The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Having support and having enough support to win are two different things. Just because the Trump supporters are louder doesn't always mean there are more of them. 

2016 says:

tumblr_m3kklljhDP1rq52vgo1_400.gifv

But seriously living here I can tell you that he still has a lot of support. I know plenty of people who are still aboard the Trump train, mostly because he's an "R". He may lose Michigan this time around, but it will be closer than that poll.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ZRod said:

2016 says:

tumblr_m3kklljhDP1rq52vgo1_400.gifv

But seriously living here I can tell you that he still has a lot of support. I know plenty of people who are still aboard the Trump train, mostly because he's an "R". He may lose Michigan this time around, but it will be closer than that poll.

Oh I have no doubt it will be closer than the polls but not enough to win in a fair election. 2016 and 2020 are two completely different animals imo. 

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

He doesn't want the news dump about Cain and GDP to be the story today. So here is our distraction. By November Trump is gonna be so toxic that nobody outside of his Trumper stronghold will want to touch him with a 10 foot poll. The R's in congress and the Senate will need life after Trump, and will jump off that sinking ship soon. 

2 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

He doesn't want the news dump about Cain and GDP to be the story today. So here is our distraction. By November Trump is gonna be so toxic that nobody outside of his Trumper stronghold will want to touch him with a 10 foot poll. The R's in congress and the Senate will need life after Trump, and will jump off that sinking ship soon. 

We will see. Alot of people claim this is just a distraction and while it may be a distraction, I think he also said what he meant. The reason I say this is because he has been saying it or some variation of it for 2 years.

The thing about the GOP is at this point they probably see there is no life after Trump. They have followed him too far to turn back now. If they decide to turn on him they still lose their elections and have no backup plan to ensure power. 

• Plus1 1

8 hours ago, commando said:

watch the entire right wing media now start to push for a delay.   

Well I think it's just Trump being Trump.  But it poses a good question.  If some governors have the power to delay a campaign by banning rallies and conventions, then does it not follow that the election can be delayed too?

• Fire 1
9 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Well I think it's just Trump being Trump.  But it poses a good question.  If some governors have the power to delay a campaign by banning rallies and conventions, then does it not follow that the election can be delayed too?

:facepalm:

• Plus1 1

this guy is far right....but look at what he has to say about moving the election.  guess this makes him a never trumper and a RINO

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/07/30/opinion/trump-delay-election-coronavirus.html

I am frankly appalled by the president’s recent tweet seeking to postpone the November election. Until recently, I had taken as political hyperbole the Democrats’ assertion that President Trump is a fascist. But this latest tweet is fascistic and is itself grounds for the president’s immediate impeachment again by the House of Representatives and his removal from office by the Senate.

• Plus1 2
52 minutes ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

If you don't think Trump suggesting tampering with our election is serious, this is an example of the kind of rationalization many of his supporters will gravitate to now that he's suggested it.

Do not underestimate the willingness of Republicans to monkey around with our democratic processes if they think it will help them.

In 2018 Georgia Governor Brian Kemp was merely the guy in charge of administering an election he was a candidate in. He oversaw massive voter purges of massively disproportionate minority voters when his opponent was Black. He also oversaw closures of polling places, again in disproportionately minority communities. He also blatantly lied by accusing the GA Democratic Party of hacking the state registration website TWO DAYS before the general election. It was later discovered there was zero evidence to support his claim. But he won the election by a very narrow margin (1.5%) so one could call his tactics successful, I guess? 

Arizona Governor Doug Ducey has had no problem closing lots of polling places in Arizona, again in very disproportionately urban and minority areas. Anybody who's watched any election coverage the past couple years should remember the ridiculously long lines in cities like Phoenix and stories of people waiting 6+ hours in line to vote. 

Trumpers can claim this is all a joke or Trump raises a good point or whatever, but there's some kernel of truth in the vast majority of stuff that's said even jokingly. And anyone who thinks these clowns have any reservation at all about trying to rig the game if they think it will help them isn't paying attention.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Not at all.  

Edit: I’m curious. Why would you think banning rallies or in-person conventions would be in the same vein  as forcing states to postpone their election?

• Plus1 1

I don't often read Vanity Fair but this story is incredibly damning for the entire administration from the top down. In particular it reiterates Kushner's incompetence and fecklessness, in case you thought putting him in charge of a national testing strategy or Middle East peace were actually good ideas.

Nothing more needs said if you read it. 

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I don't often read Vanity Fair but this story is incredibly damning for the entire administration from the top down. In particular it reiterates Kushner's incompetence and fecklessness, in case you thought putting him in charge of a national testing strategy or Middle East peace were actually good ideas.

Nothing more needs said if you read it. 

And we have people on this very board saying "But Fauci!". It's obvious Trump listening to people like Kushner over people like Fauci IS the problem.

• Plus1 3
5 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

How is banning rally’s delaying a campaign?  It affects both candidates and they both have other options to reach voters. 

Or, are you trying to help trump set the stage for delaying/canceling the election because he’s failing so bad?

• Plus1 4
On 7/29/2020 at 9:17 PM, Moiraine said:

I saw today Trump's average poll margin in Texas is 0.2%. Really hoping he loses Texas just to send a big message to the Republican party that they don't have a future if they continue to elect pieces of s#!t then let them break whatever rules they want.

Yep. I want Trump and all Republicans trounced in this election. I don't think the R's will ever get straightened out again but it would feel good to see those who drove my old party into the ground get decimated so that maybe they get back to something resembling rational behavior....or just go away.

What I'd really like to see is complete Democrat control, long enough for them vote to rescind all of the perks former Presidents get just from Trump. Jerk his secret service protection and anything else that costs us more than about 2 cents. He hasn't served us, only himself. It would be fitting.....then he can catch Covid and die for all I care.

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yep. I want Trump and all Republicans trounced in this election. I don't think the R's will ever get straightened out again but it would feel good to see those who drove my old party into the ground get decimated so that maybe they get back to something resembling rational behavior....or just go away.

What I'd really like to see is complete Democrat control, long enough for them vote to rescind all of the perks former Presidents get just from Trump. Jerk his secret service protection and anything else that costs us more than about 2 cents. He hasn't served us, only himself. It would be fitting.....then he can catch Covid and die for all I care.

Maybe there could just be a new party called The Conservative Party.

Ideally what I'd like to happen is Trump lose the election and get removed and then fade a way; whatever it takes for that to happen. I don't want to have to keep hearing from him for ages which I fear is what's going to happen. Although if it hurts the Republican party to have him stick around being an a$$h@!e, then I guess it's ok.

• Plus1 2