The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

8 hours ago, Landlord said:

...jesus christ.

When's the last time anyone has seen Biden deliver a coherent insightful sentence?

If you go back and watch the last debate against Sanders prior to Arizona, Biden does just fine. If you were inclined to support Biden, he delivered the goods. Bernie did the same for his people. 

But wow....there have been more than a few semi-prepared speeches and q&a situations where Biden does the exact same ramble we find amusing/appalling in Trump. I've heard the explanation that he's a reformed stutterer who still battles the affliction with odd language forays, but it plays more like a guy who has spent his life speaking in public, doesn't particularly worry about editing himself, and honestly doesn't notice how far he's veering off the rails. 

I think Joe can pull it together as needed, but he's going to be extemporaneous more often than he's not.

• Plus1 3

16 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

If you go back and watch the last debate against Sanders prior to Arizona, Biden does just fine. If you were inclined to support Biden, he delivered the goods. Bernie did the same for his people. 

But wow....there have been more than a few semi-prepared speeches and q&a situations where Biden does the exact same ramble we find amusing/appalling in Trump. I've heard the explanation that he's a reformed stutterer who still battles the affliction with odd language forays, but it plays more like a guy who has spent his life speaking in public, doesn't particularly worry about editing himself, and honestly doesn't notice how far he's veering off the rails. 

I think Joe can pull it together as needed, but he's going to be extemporaneous more often than he's not.

I cannot imaging a debate between Biden and Trump at this point - two incoherent old guys up there rambling on. Which each statement we sink deeper into our 'fraidy hole' 

• Plus1 2
9 hours ago, Landlord said:

...jesus christ.

When's the last time anyone has seen Biden deliver a coherent insightful sentence?

He did in that very interview. He discussed wearing a mask in public, how the Obama administration handled pandemics, how the dem convention may need to go virtual, his appreciation for Captain Crozier. Don’t assume a 20 second clip from a known stutterer, clipped by a sketch a$$ news source, tells an entire story. 

• Plus1 4

28 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Another endorsement for Biden today from Rep. John Lewis.

Man I love me some John Lewis. An American hero.

This has brought out the most vile Bernie supporters on twitter I see. A Bernie National Surrogate tweeted  that Lewis is a “civil rights icon”, yes in quotes like that to imply that maybe he isn’t. A certain fraction of Bernie supports are very off putting and even for someone that likes Bernie and his policies, it really makes it hard to continue to support him. 

• Plus1 2
9 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

A certain fraction of Bernie supports are very off putting and even for someone that likes Bernie and his policies, it really makes it hard to continue to support him. 

Bernie's politics of anger did him in two straight elections. And instead of focusing their ire on their political opposite, they're trying to tear down the guy who beat them.

Contrast that with Mayor Pete's followers after he lost, or Kamala Harris' or Warren's. 

It's a bad look.

2 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't buy the stuttering explanation. I don't doubt he had a problem, but I watched several debates he was in in 2008 and he didn't have near as much of a problem getting his thoughts across as he does now. 

• Plus1 1
16 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

This has brought out the most vile Bernie supporters on twitter I see. A Bernie National Surrogate tweeted  that Lewis is a “civil rights icon”, yes in quotes like that to imply that maybe he isn’t. A certain fraction of Bernie supports are very off putting and even for someone that likes Bernie and his policies, it really makes it hard to continue to support him. 

I agree that those supporters are ridiculous and need to be fought back against. John Lewis IS a civil rights icon. But Bernie has been pushing back against his own supporters for these types of things for 5 years now, so it doesn't effect my support of Bernie or his policies.

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Bernie Bros are annoying and obnoxious, but they want to be heard, they think they are right and they think everyone else is wrong.  That is nothing new in politics.  

John Lewis is a fraud......why aren’t black voters supporting Bernie? - they kind of answer their own questions....

• Haha 1
7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I don't buy the stuttering explanation. I don't doubt he had a problem, but I watched several debates he was in in 2008 and he didn't have near as much of a problem getting his thoughts across as he does now. 

Bear in mind some folks' notion of who Biden actually is right now is based almost exclusively on curated and in a lot of instances edited clips to make him seem a lot less cogent and levelheaded than he actually is.

People who don't want to see him succeed realize they can weaponize this and they're churning this stuff out on social media to create a narrative. This IS the Cambridge Analytica or Russia-style social media disinformation campaign playbook happening in real time.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Bear in mind some folks' notion of who Biden actually is right now is based almost exclusively on curated and in a lot of instances edited clips to make him seem a lot less cogent and levelheaded than he actually is.

People who don't want to see him succeed realize they can weaponize this and they're churning this stuff out on social media to create a narrative. This IS the Cambridge Analytica or Russia-style social media disinformation campaign playbook happening in real time.

All you have to do is watch the Bernie/Biden debate. Biden did fine - as well as Bernie, anyway. He'll do equally fine against Trump, if Trump even debates (which he's already hinted he may not).

• Plus1 1