The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

14 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Some of these states will not start counting mail in ballots until after all the in persons are counted.  Oh and they will continue to accept ballots that arrive after election day.  It's going to be an election post-season with points just appearing out of nowhere.

I'm frustrated that some states won't start counting mail in ballots until after election day.  But, they should be accepting ballots for a while after tomorrow.  

If you're against this, you're against the military over seas being able to vote.  Do you hate the military?  Why?  Why does Trump not want the military votes to count?

• Plus1 3
7 hours ago, Moiraine said:

There will only be a small # of polls released Monday and Tuesday.

Nationally, Biden is polling 5.0 points ahead of Clinton's margin 1 day before the election (7.2% vs 2.2%)
Battlegrounds, Biden is 2.1 points ahead of Clinton's margin (3.2% vs 1.1%)
Favorability, Biden is 14.3 points ahead of Clinton's margin (19.7% vs 5.4%) - this is because Clinton and Trump both had negative favorability. Biden has positive.

Just now, QMany said:

The lack of undecided voters has me more confident than 2016. Especially after the Comey Letter, that was a rocky ride to the finish.

This has been about as mellow as that was rough. No "October Surprise" and very little movement in any poll.

That's what happens when not only are you the worst president in 100 years, but you put your ugly mug on TV and Twitter EVERY SINGLE DAY for four years. People don't have to "give you a chance" because they already know what you are.

And they're sick of it.

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1

Agreed, @knapplc. The polls were actively contracting from the Comey letter to election day. It was the perfect storm.

It would take a sizable polling error for Trump to win, one that we've only seen once in the last 60+ years (1980 when Reagan was favored to win and won big). And that concedes the polling error swings Republican’s way, when it went the other way in 2012 (2.7 pts), 2000 (3.4 pts), 1988 (1.4 pts.).

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

Some of these states will not start counting mail in ballots until after all the in persons are counted.  Oh and they will continue to accept ballots that arrive after election day.  It's going to be an election post-season with points just appearing out of nowhere.  

Most states can't start counting absentee votes until Election Day itself per state law. 

In Michigan we passed a bill that lets clerks in larger areas begin processing these ballots today, but they still can't be counted until tomorrow.

Not all states work this way. Arizona, Colorado and Florida all can begin counting ballots several weeks before election day - Florida starts 22 days out. They just can't report results until after polls close. 

Other states could have done something similar to make processing and reporting these votes easier. They chose not to. In MI/PA/WI the legislatures are all controlled by Republicans. Is there a correlation when they expect the vast majority of their voters to turn out to vote in person tomorrow and the leader of their party has been hollering forever about how mail in voting is rife with fraud that be used to steal the election from him?

You tell me.

• Plus1 3

NYTimes article on the guy in Nebraska who had his equipment burned (it's still being investigated and has not be shown to be an arson, yet) and Trump voters in his area.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/01/us/politics/trump-tractor-fire-nebraska.html?searchResultPosition=2

“You have to be for the little guy,” Mr. Collingsworth said. “He understands that part of society and how important the working person is.”

How did such a hearty group of people got conned into thinking Trump understands and cares for and fights for them. That couldn't be further from the truth. Also what I don't understand is why these people are worried about their taxes being raised by Democrats, and why a farmer would be shameless enough to complain about welfare - I've seen that in my own family and I see it in this article.

Jonathan Rempel has never been a loudmouth around town about his politics, but his views are clear when he asks rhetorical questions like, “Have you ever got a job from a poor person?” Or when he says that taxes are a form of extortion. They show up on Facebook, where some of his posts support gun rights and criticize a welfare state.

Johnathan Rempel, the guy this article is about, has received $264,000 worth of farm subsidies since 2005. That's $17,600 per year. 

https://farm.ewg.org/persondetail.php?custnumber=A12158824

and I'm not even arguing against those subsidies (although I don't think there should be any subsidies for corn), but don't f#&%ing complain about welfare when you're getting welfare. Maybe instead, consider that there are other people besides farmers that could use a safety net sometimes.

• Plus1 2
10 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Article on the guy in Nebraska who had his equipment burned (it's still being investigated and has not be shown to be an arson, yet) and Trump voters in his area.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/01/us/politics/trump-tractor-fire-nebraska.html?searchResultPosition=2

How did such a hearty group of people got conned into thinking Trump understands and cares for and fights for them. That couldn't be further from the truth. Also what I don't understand is why these people are worried about their taxes being raised by Democrats, and why a farmer would be shameless enough to complain about welfare - I've seen that it my own family and I see it in this article.

Johnathan Rempel, the guy this article is about, has received $264,000 worth of farm subsidies since 2005. That's $17,600 per year. 

https://farm.ewg.org/persondetail.php?custnumber=A12158824

Their entire mindset is bizarre. Reading that article, they are entirely detached from reality.

Though the president has refused to denounce white supremacy, Ms. Goossen, who is white, like most of her neighbors in Henderson, said she couldn’t believe that the president was being tied to violent outbursts at rallies against racial injustice.

“Do you honestly think he caused the burning and the riots? Are you out of your ever-loving mind? He did not,” she said. “He was a victim of this just like the rest of us.”

It's bizarre they can watch one of his rallies, filled with chants of "lock her up" and trump promising to pay the legal bills of people who get arrested for violence against liberals, or encouraging cops to rough up protesters, and think that he doesn't incite violence. The problem is that many of these peaceful, loving (likely Christian) people from Henderson are racist, and to them the image of the kind of criminal the police would be "roughing up" does not have their color of skin. 

You can't spend time in rural Nebraska without realizing how much racism permeates that society. 

• Plus1 1
6 minutes ago, knapplc said:

You can't spend time in rural Nebraska without realizing how much racism permeates that society. 

I wish this were unique to rural Nebraska. Recent trips I took across rural Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan (UP) had me feeling right back at home with my delusional Nebraska relatives that have never left their towns of about 1-2k people but have very strong opinions about what's wrong with the country, as if they have any idea what it's like in the outside world.

• Plus1 1