The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

13 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I still am not convinced he wanted to be there in the first place...

Oh whatever. He loves the attention, he loves the power over the DOJ and he loves the ability to grift government funds. Thats how his dad got rich, he's just playing the same game on a bigger scale, which is exactly his dream in life. He wanted to be bigger and better than his father and he has done it.

@Fru when does a congress person's term end and the newly elected person begin? I have a feeling many of those GOP senators won't be senators much longer 

3 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Oh whatever. He loves the attention, he loves the power over the DOJ and he loves the ability to grift government funds. Thats how his dad got rich, he's just playing the same game on a bigger scale, which is exactly his dream in life. He wanted to be bigger and better than his father and he has done it.

@Fru when does a congress person's term end and the newly elected person begin? I have a feeling many of those GOP senators won't be senators much longer 

Looks like the new Senate is sworn in about two weeks before the President, meaning Pence would have to swear them in.

If Trump leads the charge of "I'm not leaving" and if there's a blue wave in the senate, would anyone really be shocked if the rest of the GOP followed suit? 

11 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Poor form here.  Yes it is true and clearly Biden doesn't reach working class or young people but that is pretty much true for most old people.  Bernie needs to be like "What the working class people and what young people need to understand is that Joe is working FOR YOU, he has dedicated his life of service to YOU, but in his role the last 8 years as VP he did not get the chance to act on that passion as often as he would have liked, and people have forgotten just how much he connects with the working class and the young voters"

16 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Just wait for the S-Storm of legislation and pardons coming from November through January if Trump loses. It will make the previous four years look like child's play.

If Trump doesn't pardon them they will just get a pardon from Covid.

59 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

IMO, no matter how deranged Trump is, and how rabid his base...a junta to keep him in office, should he lose to Biden, is so far fetched in America I cannot believe it would happen

This is kind of the problem, IMO. It's at least a small part of why Trump gets away with what he does. People don't have foresight so they can't imagine things getting to that point. So they let him get away with lesser, but still unconstitutional s#!t, just assuming it won't get that far. They also don't think about the precedents he's setting. Let's say he leaves willingly... he's still shown how easily it would be to do for some future president, if no changes to our checks and balances are made.

Some things he's doing that are legal, no president had ever done before because they were decent humans. There should be no assumptions made that he will do what's decent, or legal, or good for America.

• Plus1 1

9 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Poor form here.  Yes it is true and clearly Biden doesn't reach working class or young people but that is pretty much true for most old people.  Bernie needs to be like "What the working class people and what young people need to understand is that Joe is working FOR YOU, he has dedicated his life of service to YOU, but in his role the last 8 years as VP he did not get the chance to act on that passion as often as he would have liked, and people have forgotten just how much he connects with the working class and the young voters"

I disagree. People can go look at what Biden has supported and what he's opposed including back before he was the VP. Bernie can state that, but it would ring hollow IMO.

Just now, RedDenver said:

I disagree. People can go look at what Biden has supported and what he's opposed including back before he was the VP. Bernie can state that, but it would ring hollow IMO.

Yeah...but no one (yes I know not no one) goes back and looks at that stuff.  It is all about the here and now.

Young people won't care what Joe did/didn't do 30 years ago...and the working class wants what we all want.  Less taxes and more money.

12 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This is kind of the problem, IMO. It's at least a small part of why Trump gets away with what he does. People don't have foresight so they can't imagine things getting to that point. So they let him get away with lesser, but still unconstitutional s#!t, just assuming it won't get that far. They also don't think about the precedents he's setting. Let's say he leaves willingly... he's still shown how easily it would be to do for some future president, if no changes to our checks and balances are made.

Some things he's doing that are legal, no president had ever done before because they were decent humans. There should be no assumptions made that he will do what's decent, or legal, or good for American.

good take, thanks Moiraine

2 hours ago, Moiraine said:

These are the words of someone who may try to remain in office if he loses the election. 

Yep - his cry will be  Fake News and It was Rigged.  He'd have Barr 'investigate'.   I mean, if I knew the posse might be waiting for me as soon as I walked out of the protection of my cave, esp if the cave looked like the Oval Office, I would try to stay in that cave as long as possible. 

I think any attempt to stay in office or cast doubt on an election would be a massive faceplant for Trump. If we're being completely honest, most elected Republicans know he is an ignorant,  petty, unpredictable moron. I'd venture to guess most can't stand him. But they're in a bind because their voters love him and thus he's their ticket to keeping power. So they make a deal with the devil and tolerate him.

If he loses an election, they're free from having to tolerate him. They'll chuck him under the bus immediately so they can go back to being the opposition party, which is much easier than what they've been doing now.

Trump loses his leverage over elected R's if he loses. No way they'd stick their necks out to help him stay in office after the country just voted him out.

• Thanks 1

Good and interesting article about age of our presidents.  When is someone too old??

https://www.vox.com/the-highlight/2020/5/13/21255923/president-age-trump-biden-old-2020-election

The last paragraph:

Our next president is likely to either start out as a geezer or become one in office. But instead of associating an older president with cognitive limitations, we should be looking at the science, which suggests that an aging mind might be better at making big-picture decisions, or — due to age-related increases in empathy and compassion — be skilled at bringing people together. We’ve had great presidents and not-so-great presidents, but the idea that age is correlated to their performance is simply not true. Ultimately, aging varies so much from person to person that the number of birthdays you’ve had doesn’t say much about who you are.

• Thanks 1