The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

22 hours ago, commando said:

almost  all of the lincoln project people were anti trump before he was elected.   and many of them are now calling for voting against the republican party all the way down to the local dog catcher position.  they are not just against trump but also against what the republican party has become under trump.   

Well that's the problem. The Republican Party has actually become more successful under Trump. The GOP's positions on healthcare, warfare, funding priorities, corporate welfare, wealth disparity, gay marriage, voter suppression, immigration, social services, etcetera, were already in place well before Trump took office. Maybe some in the Lincoln Project were true moderates and fiscal conservatives, but they were either awfully quiet or 100% complicit in the previous 40 years of the GOPs often wildly hypocritical "small government" movement. If they indeed support Democrats against Republicans on the ballot, that's certainly putting their money where their mouth is, but I think another segment believes Trump is a buffoon who is ruining the Republican brand. 

To put it another way, if Trump is gone, do they support rescinding what the Republican Party has been doing for years? 

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well that's the problem. The Republican Party has actually become more successful under Trump. The GOP's positions on healthcare, warfare, funding priorities, corporate welfare, wealth disparity, gay marriage, voter suppression, immigration, social services, etcetera, were already in place well before Trump took office. Maybe some in the Lincoln Project were true moderates and fiscal conservatives, but they were either awfully quiet or 100% complicit in the previous 40 years of the GOPs often wildly hypocritical "small government" movement. If they indeed support Democrats against Republicans on the ballot, that's certainly putting their money where their mouth is, but I think another segment believes Trump is a buffoon who is ruining the Republican brand. 

To put it another way, if Trump is gone, do they support rescinding what the Republican Party has been doing for years? 

I'm not sure now is the time to get picky with our allies in this fight.

On 5/29/2020 at 11:27 AM, TGHusker said:

This video hits the nail on the head 100%.  

Here are the related videos  of many more GOPers vowing not to vote for Trump   Republican Voters Against Trump

https://rvat.org/#homePageStories

I also hate to be a Debbie downer, but in Michigan he's probably in the minority of Republicans. There are still significant amounts of Trump supporters. Lots of blind loyalty here.

4 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Well I've never heard of the LP outside of progressive political chatter.  They sound like Blue State urban coastal types who haven't quite admitted to themselves that they dislike traditional middle America.  

So it's no surprise that their funding comes from liberal donors.

18 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Well I've never heard of the LP outside of progressive political chatter.  They sound like Blue State urban coastal types who haven't quite admitted to themselves that they dislike traditional middle America.  

Or they're making a reasoned argument you don't like and don't know how to refute so you choose to attack them.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
22 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

This is such an ignorant post. Anyone who has traveled this country or the world would understand that whether you live in a big city or small town we're not that different. We all have basic wants and needs. Yeah some people like the fast pace life in a city, others like the slow small town feel, but you sound like a real loser when you post ignorant stuff like this. Those of us who care about our fellow man know we're not all that different no matter where we live.

• Plus1 2
8 minutes ago, ZRod said:

This is such an ignorant post. Anyone who has traveled this country or the world would understand that whether you live in a big city or small town we're not that different. We all have basic wants and needs. Yeah some people like the fast pace life in a city, others like the slow small town feel, but you sound like a real loser when you post ignorant stuff like this. Those of us who care about our fellow man know we're not all that different no matter where we live.

This is what groupthink does to people. A poor person in rural Nebraska isn't much different from a poor person in Atlanta. They need similar things from the government but the political parties have convinced each of them that they're the "other."

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

This is what groupthink does to people. A poor person in rural Nebraska isn't much different from a poor person in Atlanta. They need similar things from the government but the political parties have convinced each of them that they're the "other."

Same for people in France, Italy, or wherever. When I went to Europe for the first time a few years back, my biggest eye opener was how much alike we really are. Same thing when I watched Anthony Bourdain in Iran. We talk different, eat different, think a little different but deep down we all just want to take care of our loved ones and be happy.

• Thanks 1
7 minutes ago, ZRod said:

Same for people in France, Italy, or wherever. When I went to Europe for the first time a few years back, my biggest eye opener was how much alike we really are. Same thing when I watched Anthony Bourdain in Iran. We talk different, eat different, think a little different but deep down we all just want to take care of our loved ones and be happy.

My biggest surprise was how similar things are too. However, people in eastern Europe are really pushy :D. Like, literally pushy. If you're standing in line and there is half an inch between you and the person in front of you, they will move into that space without a word, even if they have to physically push you back. This happened so often I had to start standing so I was touching the person in front of me. It wasn't even for important stuff. My theory is it's learned because they used to have to queue for food when the Soviet Union existed, before they had supermarkets.

3 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Whatever Trump and the GOP have been doing, it hasn’t reflected traditional American values. That’s kinda the point. 

Unfortunately, traditional middle America can still be convinced to vote against its own self interest by a right wing that knows how to throw red meat to the crowd. That’s kinda the point, too

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Somewhat.  But put either next to a public official in San Francisco and you'd imaging they sailed from a different continent.