The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Trump stupidly says the quiet part out loud again.

"It will also lead to the end of our great Republican party."

Why? Because for decades the only way the Republicans have stayed relevant as a minority party has been through voter suppression. Closing polling sites, voter intimidation, etc. It's really difficult to go to every voter's home and intimidate them one by one.

• Plus1 1

17 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

This video hits the nail on the head 100%.  

Here is the related videos  of many more GOPers vowing not to vote for Trump   Republican Voters Against Trump

https://rvat.org/#homePageStories

Hate to be Debbie Downer, but we heard the same thing in 2016 before the people went into their private voting booths and made Donald Trump President. 

And even a satirist couldn't have scripted how much worse Trump turned out to be. Every day, something truly jaw-dropping.

Yet his base barely budges. His numbers actually go up during Impeachment. Does anyone doubt Trump might even get a bump if he calls the National Guard into Minnesota?

It's a binary culture war. I think basic decency can still win in November, but I will remain appalled by the tens of millions of Americans who still consider Trump a gift from God, and the large percentage of them who will contest the results in an ongoing paranoid fantasy fueled by the Loser. 

• Plus1 2
43 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Hate to be Debbie Downer, but we heard the same thing in 2016 before the people went into their private voting booths and made Donald Trump President. 

And even a satirist couldn't have scripted how much worse Trump turned out to be. Every day, something truly jaw-dropping.

Yet his base barely budges. His numbers actually go up during Impeachment. Does anyone doubt Trump might even get a bump if he calls the National Guard into Minnesota?

It's a binary culture war. I think basic decency can still win in November, but I will remain appalled by the tens of millions of Americans who still consider Trump a gift from God, and the large percentage of them who will contest the results in an ongoing paranoid fantasy fueled by the Loser. 

I don't think you are a Debbie Downer but rather a Ronald Realist.  I am glad many GOPers are committing themselves to voting against Trump.  Will it be a high % in comparison to those GOPers who will vote for Trump? No.  That is an indictment against the party as a whole.  I don't doubt the sincerity of those people who took the time to create a video.   If the party doesn't change, these people of principle will be looking for a new party.  In a few states, their defection  could make the difference - tRump barely won several states in 2016 - one former Trump voter coming over to the Biden camp will be a help in getting this fool out of office.  So I applaud each one. 

• Thanks 1

During the primary lots of folks talked about the key to winning in 2020. Lots of different strategies abounded: Turn out the base, turn out nonvoters and unlikely voters, appeal to disaffect Republicans.

Ultimately the winning strategy is finding a way to do all of the above. But it's a very narrow tightrope to walk. I think Biden is doing a pretty good job so far.

Take the situation in Minneapolis right now. Hard to imagine a starker contrast between the two men on this.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

But when The Lincoln Project folks speak out, or elected Republicans try to reprimand Trump, they find themselves in a netherworld. The reaction from Republican voters is often scary and vicious; a RINO accusation can lead to a farther rightwing challenger unseating a Republican incumbent. Doesn't seem to work the other way around, when a slightly more moderate Republican wants to distance himself from Trump but maintain conservative credentials. 

On the other side, while I want to salute these Republicans who stand up and say "enough!" I also have to review their voting record. Given the chance to actually exercise power, they did a lot of horrible and cowardly s#!t before deciding Donald Trump was a line they couldn't cross. 

• Plus1 3
23 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But when The Lincoln Project folks speak out, or elected Republicans try to reprimand Trump, they find themselves in a netherworld. The reaction from Republican voters is often scary and vicious; a RINO accusation can lead to a farther rightwing challenger unseating a Republican incumbent. Doesn't seem to work the other way around, when a slightly more moderate Republican wants to distance himself from Trump but maintain conservative credentials. 

On the other side, while I want to salute these Republicans who stand up and say "enough!" I also have to review their voting record. Given the chance to actually exercise power, they did a lot of horrible and cowardly s#!t before deciding Donald Trump was a line they couldn't cross. 

almost  all of the lincoln project people were anti trump before he was elected.   and many of them are now calling for voting against the republican party all the way down to the local dog catcher position.  they are not just against trump but also against what the republican party has become under trump.   

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Who are these people who don't enjoy a good tuna fish sandwich?

Tuna melts are fantastic!

Just now, teachercd said:

So underrated!  

There are two kinds of tuna melt:

1) The tuna isn't good and you shouldn't eat it.

2) The tuna is good and you shouldn't ruin it with cheese melt.

• Haha 2
1 hour ago, RedDenver said:

There are two kinds of tuna melt:

1) The tuna isn't good and you shouldn't eat it.

2) The tuna is good and you shouldn't ruin it with cheese melt.

Cheese makes everything better.  It is one of the 4 major food groups don't you know!!

That and chunky peanut butter, ranch dressing, cream gravy.   Maybe I should ck the scale.