The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

48 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Weird that he's always been like this. 

:cry He wants to be thought of as a NY tough guy, but every time he is confronted he cries and runs off like a baby. Maybe that is why he's been married so many times.  He's kind of the anti Truman - "The buck stops here"  "If you can't take the heat, get out of the kitchen"

Just now, knapplc said:

I wonder how much these endorsements actually help a candidate.

I think there was a time something like this would have been a big deal. But now we live in an age where if a Republican goes against the president, the Republicans say they aren't a Republican anymore or are a Deep State Democrat plant. No matter how much they were respected and praised by Republicans prior to becoming "traitors."

• Plus1 2
29 minutes ago, knapplc said:

I wonder how much these endorsements actually help a candidate.

Not much. It seems that a large portion of the conservative base identify more as a Trump supporter, than a true conservative.  Most of his supporters probably don't know who any of those people are. I know A LOT of people around my small town that never had any sort of political opinion before Trump's rise, and now it's all they want to talk about. I don't know what it's been like back in Nebraska, but in my neck of the woods there has been a "Trump Train" cruise nearly every weekend for a couple months now.

On the election, it feels like it should be a landslide in Trump's favor, but that has more to do with dealing with the public daily, and the political environment in my public space. The closer election day gets, I'm starting to lean towards a slim Biden victory.

18 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Not much. It seems that a large portion of the conservative base identify more as a Trump supporter, than a true conservative.  Most of his supporters probably don't know who any of those people are. I know A LOT of people around my small town that never had any sort of political opinion before Trump's rise, and now it's all they want to talk about. I don't know what it's been like back in Nebraska, but in my neck of the woods there has been a "Trump Train" cruise nearly every weekend for a couple months now.

On the election, it feels like it should be a landslide in Trump's favor, but that has more to do with dealing with the public daily, and the political environment in my public space. The closer election day gets, I'm starting to lean towards a slim Biden victory.

if it's a slim biden victory...trump will win his challenge in the supreme court he has packed and become presidente for life..

16 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

Most of his supporters probably don't know who any of those people are. I know A LOT of people around my small town that never had any sort of political opinion before Trump's rise, and now it's all they want to talk about.

I would agree with this as far as trump supporters go. They don't seem to have been politically very active, if at all, prior to trump's ascension in 2015/2016. Now they can't get enough of him no matter what he does or says. It's an interesting phenomenon. 

18 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

trump's job approval rating is alarming lows, similar to those of Jimmy Carter and George HW Bush, both incumbents who lost reelection. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

It seems that a large portion of the conservative base identify more as a Trump supporter, than a true conservative.  Most of his supporters probably don't know who any of those people are. I know A LOT of people around my small town that never had any sort of political opinion before Trump's rise, and now it's all they want to talk about.

That's because Trump supporters aren't interested in politics. They aren't interested in policy. And they aren't interested in American values. They are the kind of folks who are proud of their own ignorance, don't care about other people, and are racist, and when Trump came around they said: "yee haw, that's my guy!"

• Plus1 5
Just now, Ulty said:

That's because Trump supporters aren't interested in politics. They aren't interested in policy. And they aren't interested in American values. They are the kind of folks who are proud of their own ignorance, don't care about other people, and are racist, and when Trump came around they said: "yee haw, that's my guy!"

It may sound that simple, but it's not. I'll agree that there does tend to be a lot of ignorance involved, but I know some really, really good people that support Trump, for various reasons.

• Plus1 1

6 minutes ago, B.B. Hemingway said:

but I know some really, really good people that support Trump, for various reasons.

These really, really good people either outright embrace racism, ignorance, and corruption; or they are willing to tolerate those things to the detriment of their fellow Americans. Which is it?

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
4 minutes ago, Ulty said:

These really, really good people either outright embrace racism, ignorance, and corruption; or they are willing to tolerate those things to the detriment of their fellow Americans. Which is it?

Like I said, I think ignorance has a lot to do with it.... And, while some will scoff, I think there is a lot to the theory of the poor, white class feeling "forgotten". If you haven't already, read "Hillbilly Elegy", it is a great look into that mindset. Not all Trump supporters are racist pieces of s#!t, even if it may seem that way.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
1 minute ago, Ulty said:

I agree with @B.B. Hemingway on this one. My family members that vote Trump just flat out don't dig deep into politics. The propaganda machine has worked wonders. My uncle doesn't have a racist bone in his body, his folks immigrated over, he'd give his shirt off his back to anyone. He votes Trump because he thinks Trump = Guns, American Jobs, Less Taxes, Military, Political Outsider. He doesn't watch his speeches, or follow the news. He doesn't want to talk politics with us. He just associates Trump with those things and that's that. I'm sure there is tons of people like him. 

• Plus1 1