The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

This tweet doesn't make sense. Biden could decide he's gonna try for medicare for all and the green new deal and erase student debt on day 1 of his presidency - it's still a good idea for his campaign to also figure out the best way to speak to and reach young voters and make them feel like they're a part of his campaign.

• Plus1 1

19 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

This tweet doesn't make sense. Biden could decide he's gonna try for medicare for all and the green new deal and erase student debt on day 1 of his presidency - it's still a good idea for his campaign to also figure out the best way to speak to and reach young voters and make them feel like they're a part of his campaign.

Never underestimate the power of a certain group of people to break down everything Joe Biden does wrong for us.

• Plus1 1
8 hours ago, Moiraine said:

In what way is what Biden is doing a good way to reach out to young voters? Biden could be campaigning on any of those issues, but he's not. Instead he's double- or triple-downed on opposing M4A, and his campaign is trying to get young voters by organizing brunches and happy hours.

8 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Never underestimate the power of a certain group of people to break down everything Joe Biden does wrong for us.

Or a certain group to ignore any flaw in their chosen candidate.

40 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Or a certain group to ignore any flaw in their chosen candidate.

there has never been a flawless candidate.   and right now it looks like the choice is between Biden and Trump.  which of those has the least flaws?   i know which of them i believe  has fewer flaws by several metric kilotons.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

In what way is what Biden is doing a good way to reach out to young voters? Biden could be campaigning on any of those issues, but he's not. Instead he's double- or triple-downed on opposing M4A, and his campaign is trying to get young voters by organizing brunches and happy hours.

Did you read the article the tweet is linking?

These are 2 different topics. Platform and how to speak to voters. Be mad at Biden not being for M4A all you want, I am too. But the tweet is stupid. There is nothing wrong with Biden’s team trying to literally talk to voters. 

1 hour ago, commando said:

there has never been a flawless candidate.   and right now it looks like the choice is between Biden and Trump.  which of those has the least flaws?   i know which of them i believe  has fewer flaws by several metric kilotons.

My post has literally nothing to do with Trump. I'm talking about Biden's flaws as a candidate in a thread about the candidates. :dunno

56 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Did you read the article the tweet is linking?

These are 2 different topics. Platform and how to speak to voters. Be mad at Biden not being for M4A all you want, I am too. But the tweet is stupid. There is nothing wrong with Biden’s team trying to literally talk to voters. 

The article is about Biden trying to win over young voters, just look at the title:

Joe Biden Has Struggled With Young People. He Has A New Plan To Win Them.

The point of the tweet is that doing brunches and happy hours and such are not the way to get those voters.

4 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Who's ignoring anything?

Then why did you post:

10 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Sure seems like you're saying that I shouldn't post about Biden's flaws.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, RedDenver said:

The point of the tweet is that doing brunches and happy hours and such are not the way to get those voters.

All young voters are not the same, nor do they all support Bernie, nor are they all going to respond to the exact same methods of connection.

There's being disappointed in a candidate and there's trying way too hard to find fault with everything they do. This would be the latter.

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

All young voters are not the same, nor do they all support Bernie, nor are they all going to respond to the exact same methods of connection.

I agree. But the two candidates that had the most support among younger voters were Bernie and Warren, and neither were doing brunches and happy hours to get that support.

6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

There's being disappointed in a candidate and there's trying way too hard to find fault with everything they do. This would be the latter.

I disagree. It's not like I just came up with this out of the blue. Biden's campaign is launching this effort because they know they aren't doing well with younger voters.

15 minutes ago, RedDenver said:

Then why did you post:

Sure seems like you're saying that I shouldn't post about Biden's flaws.

Actually I was referring to the Bernie guy whose tweet you posted.

By all means post whatever you want here. But I'm also free to point out how unrelentingly negative some Bernie folks are. All the talk of ideological blindspots cuts both ways. Just as you think some aren't acknowledging Biden's flaws, I often see others frequently try to take things I view as relatively minor and benign and make a molehill into a mountain just to have something to point to and say "See, I was RIGHT about Democrats!"

28 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Thanks for the polling links. I overstated how Biden is doing with younger voters. I should have said "not as well as Hillary". From the article above:

A polling analysis last month by CNN’s Harry Enten found that Biden’s lead over President Donald Trump among 18- to 34-year-olds was narrower than Hillary Clinton’s in the final weeks of the 2016 campaign.

The point remains that Biden is doing an outreach to get more of those younger voters, and I disagree with the approach the campaign is taking.