The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

12 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

There probably is.  I just think that most, myself included have accepted that it’s going to be Biden.  And if getting behind the candidate that ultimately opposes Trump In November is your M.O., then why continue to spread “dirt “ on said candidate?   

While the momentum is clearly in Biden's favor, not all of us think he can beat Trump and are hoping for a dramatic turnaround. If these allegations are true, this will be the latest in many issues showing Biden isn't a good candidate. And I have no intention of "getting behind" Biden even if he's the nominee. I'll reluctantly vote for him over Trump but that's it. And what you call "dirt", I call "news". And I'm not only ok with spreading news, but I encourage it.

1 minute ago, Decoy73 said:

I agree. Hopefully one will be the VP, which could mean they might have to finish the term, or at least be in stronger position for 2024.  I basically see Biden as a steppingstone.  

There's becoming a better case for Biden getting the nomination and then stepping aside for his VP pick. I don't think that's likely, but it's a really weird time in politics.

3 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

While the momentum is clearly in Biden's favor, not all of us think he can beat Trump and are hoping for a dramatic turnaround. This is just the latest in many issues showing Biden isn't a good candidate. And I have no intention of "getting behind" Biden even if he's the nominee. I'll reluctantly vote for him over Trump but that's it. And what you call "dirt", I call "news". And I'm not only ok with spreading news, but I encourage it.

* If true.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, Decoy73 said:

I agree. Hopefully one will be the VP, which could mean they might have to finish the term, or at least be in stronger position for 2024.  I basically see Biden as a steppingstone.  

I agree.  One termer - if he makes it.

10 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

There's becoming a better case for Biden getting the nomination and then stepping aside for his VP pick. I don't think that's likely, but it's a really weird time in politics.

That brings up the odd situation:  What are the chances of him stepping aside  after the nomination and before the election and allowing the VP to be the one who takes on Trump.  I'm not sure what the procedure would be post nomination pre election.

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

That brings up the odd situation:  What are the chances of him stepping aside  after the nomination and before the election and allowing the VP to be the one who takes on Trump.  I'm not sure what the procedure would be post nomination pre election.

I hope this doesn't happen. The obvious replacement would be Bernie as he's going to have the second most delegates by a lot, but the establishment will definitely pick someone else and Trump would win by a landslide. (Again, I don't think this is likely.)

6 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

2 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

I hope this doesn't happen. The obvious replacement would be Bernie as he's going to have the second most delegates by a lot, but the establishment will definitely pick someone else and Trump would win by a landslide. (Again, I don't think this is likely.)

I'm pretty sure what @TGHusker is theorizing is, after the DNC and Biden's been named the Dem candidate, what if between then and the general election he steps aside for his VP?

I don't think that's even legal, and maybe only possible if Biden's unable to continue (medically, for example).  If that happens, I don't think there's a legal mechanism for Bernie to become the nominee. But maybe a legal mechanism isn't required - the Democrat Party is a private organization, not a government one.  Maybe they could just go with Bernie?  

But I agree with @RedDenver there is almost zero possibility establishment Dems go with Bernie in such a scenario.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I think the progressive movement is just going to gain more and more steam in the next four years

I know this statement would surprise people on this forum 4 years ago, but I now think the USA is at a place where it needs more progressive legislation. 

Old world conservatism is not the policy position that will work any longer for America (probably never did-  since FDR we've had a mix of private/govt progressive  policies. Even Reagan was more of a moderate than a hard core conservative- despite his many jokes about big govt)  The old conservative mantra "let the private sector take care of it" will not work.  The idea of very small govt is a thing of the past.  The country has gotten much more diverse and we've matured (or are maturing through the eyes of its young people) to realize that there are real needs that need to be address and we cannot sweep them under the rug any longer.   Maybe as a conservative I can hope for more efficient govt which should be the goal of conservatives and liberals as efficiencies enables more programs to be funded.  

• Plus1 1

3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I'm pretty sure what @TGHusker is theorizing is, after the DNC and Biden's been named the Dem candidate, what if between then and the general election he steps aside for his VP?

yep that was the question.

You are probably right - that as a private organization the Dem party could choose its path. But if it isn't Bernie, there will be hell to pay and trump may get re-elected. 

1 minute ago, TGHusker said:

You are probably right - that as a private organization the Dem party could choose its path. But if it isn't Bernie, there will be hell to pay and trump may get re-elected. 

I don't think enough of the country is so in love with Bernie that if he gets screwed by the Democrat party that they'll switch votes.

What this election is going to hinge on is if enough people are fed up enough with Trump to vote against him no matter who the candidate is.

If so, the Dems could run Ed the Talking Horse and win.  If not, Trump's got the same chance as any incumbent.

Just now, knapplc said:

I don't think enough of the country is so in love with Bernie that if he gets screwed by the Democrat party that they'll switch votes.

What this election is going to hinge on is if enough people are fed up enough with Trump to vote against him no matter who the candidate is.

If so, the Dems could run Ed the Talking Horse and win.  If not, Trump's got the same chance as any incumbent.

I don't think people are so in love with Bernie, but rather a combination of the other candidates not being popular and people getting disillusioned at the obvious ploy to deny Bernie the nomination will result in low voter turnout. Plus Trump will run on Bernie getting screwed by the Dem party again, and it'll ring true.

3 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

You guys remember when Sanders said "a woman couldn't win?"* and the media lost their s#!t?

* if true...except the media didn't care...they went on for weeks and framed it like it WAS true.

Think Biden is getting the same shake?

This is two different conversations. The press doesn't cover Bernie the same way they cover other candidates, but that really has nothing to do with whether Biden raped a woman in 1993.

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Speaking of Mr Ed and you were: Fun fact:  Ed is buried about 60 miles from my house - Tahlequah, Okla

https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/mister-eds-grave

I hope you are right on the other.  In my gut I think so. But I don't want Bernie voters to sit on it in Fl, Mich, Wisc, PA - I want this to be a major defeat of trump and all that he stands for.