The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

5 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Yeah that's wrong.  The people who attempt to define "hate speech" do NOT limit it to violence.  They include calls for violence because it sounds like a freebie, but they ignore it as long as it's directed against the right targets.

NSFH

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CQDxefdyeE

And since that video will eventually be purged, it's one of many of Antifa screaming at police.  Which has only increased obviously since last month. Antifa is a community beloved by the same tech companies that ban conservatives and Trump supporters.

And if you were honest with yourself you would see that the Left is many times more hateful and violent than the Right.  I posted a parody a few weeks back to highlight the fact that Right wing extremists aren't destroying property and threatening liberals, unlike the Radicals who do it on an hourly basis. 

'

Ordinarily I'm in favor of letting hate speech go because it's protected free speech and it instantly ostracizes whomever said it from a societal perspective.

But surely we can't say such things on private platforms and have expectations of not facing repercussions. People do not have a constitutional right to say whatever inflammatory stuff they want on private platforms and get a free pass. If I got up today and started telling people how much I hated a certain race or gays, Huskerboard would rightly take action, up to an including a ban.

The Reddit story does not serve your argument. While they did ban biggest Trump subreddit, they also banned the largest far left subreddit, ChapoTrapHouse, whose ideology would make Bernie blush. Not because they didn't like their ideas, but because they consistently called for violence against politicians and broke Reddit's rules.  

Not really sure why you thin the Right is less violent than the left. Leftists are throwing paint on statues. Meanwhile:

gettyimages-830617832_ae8ef635cc2999d093

161214152504-john-mcgraw-trump-rally-pun

White-Supremacy-Report-2018-chapter-11a.\

In the United States, right-wing violence is on the rise

White nationalism-fueled violence is on the rise, but FBI is slow to call it domestic terrorism

U.S. sees steady rise in violence by white supremacists

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

Not really sure why you thin the Right is less violent than the left.

No one does, in good faith. It is false equivalency whataboutism to make themselves feel better about their associations. 

• Plus1 6
21 minutes ago, QMany said:

No one does, in good faith. It is false equivalency whataboutism to make themselves feel better about their associations. 

I mean I fully understand that NDJ comes here to push lazy right-wing memes moreso than discuss in good faith as our resident dogged Trump supporter, but sometimes it's fun to give him the benefit of the doubt that he actually hold some of his stated convictions.

• Plus1 3

There may be some uptick since the protests/riots began, but generally:

https://www.npr.org/2017/06/16/533255619/fact-check-is-left-wing-violence-rising

Still, their numbers are tiny in relation to the mainstream political left. And, say experts, it's misleading for right-wing groups to suggest that the Antifa are more violent than right-wing extremists.

"The far left is very active in the United States, but it hasn't been particularly violent for some time," says Mark Pitcavage, a senior research fellow at the Anti-Defamation League's Center on Extremism.

He says the numbers between the groups don't compare.

"In the past 10 years when you look at murders committed by domestic extremists in the United States of all types, right-wing extremists are responsible for about 74 percent of those murders," Pitcavage says.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

NDJ, today you learned that hate speech = calling for violence against a group or person = not covered by the 1st Amendment.

The bolded part is wrong. Not all hate speech incites violence.

Hate speech is protected under the 1st Amendment with several SC cases upholding the protections of hate speech. Speech with a clear incitement of violence is not protected under the 1st Amendment.

• Plus1 1
7 hours ago, QMany said:

I don't know how to argue with anyone who says the sky is green.  Are they thinking that urban street people in overwhelmingly blue territories are not violent or are they actually right wing?

• Plus1 1

1 minute ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I don't know how to argue with anyone who says the sky is green.  Are they thinking that urban street people in overwhelmingly blue territories are not violent or are they actually right wing?

Any comment on the Russian bounties on our soldiers that Trump ignored? Hello?

dQW9DkT.gif

20 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Those “urban street people” committing violence are most likely “entrepreneurs” that are disgusted by governmental regulations that are detrimental to how they conduct business.  They also tend to be avid gun owners.

Sounds like a conservative group to me :dunno

• Plus1 1