The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

33 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Good Lord...we are what, 12 months away from the primaries.  If he is going to be a serious contender, he has time to formulate what he's going to do.

I'm sure you know this but since Schultz is running as an independent he doesn't have to prepare for the primary. He can keep talking in vague platitudes until Nov 2020 and siphon off just enough votes to make sure Trump wins a second term. It's not that people are upset that he's rich; they're upset that him being rich is the only reason he's getting attention because he certainly doesn't have any concrete ideas. If he didn't have a billion dollars he would just be some dude running for President that nobody had ever heard of and would have never had a CNN townhall.

• Plus1 3

5 minutes ago, Whistlebritches said:

I'm sure you know this but since Schultz is running as an independent he doesn't have to prepare for the primary. He can keep talking in vague platitudes until Nov 2020 and siphon off just enough votes to make sure Trump wins a second term. It's not that people are upset that he's rich; they're upset that him being rich is the only reason he's getting attention because he certainly doesn't have any concrete ideas. If he didn't have a billion dollars he would just be some dude running for President that nobody had ever heard of and would have never had a CNN townhall.

Interesting.

I'm not interested in him just because he's rich.  I like it that he's successful.  But, to me, I'm interested in that he has been successful while doing his best to run a company as socially and environmentally conscious as possible.  

I've stated that he needs to nail down specifics for me to really consider him a true contender.  But, it sure seems to me that people are a dislike for him for two reasons.  a)  He's rich and b) he's not a Democrat....and it appears....if you're rich AND a Democrat, the Democrat part trumps the rich and it's OK.

I don't view either one of those as either disqualifying or strikes against him.  Some do.

• Plus1 1

I did the poll - no surprise about my # 1  John Kasich. 77%  I won't say who # 2 is because I 'm not going to vote for him.  But 3 John Delaney Dem 55% - who is that?  4 Tulsi Babbard (54%) 5.  Amy Lobuchar 52%,  6. Peter Buttigieg 51%.     Of the Dems I'm not surprised by Tulsi and Amy being in my top 5.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

I find the disdain for Schultz interesting from more liberal people here.  I understand it from the right.  But, I'm scratching my head about the pushback from the left.

When he ran Starbucks, he ran it, in many ways, with fairly liberal policies.  For instance, he reduced the number of hours worked to receive healthcare benefits from 32 to 20.  He realized that many of his employees only worked 20 hours and they still needed healthcare.  Those same 20 hour a week employees were included in receiving ownership in the company with discounted stocks along with a 401K match.  He also raised the wages in the company so those same employees are making way above minimum wage.

He talks very openly about how his success was aided by others and they should share in that success.  I've always thought that's what we wanted out of our leaders.

LINK

They also have company initiatives to ensure that their coffees are grown and sold as environmentally friendly as possible.

LINK

Now, as far as policies with his run for President, yes, we need to hear more.  He needs to prove he's knowledgable on the subjects and has realistic ideas.  

Is the disdain for him based on the fact that he's a successful business man and rich?

Because he is running as an independent and has no shot at winning.  That means he will take votes away from the democratic nomination and possibly help elect Trump again.

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Nothing I've quoted of yours above has been doctored.  

You knew I was speaking directly about wealthy people running for president of the United States with ZERO political experience not understanding the middle class.  Don't say you didn't because that is what this entire thread is about.  Running for president.

2 hours ago, StPaulHusker said:

I think the disdain people have for Schultz and others is that they have a very different view of what America is like compared to the vast majority of the public.  

Trump, for instance, thought his highest ranking generals made $5M/year (It's around $180-$200K)

Schultz has no idea what food in a grocery store costs.

I'm not saying that makes them bad.  It just makes them appear to be unaware of what the middle class is.  So there is going to be apprehension of trust, disdain, etc

I didn't say ALL rich people.  Like you said I did.   Now tell me again how you quoted me exactly and didn't doctor my quotes.

59 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thanks for clarifying your negative bias against people simply because of their wealth and no consideration of their life history.

46 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hey...all I'm saying is that now I know your bias against anyone who is rich no matter anything else about them.

Thanks for your honesty.

40 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well....that's basically what you have said.

Not sure how you could be more clear.

29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I quoted your exact words.  You specifically stated that a person's net worth tells you that they are ignorant.  Are you needing to clarify more?  

5 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

I didn't say ALL rich people.  Like you said I did.   Now tell me again how you quoted me exactly and didn't doctor my quotes.

Hmmmm....let's see.

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thanks for clarifying your negative bias against people simply because of their wealth and no consideration of their life history.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I've yet to see a billionaire that appears to understand what is happening to the middle class.  No matter the background and family history.

1 hour ago, StPaulHusker said:

I didn't say their ignorance was bad.  Just that they are ignorant.  And that is why I suspect people have disdain for him running, or potentially running, for president.

The bolded quotes aren't just talking about people "running for President."  You are talking about rich people in general.  

You still haven't shown where I misquoted you.  I have not doctored any quotes I posted of yours.

• Plus1 1
1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Hmmmm....let's see.

The bolded quotes aren't just talking about people "running for President."  You are talking about rich people in general.  

You still haven't shown where I misquoted you.  I have not doctored any quotes I posted of yours.

YOU are lumping all rich people together.  Not me.  I'm talking about the ones that run for the highest public office with no experience.

If you want to infer that, I can't change your mind.  If you want to start a new thread about what we all think about ALL rich people and ALL rich people in government, go ahead.  

I still stand behind my opinion that Schultz, due to HIS wealth, doesn't have a grasp of the middle class as it is today and that is why I ASSUME people don't trust him or don't like him.  And I don't believe that because of where he grew up 60 years ago has any bearing on him understanding today's problems.

If he wants to prove me wrong, why not run for local office first? 

7 minutes ago, StPaulHusker said:

YOU are lumping all rich people together.  Not me.  I'm talking about the ones that run for the highest public office with no experience.

If you want to infer that, I can't change your mind.  If you want to start a new thread about what we all think about ALL rich people and ALL rich people in government, go ahead.  

I still stand behind my opinion that Schultz, due to HIS wealth, doesn't have a grasp of the middle class as it is today and that is why I ASSUME people don't trust him or don't like him.  And I don't believe that because of where he grew up 60 years ago has any bearing on him understanding today's problems.

If he wants to prove me wrong, why not run for local office first? 

Thanks for the clarification.  

Again, my quotes of yours above never were altered and I didn't change what you said.

So, you don't think rich people should run for President.  Do you have a dollar figure in mind on net worth that is your limit?

2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Thanks for the clarification.  

Again, my quotes of yours above never were altered and I didn't change what you said.

So, you don't think rich people should run for President.  Do you have a dollar figure in mind on net worth that is your limit?

I don't believe someone should use their wealth as the starting point for running for president.  I prefer to have my candidates have some sort of experience in political office before they try to hold the most powerful seat in the world.

• Fire 1