The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

8 hours ago, funhusker said:

This is off topic, I apologize, but how does gerrymandering effect a Presidential race?

It's not exactly gerrymandering , but voter suppression works pretty well for the GOP because the Dems are disproportionately strong with the youth (college) and minority vote, which tend to have geographic clusters and may also have more difficulty meeting increasingly stringent proof of ID demands. Demands, of course, that are almost entirely GOP driven for politically obvious purposes.

They can also simply close down polling stations within these geographic clusters. Texas closed down more than a hundred since last election IIRC. It's happening all across the South. Even as populations rise, the number of polling stations decline --- interestingly enough where black and latino numbers are high and GOP led state governments can pull this s#!t.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/02/texas-polling-sites-closures-voting

• Plus1 1
34 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I'm proud of the way she is handling it and I find the fact Trump slimes individual governors in a time of crisis incredibly gross.

Danny, are you moving to Michigan?  If so I wish you luck on the new adventure

Regarding the bold:  Times of crisis or pressure brings out the real person - who they are inside.  In Trump's case, since he was already a slime ball, it just amplifies his incredible gross personality.  As we have seen, he makes the C-19 news conferences a campaign event - overstating what they have done and the quote "incredible job" they have done, promoting himself, throwing insults at reporters and the media in general.

I think most thinking people know this: We do not have a leader in the WH during this crisis. We have a petulant child who is very weak emotionally and very shallow intellectually - not withstanding his "very stable genius' claim.   Regardless of one's thoughts about his political positions, Mike Pence sounds more presidential at the podium than Trump - put that also goes for most of the others at the news conferences - esp the experts. 

2 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It's not exactly gerrymandering , but voter suppression works pretty well for the GOP because the Dems are disproportionately strong with the youth (college) and minority vote, which tend to have geographic clusters and may also have more difficulty meeting increasingly stringent proof of ID demands. Demands, of course, that are almost entirely GOP driven for politically obvious purposes.

They can also simply close down polling stations within these geographic clusters. Texas closed down more than a hundred since last election IIRC. It's happening all across the South. Even as populations rise, the number of polling stations decline --- interestingly enough where black and latino numbers are high and GOP led state governments can pull this s#!t.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2020/mar/02/texas-polling-sites-closures-voting

Thanks for the response.  I don't see "voter suppression" and "gerrymandering" as the same either.  But I definitely see how they both negatively effect election fairness.

44 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

That's going to be my governor in a few months!

I'm proud of the way she is handling it and I find the fact Trump slimes individual governors in a time of crisis incredibly gross.

Also, I think some of the governors have really shined during the crisis. Many have tried to get out ahead of it the best they could.  Many I fear might be hampered because they aren't on trump's good side. 

As I mentioned before, Cuomo has shown real leadership.

16 hours ago, Landlord said:

The number of people it matters to who aren't already decided to vote against Trump is very small. 

He has a 45% approval rating. It's gone up since the virus outbreak. That 45% is enough for him to win 2020 with good strategy and an advantage of gerrymandering. And those people clearly don't see or don't believe or don't care about the remarkably easy to point out ads/media showing Trump's incompetency.

Yes and no. There's a myth about swing voters and the Democrats keep chasing it, thinking they just need to grab some disgruntled Republicans and independents to put them over the top. Those numbers just aren't there. The much bigger number is the non-voter and pole-sitter -- can you inspire people who think the whole system sucks? 

But if you really get into the weeds, the 2016 election did turn on a shockingly small number of votes in select counties in Pennsylvania, Michigan, and Wisconsin, most likely suburban voters who leaned Dem but didn't like being taken for granted by Hillary Clinton, just didn't like her, or wanted generic change. You'd only need to find a couple hundred thousand people who consider Trump a disappointment, and Joe Biden preferable to Hillary. 

• Plus1 1
59 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

Biden sexual assault claim gaining a little traction now. Corporate media would be all over this if it was Trump or someone in the GOP. What a shame. And liberals will turn a blind eye because dems good, GOP bad. 

