideration of their life history.

I didn't say their ignorance was bad.  Just that they are ignorant.  And that is why I suspect people have disdain for him running, or potentially running, for president.

9 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I didn't say their ignorance was bad.  Just that they are ignorant.  And that is why I suspect people have disdain for him running, or potentially running, for president.

Hey...all I'm saying is that now I know your bias against anyone who is rich no matter anything else about them.

Thanks for your honesty.

• Plus1 1