The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

On 8/14/2020 at 1:14 AM, Notre Dame Joe said:

Yeah that's backwards.  The people trying to change the method of conducting elections into one where the ballots are mailed out unsupervised; they get the burden of justifying the change.

I’ve been voting by mail for years, at least back to when I voted for GW, maybe prior to that. What. Is. The. Problem?

Expecting no answer, I’ll tell you what the problem is; Trump is behind in the polls. He and his people know if the people, all of the people that are entitled to vote and want to vote, are allowed to cast their legal ballot, he will lose. It is that simple. Voting by mail is no more questionable than voting in person. It is a completely fabricated problem generated for the sole purpose of voter suppression. If you, anyone, has any verifiable facts (not anecdotes) disputing this and proving that voting by mail is some legitimate cause of voter fraud then share that information. Otherwise quit perpetuating the self serving lies of your dear leader.

I would be embarrassed beyond belief if I blindly kept my nose  buried up anybody’s a$$ the way some Trumpers do. The intelligence, allegiance and motives of anyone who trusts and believes that lying POS needs to be questioned.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2

40 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

It is a completely fabricated problem generated for the sole purpose of voter suppression.

It's more and worse than that. The worse the delays are the more he can say (and he already is saying it) "we don't really know who won" and then try to stay in office.

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

I’ve been voting by mail for years, at least back to when I voted for GW, maybe prior to that. What. Is. The. Problem?

Expecting no answer, I’ll tell you what the problem is; Trump is behind in the polls. He and his people know if the people, all of the people that are entitled to vote and want to vote, are allowed to cast their legal ballot, he will lose. It is that simple. Voting by mail is no more questionable than voting in person. It is a completely fabricated problem generated for the sole purpose of voter suppression. If you, anyone, has any verifiable facts (not anecdotes) disputing this and proving that voting by mail is some legitimate cause of voter fraud then share that information. Otherwise quit perpetuating the self serving lies of your dear leader.

I would be embarrassed beyond belief if I blindly kept my nose  buried up anybody’s a$$ the way some Trumpers do. The intelligence, allegiance and motives of anyone who trusts and believes that lying POS needs to be questioned.

the fake problem is to say that voting in the privacy on the booth has not worked for over 200 years. It's only a problem to those who feel those voters are making the wrong choice without someone looking over their shoulder and harvesting their ballot.  So they invent solutions like vote by mail for reasons explained in the linked article.  A transparent power grab by meddling with our elections. 

• Haha 1
  • Fire 1
5 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

the fake problem is to say that voting in the privacy on the booth has not worked for over 200 years. It's only a problem to those who feel those voters are making the wrong choice without someone looking over their shoulder and harvesting their ballot.  So they invent solutions like vote by mail for reasons explained in the linked article.  A transparent power grab by meddling with our elections. 

My bad @JJ Husker, you're probably right...

JJHusker: "Ya think? Prove it with anything, even one thing, that @Notre Dame Joe has posted on this board."

•  

5 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Can't provide proof to back up your delusional claims.

Toss in a straw man. Nobody is saying voting in person hasn't worked. 

And then claim voting by mail is some new power grab, like it hasn't been around a long time in many places already.

Do you know what day it is?

Is that air you're breathing?

You're not worth talking to and sure not worth listening to. 

• Thanks 1

I don't have any issue at all with making it as easy as possible for people to vote.  I think that the age should be changed to "HS Junior" so that they can take a class (quarter class) about the election and learn about the issues and people running then have the chance to vote at their school if it is an election year.

I am fine with voting by mail too...but to act like the post office doesn't have issues, well, that is insane.  I still get mail for the people that lived in my house and that was 8 years ago.  I get my neighbors mail probably twice a month.  Now, I have one of those community mailbox things where there are like 20 mailboxes in one spot.  So that might play a part in the mix ups. 

With all of that said, I am also not crazy and I really don't think that most people are looking for ways to rig mail in ballots.  

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

I don't have any issue at all with making it as easy as possible for people to vote.  I think that the age should be changed to "HS Junior" so that they can take a class (quarter class) about the election and learn about the issues and people running then have the chance to vote at their school if it is an election year.

