The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

5 minutes ago, Landlord said:

This doesn't matter. It's always been easy to point at Trump's incompetence, and things haven't been great from the start. People still support him nonetheless. We have to stop thinking this matters in regards to Trump. 

You're talking about Trump's core supporters like NDJ. I'm not talking about those people.

Of course it matters to other people.

10 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

You're talking about Trump's core supporters like NDJ. I'm not talking about those people.

Of course it matters to other people.

The number of people it matters to who aren't already decided to vote against Trump is very small. 

He has a 45% approval rating. It's gone up since the virus outbreak. That 45% is enough for him to win 2020 with good strategy and an advantage of gerrymandering. And those people clearly don't see or don't believe or don't care about the remarkably easy to point out ads/media showing Trump's incompetency.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, funhusker said:

You echo my thoughts frequently on here.  And those ads are straight fire.  I also would assume that Trump would lose the election in the most humiliating fashion ever, and I would love it.

But I've realized over the past 4 years, my idea of civility, maturity, religion, compassion, decency, and appropriateness (political beliefs aside) do not match that of a significant amount of American voters.

I'm sure @Notre Dame Joe , and many others, are normal people if I were to meet them in line at the gas station counter.  I do it every day, I go to work with them.  And I bite my tongue knowing i have to keep a professional and or cordial relationship.  I have family members, same upbringing!, that are blinded to what "I thought" our common grandparents kindly taught.

For most voters, this is about "team".  Rosters be damned.  

Well said. I especially agree with the bolded. We're in the same boat there.

Luckily I've been in a good position where most of my family and loved ones, if they disagreed with me on Trump initially, have come around. My mom always despised him; my Dad voted for him in 2016 and now thinks he's an embarrassing boob. The brother I'm closest to definitely won't vote for him. My two younger brothers who don't pay attention to politics at all will regrettably probably vote for him. I asked my youngest brother (he's 18) and he said "I dunno, he keeps his promises." (lol)

Team definitely applies to the base voters in each party. But I agree with Knapp that there is such as strong anti-Trump sentiment amongst so many voters that if we put forth an argument about those things you listed - compassion, competence, maturity, civility, honesty - and various liberal reforms to the system it can be enough to win.

We'll have to hold our butts for sure but I think he'll have as good a shot as anyone else who ran.

6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

The number of people it matters to who aren't already decided to vote against Trump is very small. 

He has a 45% approval rating. It's gone up since the virus outbreak. That 45% is enough for him to win 2020 with good strategy and an advantage of gerrymandering. And those people clearly don't see or don't believe or don't care about the remarkably easy to point out ads/media showing Trump's incompetency.

I'm not paying too much attention to approval polls on this yet because A) there's a rally-around-the-flag effect and B) of course there's lots of room for upward growth when you go out and talk about cutting checks to people and sugarcoat everything and lie nonstop on live TV to the entire nation every day. People are going to soak that stuff up, now, before things have gotten too bad.

I'll start looking at them again in a month or two when we're in the throes of this and it's harder to bulls#!t your way out of every thing you've done wrong. When reality is smacking people upside the head and Trump is still running his one play, I'll be curious what they say then.

What do you think would be a more effective message to win undecided voters?

2 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Biden is an old seasoned politician who knows that people rally behind a war time President; and excoriate anyone who opposes him.  Even with the usual focus grouped teleprompter there is literally nothing Biden can say that would help Biden. 

When a reporter asks the President if he has anything to say to Americans who are scared right now, and the President says "you're a terrible reporter" a seasoned politician and general election opponent simply has to issue a statement to comfort and rally the American people. Like a real wartime President would. Any of us could have written Biden's statement in 10 minutes. It wouldn't have the word Trump in it at all.

This should be the easy stuff for Joe. 

• Plus1 1

5 hours ago, knapplc said:

I think a LOT of people feel the same way you and I feel.  I think @RedDenver and @Frott Scost and @BigRedBuster all feel this way, and I think we all have dissimilar politics.  But I'd happily live under four years of any of their politics than the guy we have now.

Change "happily" to "begrudgingly" and I agree.

But I continue to think Biden in 2020 is just like Kerry in 2004 - going to lose to an unpopular Repub incumbent.

5 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Change "happily" to "begrudgingly" and I agree.

But I continue to think Biden in 2020 is just like Kerry in 2004 - going to lose to an unpopular Repub incumbent.

It would be the loss of the century.  This would dwarf 2004 because Bush was normal politician who didn't go out of his way to be unpopular.  

But I think the Ds could pull it off. 

7 hours ago, Landlord said:

This is off topic, I apologize, but how does gerrymandering effect a Presidential race?

16 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Biden sexual assault claim gaining a little traction now. Corporate media would be all over this if it was Trump or someone in the GOP. What a shame. And liberals will turn a blind eye because dems good, GOP bad. 

Did he end up going to court over it?