The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

11 hours ago, RedDenver said:

Powerful stuff here. Hopefully there are enough of these people out there to carry Biden despite not wanting to vote for him.

Ya... "the Obama presidency broke a lot of people" was a good comment. But I feel like the people who thought he was going to fix everything didn't understand politics in this country in the first place. Hypothetically even if Sanders had become president I feel like he wouldn't have been able to do much. I still would have voted for him but I think he only would have tried to help move things a bit left and (hopefully) pave the way for something more. Of course now we won't even get that.

13 hours ago, admo said:

I wonder if there is anything keeping Biden from winning?   :dunno  On his own behalf?  Could he screw it up?  Just an honest question. 

For everything I can think of, Trump has done something as bad or worse. So, let's say some video proof of Tara Reade's allegations comes out, some security camera caught it on tape, or something. That's terrible for Biden's candidacy - except we have the equivalent for Trump (and have had since 2016), plus like two dozen more women accusing him.  To an objective voter, this would still make Biden the lesser of two evils.

Maybe there's something concrete they can dig up in Ukraine with Hunter Biden - but Trump's children have benefitted financially from Trump holding office to such a greater extent that this shouldn't mean anything to an objective voter.

There's the "Biden's losing his mind" argument the right is trying to push, but anyone who's watched Biden & Trump speak knows that's a glass house both men live in, and neither can throw a stone that's going to affect the voters.

Can some policy issue come out that affects Biden? Maybe? But I can't think of anything Biden has done or might do that would be worse than what Trump has been doing. Again, I'm not seeing room for a screw-up there.

I don't know enough about Biden's alleged scandals to rattle off any more. Maybe someone else can help.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2
2 hours ago, QMany said:

This is one part of it. The fact that Trump doesn't prepare for the town halls or debates and Biden does is another key in this whole issue.

Another huge part of it, is if an undecided voter has an issue with the current state of the country, it's a much easier question to answer from a challenger position compared to an incumbent. This reason alone swung some voters to Trump in 2016. The mentality of "Let's see if he can do any better than career politicians/diplomats", is one I heard quite a few times. I understood where that person was coming from, but don't agree with that application to The President of The United States of America. 

• Plus1 1
9 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Biden's own voice.  He's not even good on the teleprompter.  But off of it we see objective signs of cognitive decline.  But to be credit they change his position so quickly it's unreasonable to expect Biden to remember.

And if you believed that, you think the Ds want mail in voting to get a fair count. 

Did you not get the new talking points, Joe? Ya gotta stay current!

• Plus1 4

I wonder if @Notre Dame Joe can answer yes or affirmative to any of these statements:

1. Trump sometimes calls people nasty names for no reasons

2. Trump displays symptoms of narcissistic personality disorder

3. Trump can come across as arrogant

4. Trump has been accused of sexual misconduct

5. Trump has been accused of personal financial misconduct

6. Trump has led several companies into bankruptcy

7. Trump has lies to the public on a regular basis

8. Trump exaggerates beyond what is normal for a politician

9. Trump has abused women and generally has taken advantage of them.

10. Trump is not respected abroad by his peers.

11. Trump has an unhealthy elevated opinion of himself and his intelligence.

12.  Trump isn't smart, but he is street smart.

13. Trump had covered up the truth regarding his past tax audits

14. Trump has paid off women he has abused.

15. Trump really doesn't care about the common person, only himself

16. Trump prefers strongmen dictators versus the leaders of our allied countries

17.  Trump does not inspires calm, confidence, peace, & compassion in the midst of a chaotic year

18. Trump has lied to the public about what he knew about Covid

19  Trump has down played the threat of covid

20. Trump is a failed president.

8 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

12.  Trump isn't smart, but he is street smart.

This made me LOL because I pictured Trump's flabby trust fund a$$ getting handed to him in a street fight.

And NDJ's answer to all of the above questions is either "Obama" or "Hillary." But seriously, NDJ doesn't answer questions, that takes time away from trolling.

1 minute ago, Ulty said:

This made me LOL because I pictured Trump's flabby trust fund a$$ getting handed to him in a street fight.

