The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

27 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

Pete made just over $100k as mayor, and Chasten earned about $50k (2018 figures) as a middle school teacher. The median cost of a home in South Bend is roughly $82k...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/30/pete-buttigieg-says-his-monthly-mortgage-payment-is-450.html

I honestly did not think or realize that there was a place left in this country with a median home price under 100K. That's crazy. You can't even get a sparse starter home around here for under 250K-300.

While it's logical to think that voters are in ideological "lanes", such that Warren voters would go to Bernie and vice versa, that's just not how people actually vote. Look at the 2nd choice candidate for voters and you'll see that Biden voters mostly have Bernie 2nd, and Warren voters mostly have Buttigieg 2nd. This head-to-head data shows that it's not as simple as voters moving to another candidate as an ideological block:

5 hours ago, Frott Scost said:

People I have no idea where this talking point comes from other than anecdotal evidence so of there is actual data to back this up show me but EVERY poll I see, Sanders does extremely well with independents. Back up your claims with facts or data and not opinion. 

Fair point but I just dont get how.. He is so far left that I honestly have nerves voting for someone that is that far left.

I tend to sit closer to the middle. I like my healthcare coverage. I am a fan of Healthcare for all but also like the idea I can still keep mine. 

Your evidence is noted.. I just have a hard time wrapping my head around it. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, TGHusker said:

So what do the local papers and commentators say about Amy?  Is she supported strongly there in Minn?

Thats just the thing, I dont know.... Most dont really talk about her.

She has pretty easily won election and re-election every time yet I just dont really know much about her.

She has gotten far more comfortable and I honestly think she is a strong candidate but just doesnt have enough to get her over the hump.

She seems to be supported  but not like glaringly. 

5 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Fair point but I just dont get how.. He is so far left that I honestly have nerves voting for someone that is that far left.

I tend to sit closer to the middle. I like my healthcare coverage. I am a fan of Healthcare for all but also like the idea I can still keep mine. 

What do you enjoy about your current healthcare that you wouldn't get under M4A?

I like my doctors, and they all take Medicare.  I would assume they still would.  But I think I'd actually like my choices "better" with M4A because I wouldn't have to go across town to see a doctor within my network...

3 hours ago, TGHusker said:

yes, if Warren drops - Sanders will be the nominee. Her best hope is a brokered convention I think.   The main stream dems will push for anyone but Bernie and may settle on a candidate that may be palatable to his followers - like Warren.  I think that is part of the reason, besides the push back she received after her rise to the top, she has somewhat moderated her health care plan.  I think she wants to play to the middle somewhat without letting go of the left.  Let's face it - if the Dems go to round 2 or 3 at the convention it is because:

1. Biden will be proven to be senile by then

2. They will see Bernie as not electable.   By then Trump & his Russian friends will be well on their way to cast Bernie as a communist.

3. Pete - will fade and seen as not experienced enough.  Trump bots will be trashing Pete's love life by then as well in order to inflame religious passion against him.

4. No way the Dems nominate Bloom - they can't go after corrupt trump if they have corrupt Bloom as nominee

So that leaves us wt Liz and Amy.    While I like Amy (if I were a voting Dem in a Dem primary) - Liz may be the candidate that would still excite the Bernie base (If they don't all just carry their ball home in a huff after Bernie fails to win the nomination) and with a moderate VP - she could pull in some Indep and GOPers who don't like Trump.   At the same time, I can see Amy as a compromise candidate - appealing to the moderates, younger than Biden, older and more experienced than Pete, and with an open personality to pull in Bernie supporters and appealing to GOPers and independents.    (In the background noise is the sound of Hillary wishing for a brokered convention so she can sweep in as the white knight to save the party)

If Bernie goes into the convention with the most delegates and they take it from him with super delegates, Trump wins in a landslide.  Bernie supporters would be done at that point.  I would still vote for dem nominee, but I will prob be one of the select few.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, funhusker said:

What do you enjoy about your current healthcare that you wouldn't get under M4A?

I like my doctors, and they all take Medicare.  I would assume they still would.  But I think I'd actually like my choices "better" with M4A because I wouldn't have to go across town to see a doctor within my network...

My fear is more that  it will create lesser care/longer lines-- Some of it might just be fear of the unknown but my current plan allows me to go to plenty of doctors and the coverage is good for my family.

I just think going to the way extreme with healthcare reform could create a lot more issues than we know. Would prefer a gradual change. 

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

You are literally the only person ive ever heard say they like their insurance company lol. Most people say they like their providers and nurses but not the insurance company themselves. 

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

My fear is more that  it will create lesser care/longer lines-- Some of it might just be fear of the unknown but my current plan allows me to go to plenty of doctors and the coverage is good for my family.

I just think going to the way extreme with healthcare reform could create a lot more issues than we know. Would prefer a gradual change. 

Fair enough. I get it. When people bring up “wait times” in Canada they are talking about elective procedures. Not emergency procedures. Its a scare tactic used bu insurance companies, drug companies and republicans. 

33 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I think its because, as someone in this thread mentioned a few days ago, the only reason hes considered "far left" is because this country is a$$ backwards.  Hed probably be closer to the conservative party in Europe and Scandanavia.  People are tired of being ripped off, seeing their family members not be able to afford prescription drugs, going bankrupt from medical bills.  People, including independents and republicans, are sick of congress only working for the rich.  Bernie gets 25% of republican vote in Vermont, so he must be doing something right for that state.

32 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Me too.  

And I think that's what we would get with Bernie.  Not because Bernie would want gradual, but because Congress would insist it be gradual if at all...

1 hour ago, BlitzFirst said:

Serious question.

Do people buy into the "Bernie Bros" narrative that the mass media is pushing?  Reason I ask is that I keep seeing them refer to Bernie Bros like they exist....and I've been to rally's for Bernie and I don't see them.  Seriously, I'm looking.

If you're not familiar with the term, see here:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernie_Bro

So, what does everyone think on this...being serious...a Warren supporter I know just lambasted Bernie in a discussion with me because of his 'Bernie Bros' and I was completely aghast about it.

I am fine with it and I really don't understand why a fan of Bernie would all of a sudden be upset if he was called a Bernie Bro.  

It is okay to like someone or something.  It is okay to really like someone or something.  If someone else has a problem with that...it is their problem.