The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

3 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

Trump isn't tough on China. Come on, all he's doing is leveraging the US economy to get more trademarks for Ivanka, and Hotel deals for him. This was never about the American worker for him. How does anyone still believe that???

you might want to check out the latest happenings in the SCS.  Now that the trade deal is kaput I think Trump is on the verge of issuing a Reagan-esque directive to put the CCP out of everyone's misery.

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
31 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

you might want to check out the latest happenings in the SCS.  Now that the trade deal is kaput I think Trump is on the verge of issuing a Reagan-esque directive to put the CCP out of everyone's misery.

tweet storm probably won't be as effective as desert storm

• Plus1 3
9 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

So defund the police?  I see a problem when Democrats want to take away or erode police protection while eliminating the ability to defend oneself.  Some on the far right might support getting rid of the police.  Don't complain when they take matters into their own hands and there is no police to arrest them, they may not like your complaint.  There is $500M worth of bad mob behavior in Minneapolis, should we examine that?

You're gonna hear some extremist takes, but Defund the Police is a concept based on taking calls away from the Police Department that they really don't want anyway.  Instead of handling all the domestic disturbances, mental health patients acting out, the pit bull complaints, the stranded motorists, and the squabbling neighbor calls, they are handled by social workers, trained conflict resolvers, and the SPCA, bolstered by a fraction of the police budget. This means fewer heightened incidents handled by less-trained people bearing guns. Some police admit liking the basic idea, if not the language and attitude that comes with it. Also, it's absolutely crazy how militarized the local police have become. It's expensive and it's counter--productive.  A smaller police budget can just mean a more efficient and less-strained police department. 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I hope not.  China is a nuclear power and are bats#!t crazy enough to use them.  Let's take the Reagan route of taking down the USSR.

you think china is going to nuke us over a trump tweet storm?  

44 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

You're gonna hear some extremist takes, but Defund the Police is a concept based on taking calls away from the Police Department that they really don't want anyway.  Instead of handling all the domestic disturbances, mental health patients acting out, the pit bull complaints, the stranded motorists, and the squabbling neighbor calls, they are handled by social workers, trained conflict resolvers, and the SPCA, bolstered by a fraction of the police budget. This means fewer heightened incidents handled by less-trained people bearing guns. Some police admit liking the basic idea, if not the language and attitude that comes with it. Also, it's absolutely crazy how militarized the local police have become. It's expensive and it's counter--productive.  A smaller police budget can just mean a more efficient and less-strained police department. 

Sounds reasonable.  I believe Minneapolis took the extreme route although it sounds like there are some hurdles before actually getting the police defunded.  One other situation I heard suggested was domestic dispute cases which police have said can be quite dangerous.  A lot of this seems knee jerk and Dems are feeling their way through things.  My concern with well meaning social programs is that the only thing they accomplish is widening the income gap between the poor and middle class (social workers) in minority communities.  I remember Thomas Sowell talking about this so these proposals need to be judged on whether it provides better service.  The militarization of police was in response to police being outgunned.  The pendulum is swinging back the other way now but if the Dems don't eliminate the police, the pendulum will eventually swing back the other way when crime spirals out of control.

8 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Sounds reasonable.  I believe Minneapolis took the extreme route although it sounds like there are some hurdles before actually getting the police defunded.  One other situation I heard suggested was domestic dispute cases which police have said can be quite dangerous.  A lot of this seems knee jerk and Dems are feeling their way through things.  My concern with well meaning social programs is that the only thing they accomplish is widening the income gap between the poor and middle class (social workers) in minority communities.  I remember Thomas Sowell talking about this so these proposals need to be judged on whether it provides better service.  The militarization of police was in response to police being outgunned.  The pendulum is swinging back the other way now but if the Dems don't eliminate the police, the pendulum will eventually swing back the other way when crime spirals out of control.

This is a great argument for outlawing most guns. While there will be a growth period, in the end confiscating and destroying all guns from the citizenry will allow the police to disarm, and get back to their stated objective of "Serve and Protect."

• Haha 2
29 minutes ago, knapplc said:

This is a great argument for outlawing most guns. While there will be a growth period, in the end confiscating and destroying all guns from the citizenry will allow the police to disarm, and get back to their stated objective of "Serve and Protect."

you do realize police are not legally obligated to serve and protect us?  I want gramps and women to have the right to protect themselves from physical harm.

https://www.criminallegalnews.org/news/2019/apr/12/police-not-required-protect-are-they-required-serve/

• Fire 1
On 7/13/2020 at 7:41 PM, Moiraine said:

None of those are under attack.

Great timing. 

In tonight's irony segment a woke liberal woman at the new york times calls out their intolerance. 

Op-eds that would have easily been published just two years ago would now get an editor or a writer in serious trouble, if not fired. If a piece is perceived as likely to inspire backlash internally or on social media, the editor or writer avoids pitching it. If she feels strongly enough to suggest it, she is quickly steered to safer ground. And if, every now and then, she succeeds in getting a piece published that does not explicitly promote progressive causes, it happens only after every line is carefully massaged, negotiated and caveated.

BTW liberals deny the media does exactly what one of their own just said they do. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

In response to mass protests over a police treatment of stranded motorists :sarcasm

• Plus1 2
6 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

you do realize police are not legally obligated to serve and protect us?  I want gramps and women to have the right to protect themselves from physical harm.

https://www.criminallegalnews.org/news/2019/apr/12/police-not-required-protect-are-they-required-serve/

Gramps and women responsibly carrying a pistol for personal protection Isn’t the problem.   It’s Billy-Bob with his collection of AR’s, high capacity magazines and 15-20 pistols that make the police feel “outgunned.”

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Good lord, they are bad at this. 2016 is a long time ago and a lot of things have happened in the interim, but I don't remember the Trump campaign being this bad back then.

That ad reminds me so much of this campaign ad from a classic Simpson's episode: "Mayor Quimby even released Sideshow Bob -- a man twice convicted of attempted murder. Can YOU trust a man like Mayor Quimby? (Vote Sideshow Bob for mayor.)"

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 2
11 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

The militarization of police was in response to police being outgunned.  The pendulum is swinging back the other way now but if the Dems don't eliminate the police, the pendulum will eventually swing back the other way when crime spirals out of control.

I'll have to double-check, but I think a lot of the militarization of local police forces came from the U.S. military and contractors looking to off-load surplus assault vehicles, flack-jackets, and firearms at discount prices. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1