And NDJ's answer to all of the above questions is either "Obama" or "Hillary." But seriously, NDJ doesn't answer questions, that takes time away from trolling.

by street smart - he can lie wt the best of them and and con himself into the presidency.     It is obvious that he isn't smart as in intelligence.  But in regards to a street fight - I think Biden knocks him out in 5 seconds. 

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

Did you not get the new talking points, Joe? Ya gotta stay current!

This is funny, because Joe probably does know what types of questions he will get asked. He's probably prepared answers in regards to Covid, protesting, climate change, police, military, etc - you know like any competent adult running for office would. 

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, Ulty said:

There has to be some savvy to Trump, because he charted his own course, ignored conventional wisdom, and basically spanked both the Republican and Democrat parties.

On the other hand, he's not even an a$$-kicker in his own chosen world. The Bloomberg's of the world aren't his peers -- they think he's a terrible businessman and a clown. He had to continually get bailed out: by his dad, then the Russian banks, then by Mark Burnett who created the character people ended up voting for: the host of Celebrity Apprentice. Jesus, the man got played by Kim Jon Un.  

Maybe by "street smarts" we mean the ability to make the common man so angry at elites and minorities that they don't notice it's actually Trump picking their pocket. 

As a street level con-man he's too clumsy and would have been arrested long ago. If he were a real-world mob boss, his body would have been dumped in the East River in the 1980s.  But somehow in the political realm in this particular moment in time, Trump's "smarts" work like street crack. 

• Plus1 4
3 hours ago, knapplc said:

For everything I can think of, Trump has done something as bad or worse. So, let's say some video proof of Tara Reade's allegations comes out, some security camera caught it on tape, or something. That's terrible for Biden's candidacy - except we have the equivalent for Trump (and have had since 2016), plus like two dozen more women accusing him.  To an objective voter, this would still make Biden the lesser of two evils.

Maybe there's something concrete they can dig up in Ukraine with Hunter Biden - but Trump's children have benefitted financially from Trump holding office to such a greater extent that this shouldn't mean anything to an objective voter.

There's the "Biden's losing his mind" argument the right is trying to push, but anyone who's watched Biden & Trump speak knows that's a glass house both men live in, and neither can throw a stone that's going to affect the voters.

Can some policy issue come out that affects Biden? Maybe? But I can't think of anything Biden has done or might do that would be worse than what Trump has been doing. Again, I'm not seeing room for a screw-up there.

I don't know enough about Biden's alleged scandals to rattle off any more. Maybe someone else can help.

Thanks.  Alleged scandals and skeletons in the closet don't carry much weight these days IMHO.  Personally I'd write them off and move on.  So he should be fine and it won't derail anything.  As for losing his mind, he's had lots of time to practice, prepare and be mentally ready.  His staff or team is doing a good job with him.  I think the debates will be entertaining for sure.  Both of these guys are really getting up there in age.  Even if they both slip up, which will happen, I still don't see any chance Biden gets derailed and loses.

13 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Biden's own voice.  He's not even good on the teleprompter.  But off of it we see objective signs of cognitive decline.  But to be credit they change his position so quickly it's unreasonable to expect Biden to remember.

This is such a tiresome train of thought from someone who supports the most incompetent President in modern history and has troubles talking and reading off of teleprompters.  

Seriously.  Trumpees trying to push this look very desperate and obviously have nothing else to sell Trump on.

The guy can't even answer a question straight at a town hall meeting without his mind wandering into la la land.

Notre Dame Joe.....please watch this and tell me he's the most amazing speaker in the world and his mind is perfect.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

If you don't know Tyler Childers, you are missing out on a national treasure. He's an amazing songwriter whose voice only aids in the story telling and the pain in it. I know I can't put this in a status update since it's P&R related, and I don't really know where else this needs to go. But he does give a call to action to vote, so I guess here is as good of a place as any. His calls for empathy and understanding of our fellow man ring especially true to me. "Love each other, no exceptions." 

If you want some good music from him: White House Road, Charleston Girl, Dead Man's Curve, and for a fun one Ever Lovin' Hand.

• Thanks 1