The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

26 minutes ago, Undone said:

Bernie's policies are so anti-liberty that it's hard to know where to even begin dissecting the catastrophe of it all.

Forcing a company to do things like this is morally wrong; government has no place in making a mandate like this. This is the pitfall of democracy: Believing that as long as greater than 50% of the population believes a thing should be done that it's ok.

We should fight crony capitalism in Washington, but going down this road with the aim of expanding and giving better funding to government programs misses the mark of what a balanced budget should itself fix. 

If I understand Bernie's plan correctly - and anyone can correct this if it's off - I believe his 10 year plan costs $97 trillion, of which only $7 trillion will be funded by "government revenue stream." How will my children and their children shoulder the ridiculous weight of this debt expansion?

You should checkout his feelthebern website and become informed of how he plans to pay for these things. Pretty sure going $90 trillion in additional debt is not the plan.

As an example with healthcare. I currently pay about $25,000 per year in premiums plus another min $3000 to max $13,500 for my share of actual care/drugs I use. If those expenses go away, how much can I then afford to pay in additional taxes? I’m wagering my money and my vote that it certainly can’t get worse than it is now.

• Plus1 1
9 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I don't know how I feel about that plan of Bernie's, but it should be obvious that what he's putting forth is in response to runaway greedy anti-human capitalism with little to no compassion or integrity. We're yelling at a proposed action designed to help people currently being grossly taken advantage of, when nobody else is offering ANY solution to help those people,  and many are fine to keep pushing in a direction that only makes it worse.

If business owners and CEOs of major companies weren't hoarding so much wealth while demanding the impossible out of their expendable employees for garbage compensation, Bernie wouldn't be putting this forward because there wouldn't be a problem.

We'll spend a lot of time yelling "BUT MY FREEDOM!" in response to Bernie's plan, but aren't spending nearly the energy caring about how inhumane these huge companies are.

IDK....I’m perfectly fine with taxing the ever loving hell out of these hoarding, greedy, capitalism abusing types but I gotta draw the line at having a policy that simply gives away a share of their company....because things. This one is so ripe with unintended consequences I wouldn’t even know where to begin.

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

What the F*** difference does that make?

I know some aren’t going to grasp this. But, a $100 million company is not a HUGE mega corporation. 

9 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Why?  There are companies started all the time that end up that large. 

Not sure the stats on this but it does seem pretty rare.  I found this quoted in a book with references but haven't seen the actual reference so it could be wrong:  

The percentage of firms to achieve sales of $100 million or more has remained pretty much the same since 1980, at 0.04% (that's 4 hundredths of one percent).  

19 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Come on...your kids and their kids will all have great jobs after they go to Pretend University where the tuition is free...then they can get a sweet job where they pay outrageous taxes to help pay for their "free" college and for the "free" college that this girl is going to get...  

Or it would help people like me who got their PhD, are ~200,000 in debt, did so under the understanding that there was public loan forgiveness, have had that loan forgiveness potentially taken away from me, work hard at a job but still have to pay an extra mortgage for my education. 

Yes, there are people who do dumb things, but some of those pretend universities are run by the POTUS. And no, the money is not free money. It's coming out of a tax levied on Wall street that is projected to make .2 trillion dollars more than forgiveness of loans would cost. 

This is without a doubt wealth redistribution of sorts. And there are a chunk of people who would be hit hardest by it who support it: https://www.businessinsider.com/billionaires-asking-for-wealth-tax-americans-disney-soros-buffett-dalio

This isn't pretend free college. 

3 minutes ago, FrankWheeler said:

Not sure the stats on this but it does seem pretty rare.  I found this quoted in a book with references but haven't seen the actual reference so it could be wrong:  

The percentage of firms to achieve sales of $100 million or more has remained pretty much the same since 1980, at 0.04% (that's 4 hundredths of one percent).  

The only way that stat is true is if they are including every single business that is ever started. 

But, again...what difference does that make?

4 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The only way that stat is true is if they are including every single business that is ever started. 

But, again...what difference does that make?

Why would certain businesses be excluded?

Yes, why try to make policy that is informed by facts and stats.

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Why does that stat matter?

Because you said these businesses happen all the time? And it’s not true?

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

What on Gods green earth makes forcing a business owner to give away their company stock if it gets a certain size make sense?

why are there small business exemptions for minimum wage?