The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

7 minutes ago, knapplc said:

About 100 years ago, when the internet was young, I went back and forth with @Husker_x over religion (I was pro at that time) for years.

The mea culpa I gave him when I saw his point of view was not nearly what I owed him. But it was heartfelt, and I sincerely apologized.

Man, I miss that guy.  He opened my eyes too.  Just call him Satan because anyone who converses with him becomes agnostic or atheist :lol:

• Plus1 2

5 minutes ago, Redux said:

Curious, was there a main point he made or several?  I came to that conclusion myself a long time ago and am wondering what was the tipping point.

I mean it has been years since hes been around and Ive had these convos with him.  Basically, what I remember was he would ask questions that I couldn't really answer.  He had good counterpoints to everything I would say.  He was really respectful with his points also.  I would think about what he said and try and come up with something when I couldn't.  This got the ball rolling on my de-conversion and it only progressed.  Id consider myself agnostic now, not quite atheist.

• Plus1 1

I feel similarly about Husker_x. I haven't yet become agnostic or atheist, but I have become a heretic to nearly all Christians (and even those who aren't but still know christian theology). 

2 minutes ago, Moiraine said:

Was he the guy with It as his avatar?

Yep.

I've flipped sides or changed my mind or just stopped holding a belief on such things as abortion, lgbtq rights, systemic racism, economic policy ideas, god, the aftrelife,  life outside the midwest and a lot of other things in the time I've been on this board and to some extent because of conversations on this board.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

@Nebfanatic I just wanted to give you a shout out because I thought you did a good job navigating pretty choppy waters to reach the correct conclusion on the whole Biden/Burisma situation. Kudos!

If anything, it's MORE difficult to make a nuanced argument like that in defense of Biden when there's already an argument ITT about how defending Biden is simply saying corruption is OK if it's a Democrat because we hate Trump. That second argument is incorrect on the merits.

When you actually boil down the partisanship and get to the facts of the situation, Biden did nothing wrong. He did not act corruptly. Not because he's a Democrat. Not because he's not Trump. But because of facts.

For the same reason, as much as I enjoy @Guy Chamberlin's posts, I feel he reached the wrong conclusion.

These two things are not equivalent:

Hunter Biden never should have gotten a do-nothing job with Burisma on the basis of his last name. (We all agree on this.)

-and-

Joe Biden acted corruptly in firing Shokin because his son worked there. (No factual evidence to support this, even though it seems to make sense at first glance.)

The problem is a lot of people seem to conflate A and B here. Joe Biden took what is essentially a terrible decision by his son that looks bad and didn't allow it to affect his actions.

It's not fair to say that because it looks bad it is bad. That's leaning into a lazy argument. We should not capitulate to intellectual laziness and glossing over factual details. That's exactly what the GOP asks us to do every damn day.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Am I the only one that is 100% okay with Hunter Biden getting a cushy job because of his name and fathers connections?  

Why is this a problem?  People get jobs all the time that they are not the most qualified for, but because they bring value in some sort of way.

It's the same reason people get mad about Ivanka getting a crapload of trademarks from China and Don Jr. getting ready to run for office solely on the basis of his last name.

They're not qualified, they didn't earn it and they're reaping benefits solely because of their last name.

As I person, I'd love a gig like that.  But it does leave politicians guilty to accusations of corruption.

4 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

It's the same reason people get mad about Ivanka getting a crapload of trademarks from China and Don Jr. getting ready to run for office solely on the basis of his last name.

They're not qualified, they didn't earn it and they're reaping benefits solely because of their last name.

As I person, I'd love a gig like that.  But it does leave politicians guilty to accusations of corruption.

I get that but I don't have a problem with what is essentially a form of nepotism and/or the old "it is not what you know it is who you know"

I bet you got a job that way (maybe, no clue, but I would bet a lot of us here did), it is how I got my current gig even though I had a great gig at the time.

If I was Gene Simmons kid, from KISS, and he was like "Here, you and your lame a$$ band will open for us on our next tour" I would not be like "Ummm, no dad, I did not earn it and all I know how to play is the intro to Smoke on the Water...E, A B..." I would be like "Sweet!" 

And face it, opening for KISS is a bigger deal than sitting on the board of a company, those guys don't do s#!t.

9 hours ago, commando said:

watching the dems debate and i am wondering how they have avoided calling out a grieving widow and telling her that her husband is in hell.   that's the proper way to win americas heart.

Yeah im surprised Biden didnt call people in the audience fat and challenge anyone to a pushup contest. I thought he was about to when he told Bernie to put his hand down lol

Look fat, heres the deal...

• Haha 1
11 hours ago, Danny Bateman said:

It's the same reason people get mad about Ivanka getting a crapload of trademarks...

I agreed with your prior assessment, but I think this is a false equivalency. 

These trademarks had been on file since 2016 and 2017. Trump was in in the middle of tense negotiations with China at the time they were approved. Ivanka is working in the White House setting American policy but reaping personal rewards.

That is not the same as Hunter Biden. Nepotism is normal for stuff like that; I don't like it but don't consider it the same as corruption. If Ivanka wants to leave the WH and get a cushy Board job somewhere she's not qualified based on name alone (like the Trump Foundation, for example), I wouldn't give two sh*ts as long as it doesn't affect US policy decisions.

• Plus1 1