The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

On 5/23/2019 at 8:12 AM, deedsker said:

I didn't read your sentence well enough and was like, "Dang, not Warren!". I proceeded to read the quoted section and by the end I was like, "Good for her. Good for her."

Then I realized what you actually said and I am like. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

She is starting to come across as a person wt 'gravitas' - the word battered about in 2000.  She has depth and seems to walk the talk.  The headline for the article is misleading and the story it seems wants to paint her as a 1%er who had divided interest and not really for the 'forgotten man'.   After reading the article, I'm more impressed.  

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, TGHusker said:

She is starting to come across as a person wt 'gravitas' - the word battered about in 2000.  She has depth and seems to walk the talk.  The headline for the article is misleading and the story it seems wants to paint her as a 1%er who had divided interest and not really for the 'forgotten man'.   After reading the article, I'm more impressed.  

She got paid whatever it was to actually hold offenders accountable for the issues they created and didn’t allow bankruptcy to just leave the victims out to dry. 

Not necessarily this case, but bankruptcy does get used to cut off the bleeding of one company, limit its’ liabilities to a wealthy owner who turns around and starts a similar company with all the same issues all over again. Good to see her actually get retribution for her clients.

To Bernie supporters:  I'd like to know your thoughts on this:  if Bernie is denied the nomination will he become a spoiler?

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/445859-democrats-worry-bernie-sanders-could-play-spoiler

Democrats are worried that if he doesn’t win the party’s presidential nomination himself, Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) will be a thorn in the side of the Democratic nominee for president — especially if it’s former Vice President Joe Biden.

The Democrats worry that Sanders won’t be a team player if he loses, and that he and his supporters will be particularly problematic if Biden or another rival seen as out of step with progressives comes out on top.

“I think Bernie will do everything in his power to elevate himself by pushing others down,” said one aide to a Democratic senator. 

A senior aide to a second Democratic senator said concerns about Sanders dividing the party next year are widely held, even though everyone in the Senate Democratic Conference is holding their tongue for fear of making things even worse.

The aide said that when it comes to Sanders, there is a concern among Biden supporters that “this guy is going to play spoiler again.” 

The worries follow a bitter 2016 primary fight between Sanders and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton, who won the nomination and then was defeated by President Trump in the Electoral College.

20 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

To Bernie supporters:  I'd like to know your thoughts on this:  if Bernie is denied the nomination will he become a spoiler?

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/445859-democrats-worry-bernie-sanders-could-play-spoiler

What do they mean by “play spoiler again.” After he lost the primary he didn’t run for president. How did he play spoiler last time? Are they saying his attempt to win the nomination was “playing spoiler”?  If so, they’re idiots.

Some Democrats have blamed Sanders in part for that outcome, arguing he stayed in the primary against Clinton too long and that he did not do enough to bring his supporters on board in November.”

^ Sorry, but that is not “playing spoiler.” If they’re blaming Sanders for Clinton losing, they’re stupid. A big part of losing the election was their own damn fault for helping Clinton get nominated.

• Plus1 2

The DNC is such a joke. They say the democrats need to unify, yet they smear Sanders every chance they get. Then when he fights back, they say hes not a team player. He got screwed in 2016, but still campaigned for Clinton during the general election. 

They are trying to screw him again this election and then will blame him again if they lose. I hope he runs as an independent. Just to spite them. 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

What do they mean by “play spoiler again.” After he lost the primary he didn’t run for president. How did he play spoiler last time? Are they saying his attempt to win the nomination was “playing spoiler”?  If so, they’re idiots.

Some Democrats have blamed Sanders in part for that outcome, arguing he stayed in the primary against Clinton too long and that he did not do enough to bring his supporters on board in November.”

^ Sorry, but that is not “playing spoiler.” If they’re blaming Sanders for Clinton losing, they’re stupid. A big part of losing the election was their own damn fault for helping Clinton get nominated.

I agree 100% wt the bold.  I think it is becoming evident that the 'next in line' candidate is Biden.   The Dem establishment want to play it safe at a time when we don't need safe, we need new ideas, not old. 

• Thanks 1
50 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

The DNC is such a joke. They say the democrats need to unify, yet they smear Sanders every chance they get. Then when he fights back, they say hes not a team player. He got screwed in 2016, but still campaigned for Clinton during the general election. 

They are trying to screw him again this election and then will blame him again if they lose. I hope he runs as an independent. Just to spite them. 

Voting Trump out is more important than that.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
27 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

I agree 100% wt the bold.  I think it is becoming evident that the 'next in line' candidate is Biden.   The Dem establishment want to play it safe at a time when we don't need safe, we need new ideas, not old.  

Biden is next in line because he has the most support among Democrats who will vote in their primary. For crying out loud, it's not some conspiracy by the establishment.

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

In what ways are they trying to screw him?

They adopted a lot of his recommendations about the primary and debates to make them more democratic.

From where I sit Bernie's levied a ton of criticisms at Biden, too. But progressives dismiss it as merely talking about Biden's record. Why are Bernie's criticisms of Joe and the Democratic Party in general OK but no critique of Bernie is OK?

In general it seems like Bernie's supporters are hypersensitive to criticism.

• Plus1 2