The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

49 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

We heard that last election too. Except Trump hit Hillary on trade and her emails. He'll probably hit Biden on trade, difficulty speaking/remembering, and Hunter Biden (especially dealings with China). Some of that is probably going land outside of Trump's base, but it remains to be seen how effective it will be.

Trump had an advantage last time, he had no political background to pick on. His opponent did. Biden’s team will have 4 years of lies, golfing and mistakes to pick apart

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Trump had an advantage last time, he had no political background to pick on. His opponent did. Biden’s team will have 4 years of lies, golfing and mistakes to pick apart

True, but Biden is again the ultimate establishment insider allowing Trump to play the outsider. Hopefully Trump's record will be his undoing, but I still think Biden will lose.

8 minutes ago, BlitzFirst said:

I never said it was a flaming disaster...I stated clearly and concisely where it has shortcomings and will continue to have them.

Not sure why you decided to address something I didn't say instead of what I actually did.  Kind of an odd way of debating someone.

Just stating despite shortcomings (like every other campaign) he has positioned himself very well, not all doom and gloom. 

Sanders said his supporters have a simple choice now that Biden has emerged as the presumptive nominee: “Do we be as active as we can in electing Joe Biden and doing everything we can to move Joe and his campaign in a more progressive direction? Or do we choose to sit it out and allow the most dangerous president in modern American history to get reelected?”

https://apnews.com/a1bfb62e37fe34e09ff123a58a1329fa

7 hours ago, knapplc said:

What concessions are progressives willing to give in return? Where's the middle?

I was listening to a Pod Save America podcast earlier (former Obama guys) and they hypothesized that there's a couple different groups of progressives and they differ in their potential to come around to Biden. 

Group 1 is progressive/lefty media. They are not going to come around on Biden. 

Group 2 is progressive/lefty activists. They are more likely waiting and listening in good faith hoping Biden supports more things they like and would then be much more apt to feel OK supporting him.

But if people in Group 2 spend too much time in a media bubble of largely progressive media sources, they're going to be exposed to relentlessly negative views of Biden. Which reinforces the belief he's a centrist trainwreck with whom they should not compromise.

12 hours ago, TGHusker said:

That Chicago machine - probably nothing like it in today's world.  Daley was 'rewarded' with the 1668 Dem convention. What a mess that turned out to be. 

Most interesting thing you can find on CSPAN.

12 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Didn't know he was a SD native. He was generally considered a son of Minnesota, as was Eugene McCarthy.  I believe Humphrey's widow lived in Lincoln for awhile. As an HHH scholar you probably know he came up as a progressive firebrand, to the left of Roosevelt and a devout civil rights advocate back when that was much trickier politically. That was all squandered when he had to carry Lyndon Johnson's water, and even free to run on his own in 68, 72, and while dying of cancer in 76, he was an establishment centrist associated with the stubborn support of the Vietnam war.

I've tried to explain 1968 to people who think this is the worst time ever in America. It's a horrible argument to win, and both arguments are probably right in their own way. The radical activists and middle class liberals had no trouble revolting against a Democrat president, because he'd earned their wrath. LBJ could never reconcile all the good he did with the Great Society, and all the evil he allowed in Vietnam. 

And just as no one really pined for President Humphrey so too they will quickly forget candidate Biden. 

1 minute ago, BlitzFirst said:

I think that a lot of Sanders supporters are going Green (as I've said previously) Party.  All you have to do is look at policy between the candidates to understand why they are.  Keep in mind a vote for Green Party is valid and it is NOT a vote for Trump.

Welcome to 4 more years of Trump.

• Plus1 1