The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

25 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

We really need another billionaire who has no chance to run for president making the number like 30 now?

I can understand that.  I would take him over some others in the race though.

Off the top of my head.

de Blasio

Booker

Beto

Yang

Bennett

Gabbard

I'm sure there are others.

All have had their chance and have no chance of going farther.  They need to drop out.  I'm fine with someone like Steyer stepping up to see what he has to say.

Just because you wont get the truth from corporate media.

And in the least shocking news of the day, Kamala Harris is a liar and she is indeed taking money from wall street.  So not only is she lying about healthcare, but shes also lying about where her fundraising money comes from.

• Thanks 1

This wasn't who I would be thinking of to challenge Trump in the primaries.  Mark, aka Appalachian Trail, Sanford :facepalm:  Come on GOP - someone wt a bit of gravitas and moderate in policy has got to step up to the plate and challenge Trump after his (before as well) latest racial statements.

I do agree wt the final statement in bold below.

https://www.postandcourier.com/politics/mark-sanford-sc-republican-former-us-rep-considers-presidential-run/article_cedccc78-a7cc-11e9-aa4e-df38b5ba34a9.html

If he does get in the race, Sanford faces mammoth odds of getting any traction within the Republican Party. Hours after news broke of Sanford’s possible presidential bid, he faced blunt condemnation from his own South Carolina Republican Party.

“The last time Mark Sanford had an idea this dumb, it killed his Governorship. This makes about as much sense as that trip up the Appalachian trail,” S.C. GOP Chairman Drew McKissick said in an emailed statement. The comment was later shared on the S.C. GOP Twitter account, which features a banner image of a Trump-Pence campaign logo.

The S.C. Democratic Party also weighed in on the news and welcomed a possible Sanford run while also taking a jab at Trump.

“Always nice to see a candidate with fewer extra marital affairs than the president,” the S.C. Democratic Party tweeted.

State GOPs, both in South Carolina and elsewhere, would have to agree to hold primaries or caucuses pitting their current White House occupant against an upstart.

So far, only former Massachusetts Gov. William Weld has formally announced a challenge versus Trump. 

University of Virginia political scientist Larry Sabato, widely considered the dean of Southern political pundits, said Sanford’s potential long-shot endeavor could still make an impact.

Sabato said Sanford would come to the challenge with relatively high name identification both in South Carolina and nationwide.

“Is he a serious challenger to Trump? If you mean by serious challenger that he could beat Trump, the answer is no, but there are other ways to measure challenges,” Sabato said. “If he can make the argument against Trump, if he can rally whatever remaining ‘Never Trumpers’ there are out there, then he could have an impact.”

Never Trump Republicans have been trying to recruit a candidate to challenge the president, but have had no success.

Since leaving office in January, Sanford said he has been privately mulling whether to run for the nation’s highest office. He described the internal debate as a drumbeat that never went away.

“I’m a Republican. I think the Republican Party has lost its way on debt, spending and financial matters,” he said.