The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Just now, knapplc said:

My guess, and this is pure speculation, is that they know Obama was a popular president, so they'll wait until Biden needs a boost (or Bernie, for that matter) and announce it then. I'm sure it's being held as a stratagem, not out of indecision on Obama's part.

Oh, I agree with this. I just imagine he could have used this when he was on his campaign deathbed not too long ago.

If Bernie loses, the Democratic party can't afford for Bernie and his bros to alienate themselves. They have to show up in November, regardless of the nominee, to defeat Trump. They can't stay home or flip.

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We're seeing two campaigns in play: the Not Trump campaign and the Not Bernie campaign. It's not so much who or what you actually believe in. Joe Biden was an empty vessel just a week ago and now everybody who knows what they don't want has decided they could live with Joe Biden. It's not a rousing endorsement of the Democratic Party, but it does have plenty of cold logic. 

If Biden gets the nomination -- and I'm pretty sure he will --- it won't be because the establishment Dems stole it from Bernie. It will be because the African-American voters in South Carolina made him viable.  

I think you're right. Of the two, I think the Not Trump campaign is the strongest. I think that, had Bernie emerged from Super Tuesday with the best chances of the nomination, the "establishment" would be putting their support behind him, even if it was a bit reluctantly. They're more accepting of Biden because he's an actual Democrat, while Bernie (like Trump) just glommed on to the party rather than run as an independent, which he actually is.

I can live with Joe Biden. I can live with Bernie. I could live with Warren, if she had a snowball's chance.

Basically, anyone but Trump.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Its been reported that Obama is the initiator of this plan to get everyone to drop out and endorse Biden. He made calls to Buttigieg the night he dropped out. And to Beto the day he endorsed Biden. 

Nope...it can't be true.

I have been told there was no sketch factor at all!

1 minute ago, QMany said:

Oh, I agree with this. I just imagine he could have used this when he was on his campaign deathbed not too long ago.

If Bernie loses, the Democratic party can't afford for Bernie and his bros to alienate themselves. They have to show up in November, regardless of the nominee, to defeat Trump. They can't stay home or flip.

By waiting, he makes sure his one endorsement counts for whomever becomes the nominee. Endorsing Biden, then having Biden lose Super Tuesday, would have made any future endorsement weaker. 

36 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I understand exactly what you are saying. If you would rather sit by than vote for Sanders it's pretty obvious you prefer things as they are as opposed to Sanders. 

Let me put it this way. If Sanders was the nominee and you preferred Sanders over Trump, why wouldn't you vote for Sanders?

Sorry, your first paragraph is way off base. 

Nominate someone else is the Dems want my vote. 

• Fire 1
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

You know, it's weird. I heard a story once (probably a modern-day parable) about a guy who dreamed of living on the coast of Costa Rica. He worked hard his whole life, built a business, saved his money, and was finally able to sell and move to his dream life. Gets his bungalow right on the coast, sets it all up, gets up his first day of retirement and grabs his fishing gear, and goes out to see the sunrise. Looks a little way down the beach and sees another dude doing the same thing, so he goes over and introduces himself. He tells the new neighbor his story, and asks where the guy is from, and he says something like, "I've just lived here my whole life." 

Turns out the guy could have done that any time. Living in one of those countries doesn't cost a lot. We're just conditioned to think we have to have all of this "stuff" to live right.

Yep, it is an option. I don’t have enough saved to retire here but I may be getting close for one of those low cost tropical locations. And actually Costa Rica is the one I have thought about the most. Unfortunately it is getting more expensive day by day. My biggest hesitancy is quality of healthcare and I’m just not ready to slow down that much yet. But as the handbasket appears to be headed towards hell at an ever increasing rate, it sure does make a guy think about it.

• Plus1 1

i can't understand progressives not voting for the dem nominee if it isn't sanders.    trump is the anti-thesis of what bernie stands for.   bernie wants healthcare for all and don wants healthcare for none.   bernie supporters want more SS and trump and the GOP wants to reduce it.   sitting on your vote means you are ok if trump and his policies win.   :dunno

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
55 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Not even my Primary vote will mean anything, feels bad man.

i live in deep red Nebraska.  i am voting like my vote matters even if it doesn't end up that way.  heck...maybe if enough of us who think our vote doesn't matter actually vote we can  make our votes count for something.

• Plus1 2

39 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sorry, your first paragraph is way off base. 

Nominate someone else is the Dems want my vote. 

Hey, I totally get this and understand. I happen to be in the same boat but on a different body of water. I would actually be somewhat excited to get off my a$$ and vote for Bernie whereas Biden.....not so much. And it’s not that I agree with all of Bernie’s stuff, far from it. I’ve just grown to somewhat despise Biden. I just don’t believe him. I think his little guy, middle class schtik is only for garnering what votes he can (almost exactly like Trump in that regard). Whereas I actually believe Bernie. And I know my vote won’t matter anyway. Colorado is going to whichever dem runs, just like Nebraska is going Trump no matter which dem is against him. Picking the lesser evil has devolved into who gives a F for me. Maybe someday we’ll get back to actually having viable candidate(s) we can support, but I doubt it.

Edit- and before a bunch of people jump on my a$$ and accuse me of supporting the status quo, if the choice is Biden or Trump, I will vote for Biden. It won’t be because I think it will help him win or because I like him a hair better than Trump but simply to send the message that this sh#t right now is not okay.

• Thanks 2
5 minutes ago, commando said:

i live in deep red Nebraska.  i am voting like my vote matters even if it doesn't end up that way.  heck...maybe if enough of us who think our vote doesn't matter actually vote we can  make our votes count for something.

Oh i'll be voting in both, just expecting the primary to be all but over by May 12, and Nebraska to be red come Election Day - but Ill be out there doing my civic duty.

• Plus1 2