I don’t know how to feel about this. If it’s true he absolutely should be out of the race. But on the other side of the coin she had a consistent story of him making her uncomfortable with touching her neck for years, and the story changed to this as he became the clear front runner. And she seems like she has a long history of political posts, a lot of which are pro Russia - Which also raises some red flags. I guess what I’m trying to say is I wish bigger media sources would look at this to obtain more facts. 

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I don’t know how to feel about this. If it’s true he absolutely should be out of the race. But on the other side of the coin she had a consistent story of him making her uncomfortable with touching her neck for years, and the story changed to this as he became the clear front runner. And she seems like she has a long history of political posts, a lot of which are pro Russia - Which also raises some red flags. I guess what I’m trying to say is I wish bigger media sources would look at this to obtain more facts. 

She explains all of those questions in the interview here including the Russia stuff. Give it a listen. 

• Thanks 1
22 minutes ago, Frott Scost said:

She explains all of those questions in the interview here including the Russia stuff. Give it a listen. 

I watched it, again I don’t want to completely dismiss what she says, but she promoted this story with #bernie2020 tweets so she says it isn’t political, but the timing and the tweets are very political. And I still don’t know what to make but of the pro Putin blog, you could understand my skepticism with Russia actively involved with election interference. At the end of the day I just want to know what really happened, I can’t play judge and jury on this without facts - and I felt the same with Kavanaugh - far be it for me to blanket believe one side, when I truly have no idea what took place. 

7 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I watched it, again I don’t want to completely dismiss what she says, but she promoted this story with #bernie2020 tweets so she says it isn’t political, but the timing and the tweets are very political. And I still don’t know what to make but of the pro Putin blog, you could understand my skepticism with Russia actively involved with election interference. At the end of the day I just want to know what really happened, I can’t play judge and jury on this without facts - and I felt the same with Kavanaugh - far be it for me to blanket believe one side, when I truly have no idea what took place. 

Yeah, but it is important to look into. We both know if it was Trump it would be brought up. Also Kavanaugh. Sometimes people put hashtags to get the most views and get it out there, not necessarily because thats what they believe and what not. If you put the hashtag of something that is trending or something that is popular more people see it. She did say in interview she is a lifelong dem that voted Clinton and Obama and was for Warren this time around but wanted Bernie when she dropped bc she will not vote for Biden. 

I haven't had a chance to look into the Biden allegation yet, but the first headline I read was that the accuser tried giving the story to Time's Up, and they didn't want it.

Since their whole mission is to expose sexual assault on behalf of powerful men, that immediately made me skeptical as to the story's reliability.

1 minute ago, Frott Scost said:

Yeah, but it is important to look into. We both know if it was Trump it would be brought up. Also Kavanaugh. Sometimes people put hashtags to get the most views and get it out there, not necessarily because thats what they believe and what not. If you put the hashtag of something that is trending or something that is popular my people see it. She did say in interview she is a lifelong dem that voted Clinton and Obama and was for Warren this time around but wanted Bernie when sue dropped bc she will not vote for Biden. 

Agreed, it needs to be looked into. I just think it’s a slippery slope to shut down campaigns on unconfirmed allegations, it incentives false allegations for political gain. Hopefully a media outlet with resources can get us answers to the many questions. 

3 minutes ago, Landlord said:

I haven't had a chance to look into the Biden allegation yet, but the first headline I read was that the accuser tried giving the story to Time's Up, and they didn't want it.

Since their whole mission is to expose sexual assault on behalf of powerful men, that immediately made me skeptical as to the story's reliability.

The accuser answers that in the interview also and the intercept wrote about it. 

Peanuts compared to what Trump has been accused of.  Bernie lovers need to accept and move on.  Looking for ways to bash Biden when the alternative is another four for Trump is mind boggling.  Unless, of course you prefer Trump.  In that case, bash away.