The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

7 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

In the worst thing to come out of the neo-Spanish Inquisition, Google decided to strong arm two conservative websites, ostensibly for comments left by users and not staff. The threat was that those sites must censor their posters or be blacklisted from ad revenue by Google. Now this should be repulsive to any real American.  Regardless, the same people would do it to Huskerboard.  To whomever owns HB,  I will have absolutely no hard feelings if you ban me to save your business.  The human race has been around a long time, and very few actually lived in a time and place where they could dissent without fear of reprisal.  And our time for that may be coming to an end. 

It's like some people have never seen the "No Shirt, No Shoes, No Service" signs at, like, every convenience store in America.

Private businesses can create rules for conduct, and they can lawfully refuse to provide you goods or services if you violate those rules. This has been happening in America since 1776 (and really before, but we were colonies back then - but that's a whole 'nother story). 

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

In the worst thing to come out of the neo-Spanish Inquisition, Google decided to strong arm two conservative websites, ostensibly for comments left by users and not staff. The threat was that those sites must censor their posters or be blacklisted from ad revenue by Google. Now this should be repulsive to any real American.  Regardless, the same people would do it to Huskerboard.  To whomever owns HB,  I will have absolutely no hard feelings if you ban me to save your business.  The human race has been around a long time, and very few actually lived in a time and place where they could dissent without fear of reprisal.  And our time for that may be coming to an end. 

Maybe if we hadn't stopped enforcing anti-trust laws (initially by Reagan), Google wouldn't be a near monopoly and businesses could just go use a different ad company.

:dunno

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Oh look, conservatives spent all of last night raging over something that turned out not to be the case.

The Federalists was in violation of Google's TOS, was notified, took action to rectify it and no further action will be taken.

Kind of reminds you of the NYPD-Shake Shack poisoning situation a few days ago. By the time people stopped freaking out about it we found nothing had actually been done to the shakes.

Conservatives are floundering right now and are hypersensitive to everything they think they can use as a weapon to lash out with. If only someone would have told them hitching their wagon to Trump was a bad idea...

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
9 hours ago, funhusker said:

Uh oh, this is the death throws of a poster.

Claim the victim and proclaim HB intolerable to conservative thought,

Youve broken no rules, Joe.  You aren’t getting banned.  You just make a lot of posts that make a lot of people shake their heads, including conservatives.

My concern is that Silicon Valley will say you broke their rules and you don't have any recourse.

6 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Maybe if we hadn't stopped enforcing anti-trust laws (initially by Reagan), Google wouldn't be a near monopoly and businesses could just go use a different ad company.

:dunno

I disagree with that premise.  Regardless, anti-trust laws apply after the fact and cannot stop a newly emerging tech market.

I'm normally skeptical but we seem to have overwhelming evidence that Google engaged in anti-competitive behavior and brazenly restrains trade 

3 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

Oh look, conservatives spent all of last night raging over something that turned out not to be the case.

The Federalists was in violation of Google's TOS, was notified, took action to rectify it and no further action will be taken.

Kind of reminds you of the NYPD-Shake Shack poisoning situation a few days ago. By the time people stopped freaking out about it we found nothing had actually been done to the shakes.

Conservatives are floundering right now and are hypersensitive to everything they think they can use as a weapon to lash out with. If only someone would have told them hitching their wagon to Trump was a bad idea...

If you would care to read my link it says that the Federalist caved to Google's extortion for now.  That publication is a relic of the Bush era country club Rs and hardly a locus of alt right activity.

Zero-Hedge, a harmless kooky site for investors, was blacklisted by Google.  So yes it did happen.

• Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I'm normally skeptical but we seem to have overwhelming evidence that Google engaged in anti-competitive behavior and brazenly restrains trade 

So, you don't think these sites and technology have a moral obligation to try to eliminate organizations using their site to promote hatred, bigotry, flat out lies, foreign governments influencing our elections and promote violence.

These companies aren't eliminating these organizations from existing or saying whatever they want.  It's just that if they fall into those categories, they can't use their technology.  And, you have a problem with that.

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

There is talk of the "silent majority"

Who is talking that? There has never been, he lost by ~ 3,000,000 votes. 

He has and will continue to seek foreign interference to try to eek out an Electoral College win.