The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

On 6/11/2019 at 10:03 PM, Danny Bateman said:

Definitely.

Which is why this census citizenship question case being heard by SCOTUS is so problematic. They're trying to exacerbate that problem by shifting representation and resources away from areas with more noncitizens (typically Democratic) and toward white, more Republican areas. Completely jacked up. 

Speaking of the Census issue:

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I’m glad for this decision. 

But, I have mixed reaction to the whole thing. 

We should be able to have a question like this. It actually is an important bit of info. 

But, I don’t trust this administration to do something ethical with the info. 

And.....an important bit, I seriously doubt if a significant number of illegal aliens filled these questionnaires out anyway.    

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
29 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

We should be able to have a question like this. It actually is an important bit of info. 

And.....an important bit, I seriously doubt if a significant number of illegal aliens filled these questionnaires out anyway.    

I would be perfectly fine with the question being added, if gerrymandering were addressed and fixed enough to make elections a lot more democratic, and the House votes recalculated to represent the state populations. I want everything to be fair and make sense.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm fine with the bolded.

The problem is we have another survey that already gives us that data.

Later, the census added the American Community Survey, conducted every year and sent to 3.5 million households. It began being fully implemented in 2005. It asks many of the same questions as the census long-form surveys from 1970 to 2000, including the citizenship question.

If they want better data they could improve the ACS. The reason messing with the census is so problematic is they were very clearly doing it for partisan advantage instead of legitimately seeking to improve our data collection. So you're right in saying not to trust them.

Kamala Harris now in a tie wt Biden.  The debate has had its affect for sure.  Biden is trending downward faster than a boulder thrown off of a Grand Canyon cliff.  While Harris is the new shooting star - going from 7% to a 22% tie wt Uncle Joe.    With her legal background, she may be the more effective debater against Trump and probably could effectively communicate

his unfitness for office.  What concerns me is that at times she (and others in the pre-primary stage) has been quick to race to the  left edges only to retract or 'clarify' (the word for 'opps I made a mistake in what I said earlier but I'm not going to tell you I made a mistake) some things she has said.  In the general election, she may have to moderate some of her positions to gain broader support. 

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/joe-biden-kamala-harris-virtual-tie-democratic-nomination-new-poll-n1025656

Sen. Kamala Harris of California has catapulted into a virtual tie with former Vice President Joe Biden in the race for the Democratic presidential nomination — and she'smade significant inroads with black voters following her widely praised debate performance last week, a new national poll released Tuesday showed.

The latest Quinnipiac University poll of Democratic and Democratic-leaning voters showed Biden with 22 percent support and Harris with 20 percent — a double-digit jump for her since the university's previous poll last month.

Sens. Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts and Bernie Sanders of Vermont were in third and fourth place in the poll, with 14 percent and 13 percent, respectively. Mayor Pete Buttigieg of South Bend, Indiana, was in fifth, with 4 percent support.

No other candidate got more than 3 percent in the poll.

52 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

With her legal background, she may be the more effective debater against Trump and probably could effectively communicate

his unfitness for office.

Have to admit, this is a draw for me.  We need someone who is a very good communicator to articulate the case against Trump in debates and on the campaign trail.  Being a trial lawyer, she has experience going through the thought process of building a case and presenting it.  From what I have heard from her, she does it very well too.

45 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I'm some what encouraged by this.  Nebraska is basically at 50/50 on Trump.  I was prepared to see it something like 80/20.

Omaha is becoming blue pretty quickly.  Don Bacon only beat justice democrat Kara Eastman 52-48 I believe it was.

1 hour ago, Frott Scost said:

Omaha is becoming blue pretty quickly.  Don Bacon only beat justice democrat Kara Eastman 52-48 I believe it was.

It's interesting that in this data, it's under 50% for Trump approval.  Omaha isn't that big.  There has to be people in out state that don't like him too.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Have to admit, this is a draw for me.  We need someone who is a very good communicator to articulate the case against Trump in debates and on the campaign trail.  Being a trial lawyer, she has experience going through the thought process of building a case and presenting it.  From what I have heard from her, she does it very well too.

I agree. It was what set her apart in the Kav confirmation hearing.  Sen Booker was outclassed on the committee by her.