The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

13 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Their entire mindset is bizarre. Reading that article, they are entirely detached from reality.

I certainly don't think "bizarre" or "detached from reality" when I read this. I think their mindset is pretty typical Midwest farmer:

“Everybody wants to put people in a box so we can decide right away if we hate you. You’re a Trump supporter! You’re a Biden supporter! We hate you!” he said. “We need to quit that as a country. You are who you are, and I am who I am, and I can love you even if I don’t agree with you.”

In Henderson, word spread quickly among the tightknit set of farmers about Mr. Rempel’s burning equipment. Everyone knew it happened at a crucial time when corn needed to be harvested and hauled to market. The urgency was all the greater for Mr. Rempel whose wife was days away from her due date with the couple’s third child.

Neighbors and friends from church brought over casseroles and homemade cinnamon rolls. Mr. Rempel’s sister set up a GoFundMe page called “Burned Farmer” where donations have topped $100,000.

And under a silvery sky of a frigid recent dawn, a line of combines and tractors rumbled across the horizon and pulled to a stop in a gravel lot. Some two dozen farmers descended their vehicles and gathered for a prayer before they got to work. They came from neighboring farms and as far away as Colorado to help Mr. Rempel finish his harvest.

“Welcome to my life,” Mr. Rempel said, taking it all in, “where people are good.”

1 minute ago, mrandyk said:

I wish this were unique to rural Nebraska. Recent trips I took across rural Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan (UP) had me feeling right back at home with my delusional Nebraska relatives that have never left their towns of about 1-2k people but have very strong opinions about what's wrong with the country, as if they have any idea what it's like in the outside world.

Oh, definitely. It's a mindset common in any insular community. It's not even unique to America - you'll find the same mindset on farms in France, Germany, Brazil, ... everywhere.

1 minute ago, DevoHusker said:

I certainly don't think "bizarre" or "detached from reality" when I read this. I think their mindset is pretty typical Midwest farmer:

Having spent more than half my life living in rural Nebraska, I 100% stand by that description. Doesn't matter how typical it is, they're not seeing things for what they are. They don't see themselves for who they are, or their beliefs for what they are. 

6 minutes ago, DevoHusker said:

“Everybody wants to put people in a box so we can decide right away if we hate you. You’re a Trump supporter! You’re a Biden supporter! We hate you!” he said. “We need to quit that as a country. You are who you are, and I am who I am, and I can love you even if I don’t agree with you.”

In Henderson, word spread quickly among the tightknit set of farmers about Mr. Rempel’s burning equipment. Everyone knew it happened at a crucial time when corn needed to be harvested and hauled to market. The urgency was all the greater for Mr. Rempel whose wife was days away from her due date with the couple’s third child.

Neighbors and friends from church brought over casseroles and homemade cinnamon rolls. Mr. Rempel’s sister set up a GoFundMe page called “Burned Farmer” where donations have topped $100,000.

And under a silvery sky of a frigid recent dawn, a line of combines and tractors rumbled across the horizon and pulled to a stop in a gravel lot. Some two dozen farmers descended their vehicles and gathered for a prayer before they got to work. They came from neighboring farms and as far away as Colorado to help Mr. Rempel finish his harvest.

“Welcome to my life,” Mr. Rempel said, taking it all in, “where people are good.”

You know this isn't is the part knapp is talking about, he is talking about their political views, not the mindset that people should work hard and be nice to each other. It is crazy for Nebraska farmers to think Trump's policies help them and that he gives a f#&% about the average person.

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

I wish this were unique to rural Nebraska. Recent trips I took across rural Minnesota, Wisconsin, and Michigan (UP) had me feeling right back at home with my delusional Nebraska relatives that have never left their towns of about 1-2k people but have very strong opinions about what's wrong with the country, as if they have any idea what it's like in the outside world.

My wife's sister-in-law is from Red Cloud, NE and she (and her children) have been vocal Trump supporters and have very delusional thoughts on what the country/world is like in most cities and states.  This woman has lived in the Red Cloud area her entire life, now works in Hastings, and the only travel outside her general area is to visit her daughter in Lincoln or see her dad in rural Wyoming.  She had a Facebook post a few weeks ago about how many of her Facebook friends followed Trump's Facebook page.  All that told me is that she doesn't have a very diverse group of friends and she likes to live in an echo chamber.

• Plus1 2

Just now, Moiraine said:

You know this isn't is the part knapp is talking about, he is talking about their political views. It is crazy for Nebraska farmers to think Trump's policies help them and that he gives a f#&%.

The number of farms I have seen that have flags upon flags waving in their fields with military stylized support of Trump is absolutely insane. These people prop him up as some sort of action movie war hero, when he is the biggest baby imaginable. We are talking about someone who has probably never driven anything more powerful than a golf cart. This is your uber manly hero? What do you see in him? You would absolutely hate him if you had to be around him.

It's all delusion. They've made him stand for everything they love and against everything they hate, no matter what the reality of the situation is.

• Plus1 3

I'm not gonna try and tell farmers who to support, and no doubt many of them still believe Trump is fighting for them and culturally can't divorce themselves from the GOP.

But his trade wars have decided increased their reliance on federal subsidies to stay afloat, at least those of them that can - so maybe they should lay off the "handouts" rhetoric.

• Plus1 2

In depth article on Why Trump can't afford to lose.

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2020/11/09/why-trump-cant-afford-to-lose

The Presidential historian Michael Beschloss said of Trump, “If he loses, you have a situation that’s not dissimilar to that of Nixon when he resigned. Nixon spoke of the cell door clanging shut.” Trump has famously survived one impeachment, two divorces, six bankruptcies, twenty-six accusations of sexual misconduct, and an estimated four thousand lawsuits. Few people have evaded consequences more cunningly. That run of good luck may well end, perhaps brutally, if he loses to Joe Biden. Even if Trump wins, grave legal and financial threats will loom over his second term.

• Plus1 1

2 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

I'm starting to think we're overestimating the amount of conservative judges willing to put their nuts on the chopping block for Donald f#&%ing Trump, of all people.

We know there are dirty judges out there. And when this case was assigned to Hanen I saw some groans because he's viewed as pretty friendly toward conservative agendas. 

But he does NOT appear to be on board with throwing out in excess of 100K votes for whatever flimsy excuse the Republicans are trotting out here.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

I was visiting Lincoln last week, killing time and driving around town. If I were going strictly by yard signs, Biden is carrying Lincoln 10 to 1.  Biggest concentration of signs were in the wealthier neighborhoods like Sheridan and Lincolnshire. Not just Biden/Harris signs, but Peace, Love & Justice signs. BLM signs. Some I've never seen in California:  Joe Biden supports Solar Energy. 

But I'm mindful of the warning Michael Moore gave in 2016 and repeated this year: Many Trump supporters prefer the shadows, thwarting the pollsters, and avoiding judgement for supporting a racist, divisive, possibly insane President. Given the chance to be anonymous, they still bring big numbers that will be breaking late. 

• Plus1 1
4 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

But I'm mindful of the warning Michael Moore gave in 2016 and repeated this year: Many Trump supporters prefer the shadows, thwarting the pollsters, and avoiding judgement for supporting a racist, divisive, possibly insane President. Given the chance to be anonymous, they still bring big numbers that will be breaking late. 

That is potentially true, but it's less likely this time. I was just looking at Michigan, and the aggregated polls were off by 3.4 points in 2016. They had Clinton winning by 3.4% and she lost by 0.23%. But there were a whopping 12.6% of undecided.

Biden is currently up by 5.1% and 5.5% are undecided. If the polls are off by the same amount as last time, Biden still wins.