The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Just now, knapplc said:

What's that now?

And you know she's not a Democrat any more than Bernie is, right?

What, Google screwing her?  I assume you know full well about it and want to make some comparison to Trump and Russia correct?

I seriously don't care about party affiliation if I can agree with a candidate's ideas.  I think Bernie has delusions of grandeur, some concepts would be awesome and some would be disastrous and many of them are unattainable in our current structure.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Redux said:

I assume you know full well about it and want to make some comparison to Trump and Russia correct?

I know nothing about it and would like to learn. I can google it myself but I thought you'd know.

You have to trust people some. Not every inquiry is some kind of trap.

EDIT - I found it.  I had not heard of this, but then I don't spend any time paying attention to Gabbard - any more than I pay attention to Harris or Booker or any of the other long-shot candidates.

From the NY Times:

Tulsi Now Inc., the campaign committee for Ms. Gabbard, said Google suspended the campaign’s advertising account for six hours on June 27 and June 28, obstructing its ability to raise money and spread her message to potential voters.

After the first Democratic debate, Ms. Gabbard was briefly the most searched-for candidate on Google. Her campaign wanted to capitalize on the attention she was receiving by buying ads that would have placed its website at the top of search results for her name.

The lawsuit also said the Gabbard campaign believed its emails were being placed in spam folders on Gmail at “a disproportionately high rate” when compared with emails from other Democratic candidates.

“Google’s arbitrary and capricious treatment of Gabbard’s campaign should raise concerns for policymakers everywhere about the company’s ability to use its dominance to impact political discourse, in a way that interferes with the upcoming 2020 presidential election,” the lawsuit said.

Ms. Gabbard and her campaign are seeking an injunction against Google from further meddling in the election and damages of at least $50 million.

Google has automated systems that flag unusual activity on advertiser accounts — including large spending changes — to prevent fraud, said Jose Castaneda, a spokesman for the company.

“In this case, our system triggered a suspension and the account was reinstated shortly thereafter,” he said. “We are proud to offer ad products that help campaigns connect directly with voters, and we do so without bias toward any party or political ideology.”

No other campaigns have publicly claimed that Google has suspended their advertising accounts.

That honestly shocks me. @knapplc.  I figured you'd known of this for a while.  In a nutshell, her Google ads were pulled just after debates and they were never given any explanations as to why.  Definitely hurt her campaign big time.  But at least she derailed Kamala before getting eliminated.

This is just as troublesome as a current president or a former vice president trying to curry favor with international agencies to swing elections.  Maybe even more concerning for me because this stuff is happening here and it's a fairly new concept.  Tech companies and Social Media Platforms that don't have to abide by the constitution rights based on their own community standards.  It's scary.

3 minutes ago, Redux said:

That honestly shocks me. @knapplc.  I figured you'd known of this for a while.  In a nutshell, her Google ads were pulled just after debates and they were never given any explanations as to why.  Definitely hurt her campaign big time.  But at least she derailed Kamala before getting eliminated.

This is just as troublesome as a current president or a former vice president trying to curry favor with international agencies to swing elections.  Maybe even more concerning for me because this stuff is happening here and it's a fairly new concept.  Tech companies and Social Media Platforms that don't have to abide by the constitution rights based on their own community standards.  It's scary.

Her account was suspended for six hours. That can't have damaged her too much.

1 minute ago, Redux said:

Directly corresponding with debates?  When are her ads going to have the most impact?  Come on maaaaan.

It was for 1/4 of one day, AFTER the first debate.

Realistically, if her account hadn't been suspended in June, where would she be in national polls right now?

2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

It was for 1/4 of one day, AFTER the first debate.

Realistically, if her account hadn't been suspended in June, where would she be in national polls right now?

Directly after the first debate.  When people who wanted to learn more about these candidates go to look into them, the platform that claims no bias for politics just happened to suspend the account of someone who opposes tech company monopolies?

Who could possibly know that?  She is halfway to her privately funded campaign goal, whose to say she wouldn't be closer had those ads not been suspended?

29 minutes ago, Redux said:

IK she said she's not going to, but I'd still love to see Tulsi run as an independent. She would have a bigger impact on the general election than we've seen from a 3rd party or independent in a couple decades.

• Haha 2
8 minutes ago, Redux said:

Directly after the first debate.  When people who wanted to learn more about these candidates go to look into them, the platform that claims no bias for politics just happened to suspend the account of someone who opposes tech company monopolies?

Who could possibly know that?  She is halfway to her privately funded campaign goal, whose to say she wouldn't be closer had those ads not been suspended?

Google may be guilty of something (the trial will answer that), but she's currently polling at less than 2%, and I can't imagine those six hours truly harmed her much. 

• Plus1 1