The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

27 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

You don't think the trade deal which put a dent into the trade deficit was good?

Do you have evidence that the trade deal put a dent into the trade deficit? I mean, there was a lot of speculating but I haven't seen anything to make me think it worked even a little.

8 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

So Trump should have just put on cruise control like Obama and Biden did and let China take advantage of us?

I love the monomaniacal focus on Obama/Biden. Because that trade deficit started out under Reagan, got worse under Bush, Clinton, Bush & Obama. 

CnygPe3.jpg

Not exactly the point you're making, is it?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I love the monomaniacal focus on Obama/Biden. Because that trade deficit started out under Reagan, got worse under Bush, Clinton, Bush & Obama. 

CnygPe3.jpg

Unless my eyes deceive me the growth rate of the deficit wasn't as large under Obama as for Trump.

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, Cdog923 said:

We don't really have a Congressional Election thread, but Tommy Tuberville (yes, that one) beat Jeff Sessions in an Republican run-off, and Alabama Democrats aren't ****ing around: 

Senator Tubberville will have a great freshman year.  But halfway through he will try to move down to the House of Reps.

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Most Republicans will freely admit that the Bush were responsible for a lot of the China mess and Clinton getting them into the WTO didn't help either.  These guys were operating under the Kissinger thinking that with increased wealth China would become more democratic.  It's obvious under XI that is not going to happen- surprise they're communists!  Our trade with China has only made them wealthier and more aggressive.  I think we can all agree that the chart shows this is a real problem.  Question is, who do you believe will do something about it?  Trump, the guy that's been talking about China for years or Biden who did nothing as VP other than get his son a $1.5B loan from China.  If you were president what would you do to address the trade imbalance with China?

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

Most Republicans will freely admit that the Bush were responsible for a lot of the China mess and Clinton getting them into the WTO didn't help either.  These guys were operating under the Kissinger thinking that with increased wealth China would become more democratic.  It's obvious under XI that is not going to happen- surprise they're communists!  Our trade with China has only made them wealthier and more aggressive.  I think we can all agree that the chart shows this is a real problem.  Question is, who do you believe will do something about it?  Trump, the guy that's been talking about China for years or Biden who did nothing as VP other than get his son a $1.5B loan from China.  If you were president what would you do to address the trade imbalance with China?

Biden, without question. Trump can be bought with some lovely letters, as he showed with Kim Jong Un. And now the Norks are building nukes again. 

Trump couldn't negotiate a trade deal to save his life. Every other national leader laughs at him. Xi is running circles around Trump because Trump won't listen to his experts. He just shoots from the hip and expects others to bow down. China isn't about that. 

Biden is going to rebuild our foreign relations teams. We don't need a one-man show, we need a full team effort. Trump can't work as a team. Look how many times his coms people have said "Trump didn't mean _____, he really meant _______" only for Trump to tweet out the next day "I really DID mean ______!"  That kind of bizarro mixed messaging may make for some great clips on Fox & Friends but it's no way to run a government.

When is Mexico paying for that wall, by the way?

• Plus1 4
53 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Biden, without question. Trump can be bought with some lovely letters, as he showed with Kim Jong Un. And now the Norks are building nukes again. 

Trump couldn't negotiate a trade deal to save his life. Every other national leader laughs at him. Xi is running circles around Trump because Trump won't listen to his experts. He just shoots from the hip and expects others to bow down. China isn't about that. 

Biden is going to rebuild our foreign relations teams. We don't need a one-man show, we need a full team effort. Trump can't work as a team. Look how many times his coms people have said "Trump didn't mean _____, he really meant _______" only for Trump to tweet out the next day "I really DID mean ______!"  That kind of bizarro mixed messaging may make for some great clips on Fox & Friends but it's no way to run a government.

When is Mexico paying for that wall, by the way?

Kim Jong Un?  Isn't he that guy that threw a temper tantrum by blowing up a building because Trump isn't giving in to nuclear blackmail? 

I like what Trump has done with foreign relations in the Pacific region.  He got countries that were spending a paltry 1% of GDP on defense to increase to 2%.  Meanwhile we were providing defense in the region free of charge while spending 3.4% GDP.  There were a lot of fence sitters in the region and I believe Trump put it to these countries that they would need to choose between a China dominated world or a US dominated world.  I believe COVID helped make up their mind.

Is Biden even interested in a trade deal with China?  I think he's calling it laissez faire trade deal

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Kim Jong Un?  Isn't he that guy that threw a temper tantrum by blowing up a building because Trump isn't giving in to nuclear blackmail? 

He's the guy currently building nukes under Trump's nose to sell to our enemies. And Trump hasn't done a thing about it, except to act like a buffoon when Kim sends him letters.

Is that the USMCA?  Look for the charges in there.

It's not in NAFTA II. Mexico isn't paying for the wall.  There won't be a wall like Trump promised.  For the love of Bob Devaney's ghost, Trump tried to take money out of the military budget to build his dumb wall. Open your eyes!! :lol:

• Plus1 2
1 minute ago, knapplc said:

It's not in NAFTA II. Mexico isn't paying for the wall.  There won't be a wall like Trump promised.  For the love of Bob Devaney's ghost, Trump tried to take money out of the military budget to build his dumb wall. Open your eyes!! :lol:

500 miles of beautiful wall by November.  I sleep better knowing that Trump is protecting our borders.  Desperate times call for desperate measures and it can be argued that it is national defense.  My understanding is that the open border Democrats wouldn't give him money for the wall.  Are you an open border guy?  Do you not think legal immigration is the proper way to handle immigration?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
39 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

No question Biden will improve our reputation (it's going to take a while) around the world after the current blubbering idiot is voted out.  We also will go back to actually having experts in trade and relations in our government and a President that will listen to them.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

500 miles of beautiful wall by November.  I sleep better knowing that Trump is protecting our borders.  Desperate times call for desperate measures and it can be argued that it is national defense.  My understanding is that the open border Democrats wouldn't give him money for the wall.  Are you an open border guy?  Do you not think legal immigration is the proper way to handle immigration?

Interesting that you're lulled to sleep with such a false sense of security against a threat that probably really doesn't threaten you at all.

• Plus1 2