The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

16 hours ago, RedDenver said:

What? Bernie has the most diverse coalition of any of the candidates.

It's not just bros: Sanders wins with a diverse coalition

BLACK VOTERS PREFER BERNIE SANDERS OVER ALL OTHER DEMOCRATIC CANDIDATES, NEW POLL SHOWS

Morning Consult polling has a website where you can see the crosstabs using a dropdown:

https://morningconsult.com/2020-democratic-primary/

He has done a lot of work with the Latino community and it has benefitted him.  He had not benefitted from the AA community.  

And those polls are interesting, but not matching up to who actually showed up to vote.  

5 minutes ago, QMany said:

It isn't rocket science. You vote for the Democratic nominee or you enable Donald Trump, a zero sum game in a way. Almost like the adage, "if you don't condemn it, you condone it."

An adage I’ve never agreed with...

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

He has done a lot of work with the Latino community and it has benefitted him.  He had not benefitted from the AA community.  

And those polls are interesting, but not matching up to who actually showed up to vote.  

I found this article interesting and I totally agree with it.

Biden's Super Tuesday surge seems to indicate the support of Democratic delegates.

But here is the thing - they are wrong.

The data suggests the exact opposite: Sanders is uniquely positioned to win the general election. 

The multiracial, working-class coalition emerging around Sanders - particularly among Latinos, young people and Trump defectors - could well propel the Vermont senator to victory. The task is mobilising these key constituencies, which the Sanders campaign is best positioned to do.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/mind-biden-bounce-bernie-trounce-trump-200303075057596.html

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Sorry, your first paragraph is way off base. 

Nominate someone else is the Dems want my vote. 

It's not off base. If you preferred Sanders you would vote for Sanders. There is no 3rd option. You either prefer the dem nominee or you prefer Trump. It sounds like if Sanders was the dem nominee you would prefer Trump, which is fine

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

My guess, and this is pure speculation, is that they know Obama was a popular president, so they'll wait until Biden needs a boost (or Bernie, for that matter) and announce it then. I'm sure it's being held as a stratagem, not out of indecision on Obama's part.

No former POTUS endorses until the nominee is selected.  Even on the GOP side (think George & JEB!)

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Anyone else thinking that the D's hate Sanders so much that if Biden were to die they would simply try to pull a "Weekend at Bernies(not Sanders)" and prop his body up on stage still?

Are you saying that isn’t already happening? I mean c’mon, have you seen Biden talk at his rally’s or in the debates. His mind and ability to rationally converse left him long ago.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I found this article interesting and I totally agree with it.

https://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/opinion/mind-biden-bounce-bernie-trounce-trump-200303075057596.html

All depends on turn out.  Heard a past campaign manager Say  that the Latino community is hard to organize and that the youth vote is hard to depend on showing up.   He may have their support but they are not dependable.

(on the road so will RSD the article more in depth this evening)

5 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

All depends on turn out.  Heard a past campaign manager Say  that the Latino community is hard to organize and that the youth vote is hard to depend on showing up.   He may have their support but they are not dependable.

(on the road so will RSD the article more in depth this evening)

The article addresses those issues and others. It’s not often I find an article that makes complete sense to me. I’d definitely recommend reading it.

IMO, if the dem nomination ends up going to Biden, it will simply be another example of how the dems squandered yet another chance of keeping Trump out of the WH.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

IMO, if the dem nomination ends up going to Biden, it will simply be another example of how the dems squandered yet another chance of keeping Trump out of the WH.

you mean more dems voting for biden in the primary  means bernie has a better chance of defeating trump in the GE?    i need some help understanding that line of thinking.

5 minutes ago, commando said:

you mean more dems voting for biden in the primary  means bernie has a better chance of defeating trump in the GE?    i need some help understanding that line of thinking.

I think it may clear things up if you actually read the article I linked that precipitated my comment. Other than that, it is just my opinion of who I think gives the dems the best chance of defeating Trump.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

By waiting, he makes sure his one endorsement counts for whomever becomes the nominee. Endorsing Biden, then having Biden lose Super Tuesday, would have made any future endorsement weaker. 

Basically what I have read is that Obama knows very different coalitions with support from opposing factions of the party are going to be going head to head to see who wins the nomination. And he's the only one broadly popular enough within the party to try to bring them back together after one is defeated. He views himself as the one best equipped to help heal divisions within the party and achieve unity in the fight to unseat Trump.

He was never going to endorse anyone during the primary because it would poison the well with the other group and hurt his ability to bring people back together after the primary.

18 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Are you saying that isn’t already happening? I mean c’mon, have you seen Biden talk at his rally’s or in the debates. His mind and ability to rationally converse left him long ago.

Nonsense.

The guy has always been prone to verbal gaffes. In that sense he's not as sharp as he was in his heyday. Half the time it's because he's working to suppress a stutter he's had since he was a boy. But this notion that he's a geriatric out there being propped up by his handlers is getting a bit out of hand.

Go watch a town hall of his if you want to see his ability to analyze and converse about complex issues. He's just not very good in debate settings.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1