I am fine with voting by mail too...but to act like the post office doesn't have issues, well, that is insane.  I still get mail for the people that lived in my house and that was 8 years ago.  I get my neighbors mail probably twice a month.  Now, I have one of those community mailbox things where there are like 20 mailboxes in one spot.  So that might play a part in the mix ups. 

With all of that said, I am also not crazy and I really don't think that most people are looking for ways to rig mail in ballots.  

My only "disagreement" would be about you getting the previous owners mail.  Assuming the address is correct, that's on the person sending the mail or the person who had hoped to receive that mail, the Post Office did their job.

I'm assuming, one name would get one ballot.  If "Bob Smith" was expecting a mail-in ballot and it got mailed to his former home, but he still showed up on the rolls as casting a vote, wouldn't that throw up a huge red flag.  And have the person at the address listed as a prime suspect?  It could get messy though.."I thought it was mine...", "It didn't show up here..." etc...

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, funhusker said:

My only "disagreement" would be about you getting the previous owners mail.  Assuming the address is correct, that's on the person sending the mail or the person who had hoped to receive that mail, the Post Office did their job.

I'm assuming, one name would get one ballot.  If "Bob Smith" was expecting a mail-in ballot and it got mailed to his former home, but he still showed up on the rolls as casting a vote, wouldn't that throw up a huge red flag.  And have the person at the address listed as a prime suspect?  It could get messy though.."I thought it was mine...", "It didn't show up here..." etc...

Yeah, good points.

If I got someones ballot in my mailbox, I am guessing there is a 99% chance that I just throw it out.  I would think most people would do that unless maybe they knew the person pretty well.

14 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Absolutely no doubt, the USPS does have problems. Their service has gone downhill drastically over the last 10-20 years. Ive had multiple pieces of mail lost and have seen letters take ten days to be delivered that weren't even going halfway across the country. But I don't believe they or the method of voting by mail contributes any additional threat of fraudulent voting. The thing that gives it all away is that Trump is purposefully trying to handicap USPS performance. It's not anything to do with voter fraud. He straight up doesn't want people to vote.

Like you said, make it as easy and convenient as possible. That's why I've been doing it that way for about 20+ years. Who wants to go to a polling place and deal with crowds and strange people when you can accomplish the same thing in your own home. Also, we almost always take our ballots directly to an official drive thru ballot drop box, so we aren't even relying on the postal service to get them delivered in time. It hasn't been any sort of problem.

29 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Absolutely no doubt, the USPS does have problems. Their service has gone downhill drastically over the last 10-20 years. Ive had multiple pieces of mail lost and have seen letters take ten days to be delivered that weren't even going halfway across the country. But I don't believe they or the method of voting by mail contributes any additional threat of fraudulent voting. The thing that gives it all away is that Trump is purposefully trying to handicap USPS performance. It's not anything to do with voter fraud. He straight up doesn't want people to vote.

Like you said, make it as easy and convenient as possible. That's why I've been doing it that way for about 20+ years. Who wants to go to a polling place and deal with crowds and strange people when you can accomplish the same thing in your own home. Also, we almost always take our ballots directly to an official drive thru ballot drop box, so we aren't even relying on the postal service to get them delivered in time. It hasn't been any sort of problem.

But to address @Notre Dame Joe's question.  Do your neighbors come over and look over your shoulder to tell you who to vote for?  And then beat on you until you fill in the "correct" bubble?  That's happening everywhere, right?

• Haha 1
56 minutes ago, funhusker said:

But to address @Notre Dame Joe's question.  Do your neighbors come over and look over your shoulder to tell you who to vote for?  And then beat on you until you fill in the "correct" bubble?  That's happening everywhere, right?

Ha...

My one neighbor will make these sort of passive aggressive comments about my lawn...

Usually something like "So are you doing something with that spot over there and are you voting for Biden?" 

2 minutes ago, teachercd said:

Ha...

My one neighbor will make these sort of passive aggressive comments about my lawn...

Usually something like "So are you doing something with that spot over there and are you voting for Biden?" 

Well as long as he doesn't show you a shallow grave in the back of his yard and say "so...you're voting for Biden? Right?" :lol:

• Haha 2