The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

21 hours ago, teachercd said:

Wait, you don't think 20% not understanding a simple message is a lot?

That is a staggering %.  Think if you ran a business and 20% of the people didn't understand your pitch.  You would be out of business.

Think in a classroom...20% of the class having no f#&%ing clue what is going.

20% of drivers not knowing Red, Green Yellow.

Not a shot at Red(Denver) because I do appreciate and respect him...

But to your point, "it's just 18%..  it's just 20%.." 

20 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

That's probably the scariest thing about Biden.  For years we've watched multi-national companies shift jobs overseas to China with the explanation "Globalization is good, the market is just being efficient and those factory workers can now do more technical jobs".  Next came high tech jobs as multi-nationals required their engineers to train their Chinese replacements.  Along comes Trump and he starts talking about the dangers of China.  Trump wasn't elected by a bunch of racist deplorables, he was elected because of one word- China.  These multi-national American companies don't give a damn about American people.  If Trump was controlled by corporations why would he be tough on China?  It's the exact opposite, the multi-nationals still want the fools gold that is the China market and need Trump out of the way.  I don't want the tax returns of a billionaire that decided to become a public servant.  I want the tax returns of public servants that have become millionaires while in office.  Why are Democrats so quiet on China?  

You really need to put that critical thinking hat back on and review Trump's position(s) on China. They are all over the place. Trump is a suck up and "great friend" of President Xi when he needs something (or Xi flatters him), and they are the enemy when he needs an enemy (which is often). His toughest action against China has been trade embargoes and so far it's mostly Americans who have suffered. Sometimes it's hard to get any read at all; an afternoon tweet from Trump on China may contradict the official White House statement that morning.  

You know that all those MAGA hats and Trump swag are made in China, right? That seems like a simple place to get tough. 

FWIW....the tax returns of Donald Trump are most likely to reveal what's been known for a long time: felony tax evasion. Also, he's not quite the successful business man he portrays on TV -- and that's his greatest fear. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
39 minutes ago, knapplc said:

but I don't remember the Trump campaign being this bad back then.

Trump was good when he had no track record and could talk about how bad things were from the outside. People related to an outsider crapping on politicians. Now he's in charge, ain't no fun when the rabbits got the gun. 

• Plus1 2

Just now, FrantzHardySwag said:

Trump was good when he had no track record and could talk about how bad things were from the outside. People related to an outsider crapping on politicians. Now he's in charge, ain't no fun when the rabbits got the gun. 

Yep!

He was the "incoming freshmen" that was for sure going to be a starter...

Now...not so much.  Ha

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Undone said:

Does it seem like this election isn't getting talked about nationally as it normally would in other cycles at this point in July of the election year? I'm not talking about on this board, but elsewhere.

Is that just me?

No. I find myself often wondering "hey, aren't the Democrats running a candidate this year?"

It's a really weird election. 

• Plus1 2
22 hours ago, teachercd said:

Wait, you don't think 20% not understanding a simple message is a lot?

That is a staggering %.  Think if you ran a business and 20% of the people didn't understand your pitch.  You would be out of business.

Think in a classroom...20% of the class having no f#&%ing clue what is going.

20% of drivers not knowing Red, Green Yellow.

20% of Americans can't find the United States on a map. 

The 80% number is far higher than I would have expected. 

6 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

No. I find myself often wondering "hey, aren't the Democrats running a candidate this year?"

It's a really weird election. 

Some of it is obviously the Pandemic and BLM movements. I have to think that the incredibly incorrect prognostications from 2016 are a reason why they are being downplayed this time around. 

1 minute ago, Cdog923 said:

Some of it is obviously the Pandemic and BLM movements. I have to think that the incredibly incorrect prognostications from 2016 are a reason why they are being downplayed this time around. 

It also makes strategic sense to let Donald Trump ramble, let The Lincoln Project do all your advertising, and pull Joe Biden out only for select scripted moments. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 2
55 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Good lord, they are bad at this. 2016 is a long time ago and a lot of things have happened in the interim, but I don't remember the Trump campaign being this bad back then.

Probably the first time in history the incumbent president has tried to run against the status quo and pretend they're not the incumbent.

33 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I'll have to double-check, but I think a lot of the militarization of local police forces came from the U.S. military and contractors looking to off-load surplus assault vehicles, flack-jackets, and firearms at discount prices. 

giphy.gif

Yet another brick in the wall that makes the military industrial complex so hard to constrain. Why worry about a massive surplus of equipment when you can strike a sweet heart deal with police departments?

16 minutes ago, Undone said:

Does it seem like this election isn't getting talked about nationally as it normally would in other cycles at this point in July of the election year? I'm not talking about on this board, but elsewhere.

Is that just me?

It's been anything but a normal year so far. Other events are crowding out horserace coverage.

• Plus1 1
32 minutes ago, Undone said:

Is that just me?

I agree.  It's like the election has been put on hold till maybe September.