The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

Well take this for what it’s worth but I was a very solid conservative and republican up until a few years ago and I am now solidly in the Sanders camp. I read almost his entire list of policy positions on www.feelthebern.org and thought he was spot on with most issues. Sure there’s a few things I don’t care for but I’m hoping some of those don’t actually get any action (like employee ownership of companies). But I think he has the only solution to fix healthcare and to begin addressing the runaway wealth inequality problem. Throw in a healthy dose of wanting to punish the republicans for what they have become as a party and their complete lack of understanding the healthcare problem and you’ve got yourself a new left leaning independent.

Maybe I am rare but I would like to think there are many more like me who are tired of this sh#t and are open to trying something different since whatever we have been doing obviously isn’t working.

Welcome my friend. Glad to have you on board!

40 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

https://berniesanders.com/issues/corporate-accountability-and-democracy/

As president, Bernie will:

• Share Corporate Wealth with Workers. Under this plan, corporations with at least $100 million in annual revenue, corporations with at least $100 million in balance sheet total, and all publicly traded companies will be required to provide at least 2 percent of stock to their workers every year until the company is at least 20 percent owned by employees. This will be done through the issuing of new shares and the establishment of Democratic Employee Ownership Funds.
    • These funds will be under the control of a Board of Trustees directly elected by the workforce. Employees will be guaranteed payments from the funds equivalent to their shares of ownership as equal partners in the funds.
    • Workers will be guaranteed the right to vote the shares given to them through this plan. The funds will enjoy the same voting rights as any other institutional shareholder and their shares will not be permitted to be transferred or sold. Instead, they will be held permanently in trust for the workforce. Dividend payments will be made from the Funds directly to employees.
    • According to the most recent statistics, 56 million workers in over 22,000 companies in America would benefit under this plan.An estimate based on data from over 1,000 companies shows that directing 20 percent of dividends to workers could provide an average dividend payment of over $5,000 per worker every year.

This is just 1 part of his plan on this. Now this is a pretty progressive plan and I'm not sure I 100% agree with it but I wouldn't call that employees taking over companies 

Edit: @knapplc 

Yikes, this is a slippery slope.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

This makes no sense to me. I create a company, build it up, hire employees... and they get to take over my work?

This is one of those whacko ideas that will never happen in America. I'm OK voting for Bernie knowing this will never happen, but it's weird that anyone thinks this is OK.

I always ask people who think that is a great idea, why can’t those people pool their resources and start a company??  Or, if their employer is about to retire, but the company from them and run it how they see fit?

Nothing in America is preventing them from doing that if they want. But, to force that on a business owner is just wrong. 

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Nebfanatic said:

https://berniesanders.com/issues/corporate-accountability-and-democracy/

As president, Bernie will:

• Share Corporate Wealth with Workers. Under this plan, corporations with at least $100 million in annual revenue, corporations with at least $100 million in balance sheet total, and all publicly traded companies will be required to provide at least 2 percent of stock to their workers every year until the company is at least 20 percent owned by employees. This will be done through the issuing of new shares and the establishment of Democratic Employee Ownership Funds.
    • These funds will be under the control of a Board of Trustees directly elected by the workforce. Employees will be guaranteed payments from the funds equivalent to their shares of ownership as equal partners in the funds.
    • Workers will be guaranteed the right to vote the shares given to them through this plan. The funds will enjoy the same voting rights as any other institutional shareholder and their shares will not be permitted to be transferred or sold. Instead, they will be held permanently in trust for the workforce. Dividend payments will be made from the Funds directly to employees.
    • According to the most recent statistics, 56 million workers in over 22,000 companies in America would benefit under this plan.An estimate based on data from over 1,000 companies shows that directing 20 percent of dividends to workers could provide an average dividend payment of over $5,000 per worker every year.

This is just 1 part of his plan on this. Now this is a pretty progressive plan and I'm not sure I 100% agree with it but I wouldn't call that employees taking over companies 

Edit: @knapplc 

No F’ing way should a company be forced to do that. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
17 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Yes, first you give employees minimum wage and then provide them an stake in the success of the company?  

No...minimum wage is fine.

But once you start the other part you have started something that can be a problem.

I think companies that want to do that should do that, I do not think it should be something that they are forced to do.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, teachercd said:

No...minimum wage is fine.

But once you start the other part you have started something that can be a problem.

I think companies that want to do that should do that, I do not think it should be something that they are forced to do.

Why is it fine?  You are taking money away from the shareholders in either case.  The minimum wage law impacts small businesses more than Sanders' shareholder plan would.

14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I always ask people who think that is a great idea, why can’t those people pool their resources and start a company??  Or, if their employer is about to retire, but the company from them and run it how they see fit?

Nothing in America is preventing them from doing that if they want. But, to force that on a business owner is just wrong. 

No s#!t!

People act like starting a business is easy.  Most fail...it is f#&%ing hard work and sometimes a lot of really good luck.  Plus that person (people) are taking all the risks.

• Plus1 1

31 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Yes, first you give employees minimum wage and then provide them an stake in the success of the company?  

It boggles my mind that there are people who believe that someone who starts a business, invests and risks their life savings is then going to be forced to give 20% away. 

• Thanks 2

Bernie's policies are so anti-liberty that it's hard to know where to even begin dissecting the catastrophe of it all.

Forcing a company to do things like this is morally wrong; government has no place in making a mandate like this. This is the pitfall of democracy: Believing that as long as greater than 50% of the population believes a thing should be done that it's ok.

We should fight crony capitalism in Washington, but going down this road with the aim of expanding and giving better funding to government programs misses the mark of what a balanced budget should itself fix. 

If I understand Bernie's plan correctly - and anyone can correct this if it's off - I believe his 10 year plan costs $97 trillion, of which only $7 trillion will be funded by "government revenue stream." How will my children and their children shoulder the ridiculous weight of this debt expansion?