The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

About 10 years ago I was between jobs as I was going back to school for 12 months and purposely didn’t take a part time job to ensure my kids qualified for Medicaid. We lived off of my wife’s income and savings.

I know of a former classmate who works only for cash and won’t marry the wife of his children because it would be stupid to lose Medicaid.

We both personally benefited from the Medicaid system, maybe both unethically. But only one of us had something to hide.

14 minutes ago, funhusker said:

About 10 years ago I was between jobs as I was going back to school for 12 months and purposely didn’t take a part time job to ensure my kids qualified for Medicaid. We lived off of my wife’s income and savings.

I know of a former classmate who works only for cash and won’t marry the wife of his children because it would be stupid to lose Medicaid.

We both personally benefited from the Medicaid system, maybe both unethically. But only one of us had something to hide.

This is not a big deal at all and anyone that thinks it is...is a moron.  

32 minutes ago, funhusker said:

But the thing is that Biden did his actions out in the wide open.  He did it with the support of everyone that should be involved with the process.  You may rightfully believe he personally benefited, no one is saying you can’t hold that opinion. But at the same time, US policy moved forward with the actions that benefitted him.

You have admitted that Trump was looking for dirt and not much else.  Why would that dirt help US policy?  Biden may have personally benefited from “proper” US foreign policy, but Trump tried to personally/politically benefit from “improper” foreign policy.  That’s the difference, and a big one as I understand it.

Degrees of truth.  Vantage point.  Biases.  Control of different branches of government.  This is what drives me nuts.  One we can get outraged over, the other not so much.  I think Biden did just enough to appear clean.  That's pretty much it.

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

Degrees of truth.  Vantage point.  Biases.  Control of different branches of government.  This is what drives me nuts.  One we can get outraged over, the other not so much.  I think Biden did just enough to appear clean.  That's pretty much it.

Absolutely 100%

There is absolutely “degrees of truth” between the scenarios but you seem to equate the two. It’s not black and white, there is nuance, and that nuance absolutely matters.  

It really isn’t even nuance.  One person benefited from “existing” policy, the other tried to “create” policy to benefit them.  

Apples and oranges are both fruits I guess.  We shouldn’t spend so much energy figuring out which one makes better applesauce...

29 minutes ago, funhusker said:

@Redux In your own words: what is it that you think our position is?

There has to be a disconnect in our debate somewhere. It’s amazing that I can simultaneously agree and vehemently disagree with a person.  I’m kind of stunned :)

Trump is wrong for not getting proper clearance.

I just question whether that even truly matters to some because it seems like a convenience to be outraged by him.  Not everyone mind you but some.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Redux said:

Trump is wrong for not getting proper clearance.

I just question whether that even truly matters to some because it seems like a convenience to be outraged by him.  Not everyone mind you but some.

I feel like I can speak for many others by saying the outrage towards Trump is due to a culmination of countless examples of antisocial, narcissistic and generally poor behavior towards other human beings who in any way disagree with him or otherwise who he perceives as any degree of a threat to what he’s trying to accomplish.  Simply stated, he’s a major league a$$h@!e.  

Those people don’t get the benefit of the doubt and are on a very short leash in the minds of those, like myself, who are fed up with it.  

To me this isn’t a political thing, but rather it is a basic human decency thing. 

The president of the most powerful country in the world has no business behaving this way towards others. So when he does anything even remotely questionable or impeachable, you get what we have here.  

No offense, but drawing any parallels to what Biden either did or may have done is completely irrelevant.  

• Thanks 3

Judging a situation based solely off what the person did or didn't do is kind of my whole point.  People are getting way more outraged than they should over this fairly minor offense if I'm being honest.  The past couple presidents did more impeachable s#!t than Trump has.  Not liking him and using this as a way to get angry is kinda my whole point.

• Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

What f#&%ing reality have you been watching the past 3 years

The one where we entered a bunch of wars based on......not sure really.

Idk, being an a$$h@!e isn't really an impeachable offense in my opinion.  But he finally did something, technicality or not, worthy of impeachment.  So congrats.  I don't think it does any good for anyone in the long run, so forgive my lack of celebration.

• Plus1 1
56 minutes ago, Redux said:

The past couple presidents did more impeachable s#!t than Trump has.  Not liking him and using this as a way to get angry is kinda my whole point.

Please provide examples of what you would consider impeachable offenses by Bush and Obama. 

I’ve not liked Trump long before he got elected. However, I was willing to give him a chance to lead. He can’t. 

I’m not so much as angry at him as I am with those in Congress who baselessly defend him. 

• Plus1 1
10 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Please provide examples of what you would consider impeachable offenses by Bush and Obama. 

I’ve not liked Trump long before he got elected. However, I was willing to give him a chance to lead. He can’t. 

I’m not so much as angry at him as I am with those in Congress who baselessly defend him. 

In Bush’s case: lying us into a war. Green light on “enhanced interrogation”. 

Trump: emoluments clause, campaign finance violations/hush money payments, human rights abuses, 10 cases of obstruction of justice, and of course quid pro quo. There are plenty of things there, dems just went about it the wrong way

• Plus1 1