The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

3 minutes ago, commando said:

if they don't vote i think they have abdicated any right to complain about who gets voted in.   not voting means you are really  happy with whoever gets voted in.   

What not voting means is subjective and personal to the person not voting, and includes a lot more possible explanations than just that one. 

• Plus1 1

Does this sum it up for Bernie voters?  Editorial from the Daily Beast reprinted on Yahoo

https://www.yahoo.com/news/picking-joe-biden-democrats-kissing-084519449.html

A generation of Democrats is haunted by the party’s infamous 1968 convention in Chicago. After one of the most tumultuous presidential primaries in US history—in which the incumbent Lyndon Johnson withdrew from the race, in which Bobby Kennedy built a multiracial working-class coalition before he was shot and killed, and in which the young college students and activists of the New Left rallied behind Eugene McCarthy, all against the backdrop of urban riots, Vietnam, and a breakaway segregationist faction—the Democratic establishment chose to nominate Johnson’s vice president, Hubert Humphrey, to maintain its control over the party. Student demonstrators revolted outside the convention hall and were brutally suppressed by Mayor Richard Daley’s police force. That fall, the Democrats blew a winnable election to the race-baiting populism of Richard Nixon, the first of many election losses to come before the baby boomers finally consolidated control of the party under Bill Clinton.

Now history is repeating itself, as Marx warned, as farce, with Bernie Sanders decisively winning the argument over the party’s future while meeting unshakeable resistance from a Democratic establishment composed largely of politicians who were shaped by 1968.

The fact that Joe Biden is beating Sanders by two-to-one margins across the country conceals the equally consistent fact of a stark generational divide within the Democratic primary electorate, with Sanders winning voters under 45 by blowout margins (unfortunately for him, there are far more voters over 45 and Biden is winning them by even bigger margins). A recent ABC News/Washington Post poll showed that strong enthusiasm for Biden among his supporters is the lowest of any Democratic nominee in 20 years, and dramatically trails enthusiasm for Donald Trump among his supporters—a sign, perhaps, of the dangers of nominating a candidate who has completely failed to connect with the younger voters who helped propel Barack Obama to the presidency. At a moment where young people are experiencing radical upheaval, the Democrats are once again promising more of the same.

To be sure, there are many crucial differences between 1968 and today. Since the South Carolina primary, Democrats across the country have made clear their preference for the establishment-approved moderate, Biden, over the champion of today’s New Left, Sanders. Biden’s coalition includes most African-American voters and many working-class white voters who chose Sanders over Hillary Clinton in 2016. Unlike Humphrey, Biden can claim to have been chosen by voters, not by party insiders in smoke-filled rooms.

But at least to younger voters, it is Sanders, not Biden, who is speaking to a moment of crisis. If the crisis in 1968 was the Vietnam War and the breakdown of the white supremacist social order, today it is the ongoing coronavirus pandemic, the resulting financial collapse (the second one millennials have experienced in our young careers), and decades of dehumanizing oligarchic misgovernance, of which Trump is only the most egregious example. Sanders is promising a generation that has never known stability or optimism that a better world is possible; Biden, who in 2018 told millennials he had “no empathy” for our predicament, is insisting both that the pre-Trump status quo can be resumed and that doing so would be desirable.

Sanders’ supporters—and here I refer not to his most vocal and combative boosters on Twitter, a cohort in which I might include myself, but to the millions of young people of all backgrounds who have responded to his message—deserve to have our voices heard and our concerns met with substantive promises and empathetic rhetoric. Putting aside what we deserve, the Democrats cannot reasonably hope to beat Trump in November without millennials turning out in force. The Biden campaign is reportedly aware of this, but thus far has been totally inadequate in attempting to address it.

The moment when these divisions within the party might have been addressed was at this summer’s planned Democratic National Convention two hours north of Chicago (likely faster in quarantine traffic) in Milwaukee. Unfortunately, the coronavirus makes the prospect of gathering tens of thousands of people around an urban convention center a nonstarter, as Biden himself acknowledged this week, proposing instead an unprecedented virtual convention compatible with social distancing.

While the public health rationale for this is hard to dispute, it also represents a lost opportunity for Sanders supporters to make our voices heard and to force Biden and the rest of the Democratic establishment to acknowledge and court us. Instead of traveling to Milwaukee to demand radical changes to the social contract in person, we will be relegated to taking potshots on social media while Biden and his chosen speakers deliver empty rhetoric to empty rooms.

The coronavirus, which has validated everything Sanders has been saying for years about the unconscionable state of US health care, labor, and infrastructure, should be radicalizing us; instead, social distancing is pacifying us. One suspects that Biden, who unlike Sanders showed little ability to draw large crowds to his rare pre-pandemic public events, might be quietly grateful to be holding a stage-managed, un-disruptable convention before a captive and helpless virtual audience.

It doesn’t have to be this way. If Democrats are serious about exciting their entire base in November to defeat Trump, there are still steps they can take to win over the Sanders coalition. Sanders should (and, one expects, will) be given a prominent speaking role at the virtual convention; his allies like Reps. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez and Rashida Tlaib should be as well. Biden should make explicit in his own remarks that he understands and empathizes with younger voters’ legitimate anger. But endorsements and speeches won’t be enough. Biden must also embrace the substantive aspects of Sanders’ platform—including Medicare For All, which exit polls across the country show clear support for, as well as the Green New Deal and tuition-free college—that have galvanized millennials. Everything about the virtual convention could be designed to showcase this agenda.

