The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

21 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I haven't been able to shake this all day.

$36B (a little over half of Bloomberg's 62.5B) amounts to $15,000 per month or $180,000 per year..........for 200,000 years. Is that crazy?

It is honestly something I can't understand.  Like, we all do the "what if you won 300 million in the powerball" thing...and that is dwarfed by his money...

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, teachercd said:

It is honestly something I can't understand.  Like, we all do the "what if you won 300 million in the powerball" thing...and that is dwarfed by his money...

I've got a pretty good grasp of millions. I thought I understood billions....until you see it put in perspective like this. I mean it's just math and numbers, right? Wrong. And trillions, forget about it.

• Fire 1
8 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Holy .......!

Can it really be accurate that Buttigieg only has a net worth of $100K? Heck, if you've even owned a house for 5 years you'd cover that unless you were goofy in debt.

I've owned my first home for close to two years. I'd imagine if I sold it I'd about break even on the deal with all the costs involved, and then I'm still about 30k deep in student loan debt (super reasonable for an undergrad and MBA). 3 more years of mortgage payments won't have me in a drastically better spot, let alone up to a net worth of $100k.

What world are you living in?

• Plus1 2
28 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

I've owned my first home for close to two years. I'd imagine if I sold it I'd about break even on the deal with all the costs involved, and then I'm still about 30k deep in student loan debt (super reasonable for an undergrad and MBA). 3 more years of mortgage payments won't have me in a drastically better spot, let alone up to a net worth of $100k.

What world are you living in?

The world of Colorado, United States, Earth, Milky Way galaxy.

Please keep in mind I am older and did not take into account Buttigieg’s younger age (or yours). I guess I’ve become accustomed to our elected officials and politicians all being multi millionaires. Nor did I realize there were still places in this country where you could actually buy a home for less than $150-$200K. Seriously, my home value has increased over $100K in just the last two years. And it isn’t anything special, it is about 22 years old and is worth 2.5x what I bought it for. A net worth of $100k or less is entirely plausible for persons under 40 and those who still have student loan debt. But if that person owned a home anywhere near where I do, their net worth would’ve also increased $100k +/- over the last two years. That is the world I live in.

The median net worth for someone Buttigieg's age is $40,000.

Anyhow, agree with @mrandyk. I have a good job but I still have a lot of student loans. My net worth probably won't be positive for another 5 years or so. Buttigieg's way ahead of me. He was in the military though, so student loans should be non existent. Unless he went to school first or he had to pay for Oxford. Edit: Ok, I looked it up and the military came after both of his degrees. They do back pay on that for some people but I think they were trying to reduce that.

• Plus1 1

13 hours ago, knapplc said:

Instead of running for president, why doesn't he just do the country a favor and buy Fox News & turn it into a 1950s-era rerun channel so all the olds get distracted with their favorite era and leave us alone?

Because he doesn't care about the good of the country, at least not anywhere close to the equivalent amount he cares about his own narcissism and ego driven quest for success. Same can be said for Buttigieg for sure, and Biden, and Harris. Maybe Warren. Not Yang or Sanders tho, imo. 

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3
12 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

Pete made just over $100k as mayor, and Chasten earned about $50k (2018 figures) as a middle school teacher. The median cost of a home in South Bend is roughly $82k...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/04/30/pete-buttigieg-says-his-monthly-mortgage-payment-is-450.html

11 hours ago, teachercd said:

South Bend is a pit...if ND was not there...that town would be gone.

It's coming back thanks to brute force gentrification by ND.  Pete B gets partial credit for not standing in the way.  But yes in general Indiana is the Midwest of the Midwest.  There are some houses that it would be hard to give away.

10 hours ago, RedDenver said:

While it's logical to think that voters are in ideological "lanes", such that Warren voters would go to Bernie and vice versa, that's just not how people actually vote. Look at the 2nd choice candidate for voters and you'll see that Biden voters mostly have Bernie 2nd, and Warren voters mostly have Buttigieg 2nd. This head-to-head data shows that it's not as simple as voters moving to another candidate as an ideological block:

Well I doubt any Sanders-heshethem has Trump as his next choice.  But campaigns pay a lot of money for that this type of voter preference info.  I suspect there's a Sanders-Warren lane and have heard some people quietly confirm it.   

I've seen this meme making the rounds:

First, Bernie's proposed TOP tax bracket is 52%, roughly the same as Ronald Reagan's first tax plan. It is for those making over $10,000,000 income per year, not anyone making over $29,000.

Second, even if we assume this hypothetical was accurate, said minimum wage worker now has full health care (no deductions out of his paycheck, no premiums, no deductibles, no copays, no surprise bills, no limits).

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
43 minutes ago, QMany said:

First, Bernie's proposed TOP tax bracket is 52%, roughly the same as Ronald Reagan's first tax plan. It is for those making over $10,000,000 income per year, not anyone making over $29,000.

Second, even if we assume this hypothetical was accurate, said minimum wage worker now has full health care (no deductions out of his paycheck, no premiums, no deductibles, no copays, no surprise bills, no limits).

I would be okay with a health care plan where if I personally don't use it that year...I get a full refund of all my healthcare taxes that I was forced to pay.

• Plus1 1

15 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I would be okay with a health care plan where if I personally don't use it that year...I get a full refund of all my healthcare taxes that I was forced to pay.

Dang that would be great.

If we didn't have kids, we'd get our school taxes back.

If we didn't go to Yellowstone we could get the portion of taxes that goes to NP's.

People who aren't enlisted and are against war would get the taxes used for defense spending back!

I only use like, .000001% of highways in the state, I should get a chunk of that back too!!!!

If I don't call the police or fire, that's a decent little chunk...

I think you should run for office Teach!! :thumbs

• Plus1 1
52 minutes ago, QMany said:

Yeah its wrong. 52% marginal tax rate for anyone making over $10,000,000. 

• Plus1 3
Just now, Frott Scost said:

Yeah its wrong. 52% marginal tax rate for anyone making over $10,000,000. 

Unfortunately people who won't bother to learn what Bernie's plan actually says will see stuff like this and believe it. Misinformation works on those who don't care about facts.

• Plus1 4