The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Democratic turnout surges on Super Tuesday

Democratic voter turnout surged on Super Tuesday, exceeding 2016 levels in at least a dozen states and setting an all-time record in one of them.

In Virginia, the fourth most delegate-rich state to hold a primary Tuesday, more than 1.3 million voters cast ballots — a nearly 70 percent increase over 2016, when about 783,000 voted in the Democratic presidential primary. That surpasses a previous record set in 2008, when just under 1 million voters turned out.

In North Carolina, turnout was up by about 17 percent over 2016 levels. And in Texas, at least 45 percent more voters went to the polls on Tuesday than showed up four years ago, according to an analysis of vote returns.

In only one state did turnout decrease from its 2016 levels: Oklahoma. Fewer than than 304,000 voters cast ballots in the Sooner State’s Democratic primary on Tuesday. That’s down from about 335,000 four years ago.  

The increased voter turnout on Tuesday was driven largely by moderates, who helped deliver several key victories to Biden.

15 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This was the argument people used in 2016. And when people pointed out that this would get Trump elected, and he'd be awful, we were told we were "on a high horse."

How'd that work out for America back then?  How about we don't slam our hand in that car door again?

We’re splitting hairs here and we should probably stop. I basically agree with you about Trump.  It’s just a pet peeve of mine when people people make assumptions or blanket statements about others motives. It’s akin to saying anyone who doesn’t take a knee during the anthem supports systemic racism or Catholics who remain Catholic are okay with clergy pedophilia or any of hundreds of other possible examples.

• Thanks 2
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

We’re splitting hairs here and we should probably stop. I basically agree with you about Trump.  It’s just a pet peeve of mine when people people make assumptions or blanket statements about others motives. It’s akin to saying anyone who doesn’t take a knee during the anthem supports systemic racism or Catholics who remain Catholic are okay with clergy pedophilia or any of hundreds of other possible examples.

Imagine if you had this same passion about the atrocities going on in the Oval Office instead of worrying what others think about you on a message board.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fire 1

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Imagine if you had this same passion about the atrocities going on in the Oval Office instead of worrying what others think about you on a message board.

There’s quite a bit wrong with this.....but the high points.

Its not really a passion of mine and I don’t worry much at all what others may think about me on a message board. If I’m concerned about the perception of me at all it would be that I try to be fair and give others the benefit of the doubt rather than make claims about their motives. I’ve made it abundantly clear what I think and feel about Trump. If my disdain and dissatisfaction with him isn’t strenuous enough for you or others, so be it. Trust me, I’m not worrying about it. And I don’t have enough energy or the inclination to have that much passion for anything transpiring in the Oval Office. Terrible sh#t happens all the time, everywhere. I don’t have enough care or energy to get overly wrapped up in it. Cynicism can be freeing.

8 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Well, to be fair, that guy attacking him, yelling “disqualified” was a bit of a jerk. He may want to seek some help.

Maybe this is an example of why fewer and fewer qualified people seem to be seeking office. Nobody wants to put up with that abuse.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Well, to be fair, that guy attacking him, yelling “disqualified” was a bit of a jerk. He may want to seek some help.

Maybe this is an example of why fewer and fewer qualified people seem to be seeking office. Nobody wants to put up with that abuse.

Politicians need to realize their actions have actual consequences on peoples lives and they absolutely deserve criticism if they make a bad choice. I dont think the vet was wrong at all. Obviously hes mad at the decisions that were mad due to a lie and cost his friends their lives. 

1 minute ago, Frott Scost said:

Politicians need to realize their actions have actual consequences on peoples lives. I dont think the vet was wrong at all. Obviously hes mad at the decisions that were mad due to a lie and cost his friends their lives. 

He's certainly entitled to his opinion and politicians do need to realize their actions can impact others. But his rage also struck me as a little misplaced and a little out of place for the event. 

24 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

What a sh#tshow.