While it might seem like a radical break from the platform Biden has run on, we are living through a radical break in our lived experience of the economy. Millions of Americans have just lost their jobs, and with them their employer-sponsored private health insurance, through no fault of their own. Now would be an ideal time for Biden and the Democratic Party to announce that expansions of the social safety net that once seemed radical have become urgently necessary.

But while it would be fatalistic not to demand these things, it may be unrealistic to expect the Democrats to deliver. Everything about Biden’s public record suggests that he takes young voters for granted, doesn’t respect us or take our concerns seriously, and is preparing for a convention that will leave us deflated and alienated from electoral politics for years to come. If that doesn’t change, we won’t be able to express our frustration by massing outside a convention hall like Biden’s generation did in 1968. More likely, many of us will express it the only way we’re able to express anything at the moment: by staying home.

1 hour ago, commando said:

tell them to grow the eff up and vote for who closest represents what they want.   every election there are lots of people who started out supporting someone who ends up not getting the nomination.  you know what they do?  they go out and chose their next best option after their first choice falls out. sitting at home and pouting really does them no good.

That's my feelings.

I think what you are seeing is the immaturity of the people in this group.  Hopefully they mature and it works itself out.

4 hours ago, Landlord said:

What not voting means is subjective and personal to the person not voting, and includes a lot more possible explanations than just that one. 

I always laugh when people get on me for not voting in the last election. Yes, I can b!^@h that those are the two best candidates in this country and can b!^@h about a two party system. 

Also, I’ve seen so many memes making fun of Biden’s memory problems today and yet, there are people here who dismiss it. Probably in large part because they will convince themselves of anything anti-Trump. 

9 minutes ago, Waldo said:

Probably in large part because they will convince themselves of anything anti-Trump. 

If you can't see that Trump is a problem for this country than HOO BOY you have worse problems than not being able to hide because there aren't any crowds anymore, Waldo.

:lol:

5 hours ago, commando said:

tell them to grow the eff up and vote for who closest represents what they want.   every election there are lots of people who started out supporting someone who ends up not getting the nomination.  you know what they do?  they go out and chose their next best option after their first choice falls out. sitting at home and pouting really does them no good.

Steak is on the menu, but I should settle for SPAM since it's closer to what I wanted than a steaming turd. 

I'll vote third party again this time around as a protest. This two-party system serves no one but themselves. Bernie is basically the only politician that has ever motivated me, if only because he is actually independent and his entire platform boils down to improving lives. But go ahead and tell me that I'm immature if I don't fall in line with the establishment that exists solely to benefit the rich and disregard our best interests.

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, Waldo said:

I always laugh when people get on me for not voting in the last election. Yes, I can b!^@h that those are the two best candidates in this country and can b!^@h about a two party system. 

Also, I’ve seen so many memes making fun of Biden’s memory problems today and yet, there are people here who dismiss it. Probably in large part because they will convince themselves of anything anti-Trump. 

You're right, I should vote Trump because memes.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Steak is on the menu, but I should settle for SPAM since it's closer to what I wanted than a steaming turd. 

I'll vote third party again this time around as a protest. This two-party system serves no one but themselves. Bernie is basically the only politician that has ever motivated me, if only because he is actually independent and his entire platform boils down to improving lives. But go ahead and tell me that I'm immature if I don't fall in line with the establishment that exists solely to benefit the rich and disregard our best interests.

Meh. You should do what is best for you. Especially if you live in South Dakota (presumably) where it really won't matter.

I firmly reject the notion that Bernie Sanders is the only politician to ever actually care about helping average people, but I understand that's an opinion and others may be different from mine.

9 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Bernie is basically the only politician that has ever motivated me, if only because he is actually independent and his entire platform boils down to improving lives.

Don't forget that feeling. Because Biden is temporary, but the movement Bernie started can last longer than these last two election cycles if people like you demand more of those candidates.

I can't convince you to vote for the bandaid that Biden is, so fine. I respect what you see in Bernie's principles. Don't give up hope.

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

don't complain if the steaming turd is what you get then.  

• Plus1 2

11 minutes ago, commando said:

don't complain if the steaming turd is what you get then.  

Why not? I didn't vote for the steaming turd. I didn't contribute to the steaming turd's existence. I actively resist the steaming turd and its odor in how I live my life every day. I have ever literal right and every metaphorical right to criticize and disapprove of the steaming turd no matter if I voted for it, voted against it, or didn't vote at all. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, RedDenver said:

The letter gives you why they may not see it the way you do:

Whoever is penning that letter must be in a pretty privileged position if return to normalcy isn't motivating enough. People are literally dying due to the inept and corrupt leadership 

• Plus1 2
37 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

You're immature. And I voted for Bernie. There are 2 options. Throwing a fit about it doesn't do anything 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, Landlord said:

Why not? I didn't vote for the steaming turd. I didn't contribute to the steaming turd's existence. I actively resist the steaming turd and its odor in how I live my life every day. I have ever literal right and every metaphorical right to criticize and disapprove of the steaming turd no matter if I voted for it, voted against it, or didn't vote at all. 

If you sit passively by when you could have done something to prevent the steaming turd then maybe commando is right 

• Plus1 1