The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

I just don't get how Sanders is so radical. Our defense budget is over 600 billion per year. Student loan debt increased by 80 billion per year from 2003 to 2018. Reducing some of that is no more radical than paying 600 billion per year on defense, and I would argue it's less so.

I don't know if I think all of it should be forgiven, but I see no reason why we can't pick some professions college is free for. Let's start with teaching degrees and nursing/medical degrees and criminal justice degrees and go from there. That isn't anymore radical than spending 4x more than China on our military.

Considering universal health care to be a radical concept is just silly so I won't get into that.

Sanders is considered radical because this country is a$$ backwards in so many respects, and his radical label largely comes from those who profit from keeping the country a$$ backwards. His entire platform essentially boils down to ensuring a reasonable quality of life for everyone. If getting there seems radical it's because of just how far gone we are in this plutocracy.

• Plus1 6

7 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

This is what I meant when I said Sanders supporters are most similar to Trump supporters. A lot of then seem to detest anyone else on the left who is not in lockstep with them.

A bit more respect for others who are supposed to be on your side would be nice.

i don't think bernie is like trump....but he does have a fairly large group of supporters who remind me of trump bots.   

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
10 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

If enough GOPers pull away from Trump - he won't win those close states he won in 2016.  Weld's voters reveal a crack in the trump support.

I agree. In a state of only 1.35 million and 4 electoral votes, 12,000 REPUBLICANS showed up to cast a vote they knew wouldn't matter. In 2016, Trump won:

• Michigan (16 electoral votes) by 11,612.
  • Wisconsin (10) by 27,257.
  • Pennsylvania (20) by 68,236.
  • Arizona (11) by 84,904.
  • Florida (29) by 119,770.

And turnout in New Hampshire was really good, which Democrats need.

• Plus1 1

33 minutes ago, QMany said:

I agree. In a state of only 1.35 million and 4 electoral votes, 12,000 REPUBLICANS showed up to cast a vote they knew wouldn't matter. In 2016, Trump won:

• Michigan (16 electoral votes) by 11,612.
  • Wisconsin (10) by 27,257.
  • Pennsylvania (20) by 68,236.
  • Arizona (11) by 84,904.
  • Florida (29) by 119,770.

And turnout in New Hampshire was really good, which Democrats need.

I hope in November the voters send a very strong resounding message and Trump is thrown into the ashbin of history. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
7 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

This time of decade I miss New Hampshire.  Of course we always felt we had to correct Iowa, and we had an Osborne-like winning streak in the late 20th Century for picking Presidents.

This time NH basically ratified the way Iowa 'voted.'  Is this unprecedented?

Not entirely unprecedented, others have won both Iowa and NH.  No candidate has won both Iowa and NH and NOT been the nomination.   Either Sanders will win the nomination or we will see a historical fail.

• Plus1 1
55 minutes ago, sho said:

Not entirely unprecedented, others have won both Iowa and NH.  No candidate has won both Iowa and NH and NOT been the nomination.   Either Sanders will win the nomination or we will see a historical fail.

The votes are pretty close however.  If he can take Nev and SC then he will have huge mo going into Super Tuesday. Not sure about the weight Bloomberg's money will have on Super Tuesday but that is the unknown at this point.  Bloomberg and his $$s have not  been  a part of the festivities thus far. 

3 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

The votes are pretty close however.  If he can take Nev and SC then he will have huge mo going into Super Tuesday. Not sure weight Bloomberg's money will have on Super Tuesday but that is the unknown at this point.  Bloomberg and his $$s have been a part of the festivities thus far. 

Speaking of Bloomberg and his money:

Funny that Bloomberg is entirely self-funded. Remember when Trump had to sell hats to fund his campaign? Weird that a billionaire would have to do that.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

This is what I meant when I said Sanders supporters are most similar to Trump supporters. A lot of then seem to detest anyone else on the left who is not in lockstep with them.

A bit more respect for others who are supposed to be on your side would be nice.

I mean I watched the victory speech and you could hear some boos but most were cheers when he congratulated Buttigieg and Klobuchar. Every candidate has bad apples. Just like every fanbase has bad apples. It seems like the media likes to talk about how bad Sanders people are while ignoring all the never sanders clinton supporters. 

• Plus1 3