I feel for these guys and respect their service. War sucks. But this is the wrong way to go about things if you're trying to have an honest conversation with someone and understand their decisions better.

Seems to me these guys just wanted to shame Biden. I thought he handled it exceedingly well. There's nothing he could've said that would've pleased them.

• Plus1 2

10 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Politicians need to realize their actions have actual consequences on peoples lives and they absolutely deserve criticism if they make a bad choice. I dont think the vet was wrong at all. Obviously hes mad at the decisions that were mad due to a lie and cost his friends their lives. 

Biden does! He apologized for his vote and has said it was wrong.

I don't envy politicians because they have to make very tough decisions that affect everyone and are likely going to piss some group of people off either way.

But this wasn't about teaching Biden anything about his vote. It was shaming him for it and that guy wanting to take his rage out on Joe.

And sadly I agree with JJ. I'm certainly no expert but the main guy does seem like he'd benefit a bit from some help.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

What a sh#tshow.

I feel for these guys and respect their service. War sucks. But this is the wrong way to go about things if you're trying to have an honest conversation with someone and understand their decisions better.

Seems to me these guys just wanted to shame Biden. I thought he handled it exceedingly well. There's nothing he could've said that would've pleased them.

Agreed...I am not a Biden fan but this is stupid...

Look, that guy signed up...so no one "forced" him or drafted him to fight and I get that it sucks that they did have to go fight...but this is stupid.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Agreed...I am not a Biden fan but this is stupid...

Look, that guy signed up...so no one "forced" him or drafted him to fight and I get that it sucks that they did have to go fight...but this is stupid.

I've never put on the uniform so I don't have their perspective but I get the anger and disappointment the guy must be feeling in hindsight. Iraq wound up being based on a bunch of lies and was a terrible decision in hindsight.

I'm just not sure screaming at Joe Biden about how much he sucks in particular about it accomplishes anything. Maybe it made the guys feel better?

1 minute ago, Danny Bateman said:

I've never put on the uniform so I don't have their perspective but I get the anger and disappointment the guy must be feeling in hindsight. Iraq wound up being based on a bunch of lies and was a terrible decision in hindsight.

I'm just not sure screaming at Joe Biden about how much he sucks in particular about it accomplishes anything. Maybe it made the guys feel better?

Oh yeah...they get to tell Biden off (sort of) and I am sure it makes them feel better.  It would make me feel better.

9 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

No....if sanders wins the nomination, it ends up being like 2016....Nobody for me to vote for. 

Welcome to the Presidential vote my whole life.

9 hours ago, knapplc said:

2020 is just like 2016. If you don't vote for the main Democrat candidate, you're voting for Trump.

You can spin that with stuff about "voting my conscience" or whatever, but the reality is pretty straightforward.

This is a logical fallacy, but I think you know that.

7 hours ago, QMany said:

It isn't rocket science. You vote for the Democratic nominee or you enable Donald Trump, a zero sum game in a way. Almost like the adage, "if you don't condemn it, you condone it."

So you'd rather someone who won't vote for the candidate you support go vote for the candidate you're against instead of not voting?

5 hours ago, Landlord said:

I'll vote for Biden if need be, but I'll do it through clenched teeth and with a pretty somber outlook.

Reason being is that Biden won't DO anything. We won't make any real substantitve change or progress. We'll just maybe stop the bleeding a little for another few years, then open up another opportunity for someone on either side to take over and keep gifting away our country to corporate and wealthy elite interests. 

Some progressives won't vote for the dem nominee because the Democratic party is crooked, self-serving and calcified. Because they're desperate for any chance at actually taking some desperately needed radical steps forward. Because they'd rather hold on to their integrity and their vote than violate their conscience by participating at all if anyone else (read, anyone sold out to the tried and true Political Machinery™)‬. I don't agree with them, but it's not hard to understand.

This sums up my feelings pretty well.

• Plus1 2