The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

1 hour ago, Danny Bateman said:

Go watch a town hall with Biden and you'll get a much better representation of who he is as a person and how he can connect with people.

I get that - he always has been "Uncle Joe" for a reason  - he does connect.  I hope he is sharp for the debates.    

34 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Pete and Amy dropping out to rally behind Biden and defeat an outsider is precisely why I hate American politics. Someone's threatening our money and the establishment? Can't have that.

We were just discussing at home how Sanders supporters probably feel like they're getting hosed.

At the same time, Bernie and his supporters meticulously crafted the rules for the primary in a way they deemed more democratic (and presumably favorable to them) and everyone is playing by those rules. And when you've spent as much time criticizing Democrats as Sanders has,  he kind of opens himself up for some members of the party preferring someone else be the nominee.

It is a test of Sanders theory of the case that an outsider who criticizes the party can still get enough support within the party to assume control of it. 

• Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Pete and Amy dropping out to rally behind Biden and defeat an outsider is precisely why I hate American politics. Someone's threatening our money and the establishment? Can't have that.

I can see your point.  But part of what I hate about American politics is 3-4 candidates who share basically the same platform split up their followers to give outsiders a chance. I would love to see ranked choice voting.

I'm not necessarily for the status quo, but I'm also not for quick radical changes to the system.  I'd prefer a pragmatic approach over time (maybe that's the conservative in me...)

13 minutes ago, Danny Bateman said:

At the same time, Bernie and his supporters meticulously crafted the rules for the primary in a way they deemed more democratic (and presumably favorable to them) and everyone is playing by those rules.

This isn't true. Sanders supporters were only 8 of the 24 members of the DNC Unity Reform Commission that made the rule changes. In addition, Sanders and his supporters wanted to eliminate all of the super delegates so that the Dem primary was decided by the voters and their elected delegates, but instead the establishment fought hard to keep super delegates even though Sanders supporters succeeded in reducing their numbers and pushing them to the second ballot at the convention.

• Plus1 3
22 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I can see your point.  But part of what I hate about American politics is 3-4 candidates who share basically the same platform split up their followers to give outsiders a chance. I would love to see ranked choice voting.

I'm not necessarily for the status quo, but I'm also not for quick radical changes to the system.  I'd prefer a pragmatic approach over time (maybe that's the conservative in me...)

Amen.

I don't know how we actually get there but this would eliminate a lot of the nonsense we spend our time complaining about.

• Plus1 1