The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Was just coming to post about it, @FrantzHardySwag

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/06/03/former-defense-secretary-mattis-breaks-silence-and-tears-into-trump-he-tries-to-divide-us.html

“Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us,” Mattis wrote. “We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership,” he wrote, adding that he “watched this week’s unfolding events, angry and appalled.”

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

George Will speaks out:  we need to also remove Trump's enablers in the Senate.   This may become an historic beat down in Nov.  As George says, in the 2nd article below, the republicans need a 'time out' to figure who they are and who they want to be. 

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/four-more-years-of-this-george-will-says-trump-and-his-republican-enablers-must-be-removed/

Washington Post conservative columnist George Will wrote in a column Monday night that President Donald Trump and his “enablers” must be removed come November, saying “Four more years of this? The taste of ashes, metaphorical and now literal, dampens enthusiasm.”

The nation’s downward spiral into acrimony and sporadic anarchy has had many causes much larger than the small man who is the great exacerbator of them. Most of the causes predate his presidency, and most will survive its January terminus. The measures necessary for restoration of national equilibrium are many and will be protracted far beyond his removal. One such measure must be the removal of those in Congress who, unlike the sycophantic mediocrities who cosset him in the White House, will not disappear “magically,” as Eric Trump said the coronavirus would. Voters must dispatch his congressional enablers, especially the senators who still gambol around his ankles with a canine hunger for petting.

In life’s unforgiving arithmetic, we are the sum of our choices. Congressional Republicans have made theirs for more than 1,200 days. We cannot know all the measures necessary to restore the nation’s domestic health and international standing, but we know the first step: Senate Republicans must be routed, as condign punishment for their Vichyite collaboration, leaving the Republican remnant to wonder: Was it sensible to sacrifice dignity, such as it ever was, and to shed principles, if convictions so easily jettisoned could be dignified as principles, for . . . what? Praying people should pray, and all others should hope: May I never crave anything as much as these people crave membership in the world’s most risible deliberative body.

https://www.mediaite.com/trump/george-will-says-republicans-will-forget-trump-fairly-fast-when-he-loses-election-trump-i-dont-recognize-the-name/

“If Republican voters listen to you and say it’s time to say no, let’s get rid of every single Republican in the Senate that they are capable of voting out, what will happen to the Republican party?” MSNBC’s Joy Reid asked. “Do you foresee a time when Republicans develop amnesia about having been so solicitous of Donald Trump?”

“I’m fairly confident that Mr. Trump will be defeated in the election,” Will said. “The next morning, a lot of Republicans will say, ‘Trump? I don’t recognize the name.’ They’ll get over this fairly fast. Our parties are very durable. Our two parties have formulated the political competition in this country since the Republicans first ran a presidential ticket in 1856.”

The Republican party will survive,” Will continued. “What the Republican party needs — what we parents say when we are dealing with an intractable child, it needs a time-out. I think they’re going to get one.”

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This thread might as well be closed up.  This is a done deal.  Have we ever seen anything like this?  Where 5 months ago Trump was a lock to be reelected and now has no chance at all.  s#!t, he might not even win Nebraska now.

Seems that way but there’s still a lot of time and I think the day after the election he will launch an investigation into the rampant voter fraud he has no evidence of. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Seems that way but there’s still a lot of time and I think the day after the election he will launch an investigation into the rampant voter fraud he has no evidence of. 

Maybe, but it won't matter.

I can't think of anything that can happen that will change the outcome of Biden winning.  Maybe if 30 million of the 40 million unemployed get back to work in the next few months???

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Maybe, but it won't matter.

I can't think of anything that can happen that will change the outcome of Biden winning.  Maybe if 30 million of the 40 million unemployed get back to work in the next few months???

I actually think a recession with no covid would have hurt him worse, even if it was more mild. Covid serves as an excuse for his supporters.

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I actually think a recession with no covid would have hurt him worse, even if it was more mild. Covid serves as an excuse for his supporters.

Interesting, I never looked at it that way.

Well, either way, this won't be a close race.

You don't.

Trump called Putin before his call with Governors. That night, he teargassed lawful, peaceful protestors including clergy. He removed a Priest from his own church grounds. All for a photo op fondling an upside-down Bible he obviously has never read. He now has commandeered his own unmarked police force that has no accountability. WHAT THE ACTUAL F!?!

Trump cult followers are lost, there is no reasoning with them; it is indefensible. 

Everyone else must turnout November 3. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

1 minute ago, QMany said:

You don't.

Trump called Putin before his call with Governors. That night, he teargassed lawful, peaceful protestors including clergy. He removed a Priest from his own church grounds. All for a photo op fondling an upside-down Bible he obviously has never read. He now has commandeered his own unmarked police force that has no accountability. WHAT THE ACTUAL F!?!

Trump cult followers are lost, there is no reasoning with them; it is indefensible. 

Everyone else must turnout November 3. 

What if they decide voting is a protest?

As he keeps sinking, I fear what he will do next. All he knows is cruelty, racism, division, etc.

EDIT: In 2016, pre-election polls had Trump up 47-44% in AZ. He won 48-44.6% and its 11 electoral votes.

1 hour ago, Moiraine said:

I've thought about this too. I'm almost certain we're going to get some trumped-up charges or investigation announcements on the parts of Barr's DOJ in the fall in an attempt to recreate the effect Comey's letter/announcement had 12 days before the last election.

Of all of Trump's cabinet members, Barr has rocketed up my list of most despised and troubling. He's obviously corrupt in that he views himself as Trump's personal lawyer, an explicitly partisan operator, and does not care about an independent DOJ at all. He's authoritarian in seeking what is best for Trump and the GOP and he has no shame. He clearly doesn't care about the 1A because he gave the order to gas and attack protesters.

He's a legitimate threat to American democracy. Confirming him was a dangerous mistake.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
17 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

:bs:  looks like HB has a fitting emoticon for that rumor.

As all things revert to politics, Biden seems to do best when these crises hit and he disappears from the daily news.  I think whomever is answering polls hear him as GENERIC DEMOCRAT or Not Trump.  However I don't think that you will be able to keep Joe quarantined all the way to November.

Nah, man. Joe ain't quarantined. He's been out there doing important work, like listening to black community leaders, meeting with protesters, convening meetings with major metropolitan mayors, addressing the nation to call for calm and bring us together, preparing to attend Floyd's funeral - you know, the type of things a real leader does in a time of crisis.

By comparison, Trump is hiding in bunkers, fortifying himself in the White House, sowing more division and dishonesty on Twitter and staging phony religious photo ops trying to resuscitate his floundering re-election hopes. To me that looks like the actions of a scared, weak little boy who's lost all control and doesn't know what to do.

That's certainly an easy choice for Novemeber. It's becoming increasingly clear that more and more people feel the same way.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2