The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

44 minutes ago, funhusker said:

There is about 35% of Americans that need to be seriously slapped up side the head...

And I have some of these in my family which makes me very sad . Any advice from anyone on this?   Conversations are utterly hopeless because they invariably turn into arguments because they’re so ingrained with Limbaugh and Hannity.  SMH

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, commando said:

voting by mail has always been allowed.   much our military usually has to vote by mail.   trump votes by mail.   trump even admits that absentee voting is very good.....it's the voting by mail that's bad according to him.    thing is....absentee voting and voting by mail are the same damn thing.   

I have yet to choose a side in this argument, however I will say that the bolded above is not correct, I don't think. 

To cast an absentee ballot, a voter must request the form and pick it up.

Vote by mail is sending out mass ballots, and having them mailed back. 

We saw what happened with stimulus checks; thousands of checks sent to people who died in the past couple of years. What about folks that move often, and don't forward their mail? I see a lot of issues with the vote by mail process, although I don't believe it will automatically bring about heinous intentional voter fraudsters

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I have yet to choose a side in this argument, however I will say that the bolded above is not correct, I don't think. 

We saw what happened with stimulus checks; thousands of checks sent to people who died in the past couple of years. What about folks that move often, and don't forward their mail? I see a lot of issues with the vote by mail process, although I don't believe it will automatically bring about heinous intentional voter fraudsters

from the linked article

Florida lawmakers changed the legal wording from “absentee” to “vote-by-mail” in 2016 to alleviate confusion, since voters weren’t required to be away from home to cast their ballot.

Just now, commando said:

from the linked article

Florida lawmakers changed the legal wording from “absentee” to “vote-by-mail” in 2016 to alleviate confusion, since voters weren’t required to be away from home to cast their ballot.

I get that. But they still must request it. The plan being bantied about is a mass mailing iirc 

• Plus1 1

28 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

I get that. But they still must request it. The plan being bantied about is a mass mailing iirc 

there are states that only do vote by mail.  oregon being the first to go there in 1998.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/elections/you-can-t-hack-paper-how-oregon-fights-election-meddling-n930481

Washington and Colorado also have mail-only elections, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. Twenty-two states promote some elections as "all-mail," but they don't preclude in-person voting, the conference says.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Commando. From that link

It's a system that consistently produces some of the highest voter participation rates in the country. In 2016, 68 percent of the state's registered voters voted, eight percent above the national average. The Oregon way is also endorsed across party lines. Current Secretary of State Dennis Richardson, a Republican, and one of his predecessors, Phil Keisling, a Democrat, agree that it gets people to vote and is cheaper and more secure than machines and polling places.

• Plus1 2
2 hours ago, DevoHusker said:

I think it's somewhat normal to wonder about these issues. But there are a ton of safeguards built in to prevent fraudulent mail-in voting. From this article I just found discussing said safety measures:

Each of the three election officials said the most common myth about absentee voting is that mail-in ballots are more susceptible to voter fraud.

Colorado’s Elections Director Judd Choate reflected that when asked about mail-in fraud, he likes to “tell the counter story.”

“People who vote in person sometimes don’t update their addresses, even when they have moved. But because it’s an in person voting model, the state or county doesn’t go to great extremes to keep [address] lists clean.”

In comparison, jurisdictions with all-mail elections must constantly update voters’ addresses to ensure that the right voters receive the right ballots. As a result, when a person moves, they are unlikely to get the wrong ballot by mail, whereas an in-person voter with an outdated address could be going to the wrong polling place for years.

Choate summarized: “In that way, vote-by-mail actually reduces fraud instead of promoting it.”

------

According to Washington’s Lori Augino, “The linchpin of our security is signature verification.”

“Every single signature on every single ballot that is returned to a county election official is checked against the signature on file in a voter’s registration record. This enables officials to do to two things: (1) ensure the ballot was returned by an eligible voter, and (2) if the signature on the ballot envelope does not match the signature on file, it gives the voter a chance to either update their record or alert election officials that the ballot returned may be fraudulent.”

San Diego County’s Registrar of Voters Michael Vu added that in addition to conducting signature verification, he takes the following precautions:

• Using an election management system to track every ballot issued and prevent double voting.
  • Updating voter registration lists daily to ensure the voter’s correct residence address and mailing address is on file.
  • Sending out mailers to determine if a person has moved.
  • Have staffed mail ballot drop off locations, adding a layer of security and transparency to the ballot drop off process.

-----------

Choate, Augino, and Vu all detailed a similar method for handling ballots with signature irregularities, rooted in a process known as ballot curing:

• “First, we contact the voter to mitigate the specific issue,” Augino said. Contacting voters about signature irregularities, or curing, is an essential part of any absentee voting process as it gives voters a chance to fix ballot errors before discarding them entirely.
  • Second, Choate explained that through the curing process officials determine “if the voter simply can’t repeat their signature, or if someone else voted the ballot.” Augino added that if it becomes clear that a voter’s file simply has an outdated signature, the voter would be given a chance to update their signature file to avoid any issues in the future. While local election administrators and their staffs conduct curing, Augino clarified that “county canvassing boards ultimately determine whether ballots in question may be counted.”
  • Finally, in the rare case that a ballot was cast fraudulently, election officials work with law enforcement to prosecute offenders. According to Augino, “In Washington state, it’s a Class C felony to commit voter fraud. When we find evidence, we take it seriously and forward it to law enforcement for investigation and consideration for prosecution.”

Quite a bit to skim through there but it's not as simple as receiving a ballot in the mail from someone and automatically counting it. There are lots of safeguards built in to counter fraud and ensure ballots get counted correctly.

Which is why the narrative Trump and the GOP are trying to promote about voting by mail is so heinous. They're either ignorant or lying.

19 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

I think it's somewhat normal to wonder about these issues. But there are a ton of safeguards built in to prevent fraudulent mail-in voting. From this article I just found discussing said safety measures:

Quite a bit to skim through there but it's not as simple as receiving a ballot in the mail from someone and automatically counting it. There are lots of safeguards built in to counter fraud and ensure ballots get counted correctly.

Which is why the narrative Trump and the GOP are trying to promote about voting by mail is so heinous. They're either ignorant or lying.

Great info! Thanks Danny 

7 hours ago, commando said:

voting by mail has always been allowed.   much our military usually has to vote by mail.   trump votes by mail.   trump even admits that absentee voting is very good.....it's the voting by mail that's bad according to him.    thing is....absentee voting and voting by mail are the same damn thing.   

voting by mail =/= requesting an absentee ballot.

And anyone who is reading up on the issue knows it. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1