The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

https://apnews.com/d64defdd9960885f1fbe6be2f8714afe

President Donald Trump claimed Monday that he has the authority to issue an executive order on mail-in ballots, whose increasing use, he argues, could increase election fraud and uncertainty, though it is is unclear what he could do to curtail the practice.

“I have the right to do it,” Trump told reporters at a White House press conference. “We haven’t gotten there yet, we’ll see what happens.”

Trump added that Republicans are planning to file suit as soon as Tuesday to try to block Nevada’s expansion of mail-in voting.

Nearly all election procedures are governed on a state-by-state basis, with the remainder set by Congress or enshrined in the Constitution. There is no precedent or apparent authority for Trump to try to curtail the use of mail-in ballots by executive order, though he could use a document to formalize his opposition to the practice.

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

That really exposes Trump as manipulating the data and not wanting to talk about legitimate data. 

You know that's a good point.

As damning as it is for Trump, it's just as damning for the people around him propping him up. They realize he's an ignorant loose cannon that's liable to blow if he's presented with information he doesn't like, and it's been reported repeatedly that they end-around that by only presenting him with select, curated information/polls/talking points/whatever that he personally finds suitable to keep him placated.

This is what happens when he's only armed with that junk and someone steps in with a dose of reality.

2 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

You know that's a good point.

As damning as it is for Trump, it's just as damning for the people around him propping him up. They realize he's an ignorant loose cannon that's liable to blow if he's presented with information he doesn't like, and it's been reported repeatedly that they end-around that by only presenting him with select, curated information/polls/talking points/whatever that he personally finds suitable to keep him placated.

This is what happens when he's only armed with that junk and someone steps in with a dose of reality.

Yep....you're a pathetic leader if you demand to only be presented with good information that makes you look good.....instead of reality.

13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

Not sure why people always jump to this conclusion unless they are just saying all Trumpers are trolls, and a lot of them are. The ones that like Trump because he "owns the libs." But they are not all trolls in the sense that it's all a big joke; there are many people who think this way, in real life, without it being a joke. I know some of them. I have a FB acquaintance who posts this kind of stuff all the time under her real name and it's her true feelings.

I posted it somewhere already but I saw someone post on FB that God gives us all an allotted time to die so there is no point in wearing a mask. This person has a kid who underwent treatment for an illness that can cause death. These people are out there and they mean what they say.

I say it because I know he's intelligent from the body of stuff he's contributed to the board, but he's never really here to have an intellectually honest conversation. It's all zingers and snappy retorts about the opposition party. And even when that stuff gets pushback, he sidesteps it to continue a similar argument. As opposed to the rest of us who don't particularly play favorites other than despising Trump and can admit when either party f#&%s something up.

I feel like back and forths with NDJ involve more ducking and weaving than either of the boxing matches I watched last night.

But your point is correct. There are a lot of people who legitimately think this stuff out there WITHOUT the self-awareness to know better and that's scary as hell.

• Plus1 1
14 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Yep....you're a pathetic leader if you demand to only be presented with good information that makes you look good.....instead of reality.

Equally pathetic are the grifters and bootlickers A-OK going along with the arrangement no matter how bad it is for the country because they get to cling to power and keep collecting paychecks. 

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, commando said:

they all did wear mask though....i thought social distancing was wear a mask if you can't stay 6 feet apart.    you never see a mask at a trump rally and 6 feet apart isn't required,   even with the exemption they were doing better then a trump rally.

The CDC recommends social distancing of at least 6 feet and wearing a mask. If people aren't wearing masks indoors they should be up to 10 feet away from each other.

• Plus1 1

9 hours ago, Landlord said:

John Lewis' funeral had no social distancing.

Ok on them getting an exemption, but this is false. I'm guessing the 3rd from the left are the family members who aren't distancing as much. They probably knew they'd be at more than the allowed capacity, but it's clear they still limited attendance by a lot and spread out.

webRNS-Lewis-Funeral1-073020-1200x731.jp

8 minutes ago, Landlord said:

That's a lot of people in those center sections. Not sure how that photo does anything other than confirm it.

EeNM6rmWsAE7T5p?format=jpg&name=medium

TqHyKwZ.png

1000-1-1.jpeg?fit=1000,562&ssl=1

I already said the family section wasn't distancing as much. The church is at less than 50% capacity. I find it highly unlikely this wouldn't have been at 100% capacity had he died at any other time.

7 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

I find it highly unlikely this wouldn't have been at 100% capacity had he died at any other time.

Agreed, but that's different than whether or not social distancing was enforced at the funeral, which it wasn't, although a decent amount seem to be anyways.

3 hours ago, Landlord said:

Agreed, but that's different than whether or not social distancing was enforced at the funeral, which it wasn't, although a decent amount seem to be anyways.

But you said it "had no social distancing." We weren't talking about whether it was enforced or not. Of course it wasn't - they had to get permission for it not to be.