The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

My thoughts: campaign funding laws can be defeated with laws enacted by congress.  Abhorrent cultural ideals can only be defeated if clearly rebuked by the population.  Both will still be true if Trump is re-elected.  Only one if Bloomberg, and that can still be dealt with by a responsible Congress (fingers crossed).

edit: the 3rd party thing was my addition.  I assumed we'd agree that it will either be Trump or his dem opponent that wins this thing.

I don't think Congress can actually do much about campaign finance as Supreme Court rulings already struck down laws passed by Congress.

2 hours ago, Decoy73 said:

Money buys politics. That’s nothing new. Bloomberg is buying “no more Trump” and I’m perfectly okay with that. 

Bloomberg is also setting the precedent that the rich can buy themselves into political office. That's the next step on the road to oligarchy - instead of the rich having to buy politicians they can just buy the office directly. That's the end of democracy, and I won't vote for that.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

Did they run in those “purple” districts with adequate funding at their disposal?  Hard to win an election when youre up against the machine and cant get your message to the voters. 

Were about to see what a progressive candidate with unlimited money at their disposal in a purple district can do in CA25. 

No, its not their agenda. Public option does not do anything about prices as it keeps insurance companies in charge  Democrats run the house, yet their prescription drug prices bill only allowed 25 drugs to be negotiated for the next 10 years. WOW! How bold and progressive! 25 whole drugs! Give me a break. They work for the drug companies and insurance companies. 

I thought unlimited money in politics was bad?  

And AOC herself said just yesterday that a public option was where we're likely to end up - when Sanders' M4A bill is so far left that even Warren can't support it as is, he's essentially got one vote for it he would soon be losing if he's elected president - himself. So unless you think McConnell suddenly has a change of heart on M4A, it ain't happening. 

Even if Cenk makes it out of the primary, we've seen plenty of progressives try in these places and fail. I quite liked Ojeda in WV myself. But he lost too. There's a lot of circular reasoning that goes on as to why progressives can't win in these purple places - but in the end their track record is still terrible. The political revolution is not appealing to these places.

2 hours ago, funhusker said:

Wouldn't it be nice if people could run and be elected on their own merits and not be victims of the assumption that they will vote along party lines no matter what?

First, I guess, politicians would have to grow a spine and stand up to their parties once in a while...

I believe that's what these reps would have to do. They live in places that aren't interested in Sanders' agenda and are probably a bit freaked out by it. So they're going to have to run as independent thinkers who serve their districts rather than explicitly toeing the party line.

I'm seeing lots of opinions and narratives about Bernie Sanders that are very different from the same man four years ago.

It's almost like the guy who was widely admired for bringing energy, voters, and a more progressive platform to the Democrats in 2016 is now perceived as a genuine threat to be taken down with extreme prejudice.

Or maybe when people think of Sanders they're thinking of the Larry David impression.

Anyway, when people take the time to actually listen to Bernie, at least they get the appeal. 

• Thanks 1

Bernie also jumps ahead in Texas

https://www.texastribune.org/2020/02/14/bernie-sanders-leading-texas-ahead-super-tuesday-uttt-poll-says/

While Biden’s support was static, Sanders was surging in Texas, and Bloomberg was rising on the strength of millions of his own money spent on advertising after a late start. “It’s not so much that Biden has collapsed as that he has been exposed,” said James Henson, co-director of the poll and head of the Texas Politics Project at UT-Austin. “He had superior name recognition in a crowded field. The question was whether he would build on that.”

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

Bloomberg is also setting the precedent that the rich can buy themselves into political office. That's the next step on the road to oligarchy - instead of the rich having to buy politicians they can just buy the office directly. That's the end of democracy, and I won't vote for that.

I get what you’re saying and for the most part agree. I’m just to the point right now with Trump that I want him defeated by most any means necessary. If that happens because Bloomberg bought himself a presidency, so be it. I see it as easily the lesser of two evils. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

I thought unlimited money in politics was bad?  

And AOC herself said just yesterday that a public option was where we're likely to end up - when Sanders' M4A bill is so far left that even Warren can't support it as is, he's essentially got one vote for it he would soon be losing if he's elected president - himself. So unless you think McConnell suddenly has a change of heart on M4A, it ain't happening. 

Even if Cenk makes it out of the primary, we've seen plenty of progressives try in these places and fail. I quite liked Ojeda in WV myself. But he lost too. There's a lot of circular reasoning that goes on as to why progressives can't win in these purple places - but in the end their track record is still terrible. The political revolution is not appealing to these places.

I believe that's what these reps would have to do. They live in places that aren't interested in Sanders' agenda and are probably a bit freaked out by it. So they're going to have to run as independent thinkers who serve their districts rather than explicitly toeing the party line.

Cenk, along with Sanders, get their money from grassroots small dollar donations. Thats a little different than taking money from insurance companies and pharm companies like Buttigieg and others do. I dont like money in politics but thats the world we live in and Id rather them take small dollar from actual voters than lobbyists. 

Isnt that how you negotiate? You start off with the price you want and then negotiate down to a price where both feel like they lost. Buttigieg and others are already conceding before the negotiations even begin. Obama couldnt even get a damn public option because they started at a public option. I already said it prob wont pass...yet. But id rather have someone in there fighting with everything they have for it rather than someone who doesnt even really care about a public option. 

It takes longer than 4 years to start a movement in politics. Sanders started a movement 4 years ago. I didnt even follow politics back theb. The justice democrats came together in 2018 and the first year they were around got 7 people elected. Pretty damn good when youre a no name group. Many of the same ones, such as Kara Eastman who came within 2 points on Bacon here in Nebraska, are running again. Now that people know who the JD are and the grassroots funding they have now, these candidates should have a good shot. 

2 hours ago, teachercd said:

Will Biden's run go down in history as the worst run campaign ever or will it still be Hillary?

And...if he quits...will he endorse anyone?

I think you have to go wt Hillary.  The Dem primary was rigged for her. She had all of the advantages of big name, big money, operation, etc and she let traditionally blue states like Mi, Penn and purple states of Wisc and Florida slip into Trump's hand who was easily the worst GOP nomination in history.   Her arrogance and sense of entitlement deceived her into thinking she didn't need to work at it.  Plus calling a lot of people deplorable did not make her appear any more adorable. (Blowing out someone else's candle doesn't make yours burn any brighter!).  

• Plus1 2