The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Just now, knapplc said:

This is really neither here nor there, but do you guys remember when Beto O'Rourke was a candidate in this election?

That seems so long ago. I'd forgotten he existed until last weekend.

Good grief - completely forgot about that - when I thought of his endorsement of Biden, I mainly thought of him running against Ted Cruz in the 2018 senate race. Shows how little of a splash he made in my mind when he was officially running for president.  That does seem like a long time ago.

On 3/3/2020 at 8:34 AM, Danny Bateman said:

As opposed to everyone staying in so a wide field can hand the nomination to Bernie on a platter?

Sorry, not how it works. He is not just entitled to the nomination. He has to earn it.

It's collusion in an election right before your eyes.  Although I'm not that surprised you can't see it.

6 hours ago, funhusker said:

Hell, that works even for localities.  I don't know how many times my wife and I talk about how awesome it would be to live elsewhere even in the USA.  But it always comes back to the "comforts" we have in the Omaha area...

I'm guessing your cost of living is quite enviable.

2 minutes ago, Redux said:

I'm convinced Beto is an NRA double agent

At this time in 2016 I was screaming that Trump was a D-planted mole.  :ahhhhhhhh

15 minutes ago, commando said:

you know it's real when they go back to this or perhaps another caravan of immigrants.

The Migrant Caravan! I forgot they were coming to ruin America.  And Ah yes Hunter Biden, the old use corruption to try and prove someone is corrupt strategy that got Trump impeached last time.  Worked wonders. 

12 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

The Migrant Caravan! I forgot they were coming to ruin America.  And Ah yes Hunter Biden, the old use corruption to try and prove someone is corrupt strategy that got Trump impeached last time.  Worked wonders. 

Maybe, if Trump really wants to do something constructive, he should take the Wall money he stole from the military budget and put it toward combating the plague.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

4 hours ago, commando said:

i can't understand progressives not voting for the dem nominee if it isn't sanders.    trump is the anti-thesis of what bernie stands for.   bernie wants healthcare for all and don wants healthcare for none.   bernie supporters want more SS and trump and the GOP wants to reduce it.   sitting on your vote means you are ok if trump and his policies win.   :dunno

that's my entire political life.  many if not most anti-Trumpers support ALL of his policies and cannot articulate why they vote for what they oppose.   Just as well, it can be very painful to confront the fact that they are doing what the media tells them is right.

Back on topic, the delegate map is kinda boring https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/elections-2020?ocid=spartanntp

Bernie is winning the Left coast and Biden is winningthe places with a lot of non-white Ds.

17 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Maybe, if Trump really wants to do something constructive, he should take the Wall money he stole from the military budget and put it toward combating the plague.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bernie could donate two failed presidential bids worth of funds to fighting the Coronavirus instead of letting the DNC steal it.

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

OR, it has nothing to do with "I'm better than you," which is a trolling comment, and it's simple practicality.

Trump is the most corrupt, dangerous person in the Oval Office in our lifetime. Getting rid of him is, by any measure, the most important thing in this election. No policy comes remotely close.

That may be true or the way some people view it but it really annoys me when people get on their high horse and say things like “if you don’t do this, then it means you must be/do/believe this other thing”. It’s a false equivalency that drives division and fosters extreme views.

People that vote for Trump either prefer Trump or are voting against the other guy.

People that vote for Biden/Sanders either prefer that person or are voting against Trump.

But a person that doesn’t vote against Trump, that can indicate many things that do not equate to supporting Trump or being happy with the status quo. About the most that can be assumed is they may not hold the same level of disdain as you or some others do.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, TGHusker said:

I was thinking about this last night.  How in the world do we end up wt 2 - 77 + year old  people as the final choices. In 2016 we had a dumpster fire of 2 very bad old candidates.  Yes we had younger people in the primaries this time  - but how do we end up here?  Can we not find enough experienced Upper 40s- 50-60 year olds with enough charisma and maturity and policy skills to run for the WH?  I was thinking of Reagan's complaint.  While acknowledging how old he was - he complained that the Soviet leaders were all dying off on him so he could never negotiate an end to the cold war.  We got old Trump and now old Bernie and Joe.  Nothing wrong with old - we are all heading that way, but I am literally concern that all 3 of them could die in office during the next presidential term.   Obama was in some respects a generational change - younger than GWB.  I had hoped the Dems would have provided a younger nominee.

Yeah, hoping and wishing for better candidates is beginning to feel like a pipe dream. The choices have been abysmal and it sure doesn’t appear that it’s going to head in a better direction anytime soon or ever again. Every time one of these clowns gets elected it lowers the bar that much further for the future. Bill Clinton surely set some new lows but Trump has been feverishly digging to find bottom. Just the fact he still has any chance at all of being re-elected should indicate that our citizenry is not qualified to select a President and/or that our system is beyond broken. Really it’s a complete sh#tshow.

The more I think about it, I think I may just ask my kids who they want me to vote for and go with that.  I may suffer some of the pain but they’ll be stuck with the consequences for much longer.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

many if not most anti-Trumpers support ALL of his policies and cannot articulate why they vote for what they oppose.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/03/02/804873211/whiplash-of-lgbtq-protections-and-rights-from-obama-to-trump

https://www.newsweek.com/what-has-trump-said-about-global-warming-quotes-climate-change-paris-agreement-618898

https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2020/02/05/state-union-trump-makes-clear-his-aversion-public-schools/

https://www.bostonglobe.com/2020/02/17/opinion/trumps-xenophobic-travel-ban-punishes-americans-above-all/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-renewables-investment/u-s-clean-energy-investment-hits-new-record-despite-trump-administration-views-idUSKBN1ZF259

Most Anti-Trumpers are against: Immigration, LBGTQ rights, renewable energy, public school funding, assisting with climate change? Do you live on the same planet as us? Did you meet these Anti-Trumpers at a Trump Rally? Good god man that is one the most delusional things I've read on the internet and I read a husker football board daily!

• Plus1 2
40 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

People that vote for Trump either prefer Trump or are voting against the other guy.

This would be true if Trump were like any other candidate in American history, but he isn't. Anyone pretending he's the norm is the problem.

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This would be true if Trump were like any other candidate in American history, but he isn't. Anyone pretending he's the norm is the problem.

I guess I don’t see anyone pretending he is the norm except those who will vote for him and support him. Once again, not voting against him does not equate to pretending he is any kind of norm or to supporting him. And this is coming from a person (me) who is going to vote against him.

• Plus1 3
7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I guess I don’t see anyone pretending he is the norm except those who will vote for him and support him. Once again, not voting against him does not equate to pretending he is any kind of norm or to supporting him. And this is coming from a person (me) who is going to vote against him.

This was the argument people used in 2016. And when people pointed out that this would get Trump elected, and he'd be awful, we were told we were "on a high horse."

How'd that work out for America back then?  How about we don't slam our hand in that car door again?