The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

34 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Are you old enough to vote?

Presidents that did a good job in my lifetime. (Don’t  read it as Presidents that didn’t have flaws and it’s a pretty low bar)

Kennedy

Nixon

Ford

Reagan

Bush HW

Clinton

Bush GW

Obama

I think this is a good list, in fact I would say most of our presidents have done a good job.  The list of crappy presidents is really pretty short.

Carter

Hoover

Woodrow Wilson (Maybe...)

6 minutes ago, commando said:

bloomberg is doing better than i thought he would. i don't see any path to victory for him....but  he might pull enough delegates to mess things up

Interesting, so the guy that needs no favors from anyone, because he has all the money in the world...didn't just "drop out" even though there was no clear path to victory...

1 minute ago, teachercd said:

Interesting, so the guy that needs to favors from anyone, because he has all the money in the world...didn't just "drop out" even though there was no clear path to victory...

his only win so far is american samoa and it's 6 delegates....but he is getting delegates in several states.   

1 hour ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I came into the world during Bush Sr's tenure. Every president in my lifetime has been abysmal

If you're going to classify HBush, Clinton, GBush and Obama as abysmal, I hate to tell ya but you ain't ever going to be happy with any politician, ever. And that's fine but there are huge differences between poor Presidents like Carter or disgusting human beings like Trump and those that I've listed. I know many hate and blame GW for what transpired in the Mideast but imo his biggest fault was ignoring the economy to solely focus on terrorism and 911. Nixon may have been a lying cheat and criminal but he wasn't a "bad" President. Anyway, if you've got no room for some flaws and some bad things you won't ever be satisfied with any of them, especially any of them nowadays.

Joe gets upsets in Minnesota and Massachusetts, and won all the southern states he was expected to (Texas is ongoing but it's not a part of that group). It's looking safe to call Biden the presumptive nominee at this point and one could make a strong argument that we've taken a step backwards from Hillary here. It would have been nice to get a breath of fresh air, but instead it's another Obama cabinet retread whose campaign theme may as well be "status quo".

• Plus1 2
17 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

If you're going to classify HBush, Clinton, GBush and Obama as abysmal, I hate to tell ya but you ain't ever going to be happy with any politician, ever. And that's fine but there are huge differences between poor Presidents like Carter or disgusting human beings like Trump and those that I've listed. I know many hate and blame GW for what transpired in the Mideast but imo his biggest fault was ignoring the economy to solely focus on terrorism and 911. Nixon may have been a lying cheat and criminal but he wasn't a "bad" President. Anyway, if you've got no room for some flaws and some bad things you won't ever be satisfied with any of them, especially any of them nowadays.

You're right - it would take a lot for me to have a favorable opinion of a politician ;)

Also: as far as Bush Jr, he killed the 4th amendment with the Patriot Act, and he did irreparable damage to education with NCLB. So yeah... he was bad

21 minutes ago, mrandyk said:

Joe gets upsets in Minnesota and Massachusetts, and won all the southern states he was expected to (Texas is ongoing but it's not a part of that group). It's looking safe to call Biden the presumptive nominee at this point and one could make a strong argument that we've taken a step backwards from Hillary here. It would have been nice to get a breath of fresh air, but instead it's another Obama cabinet retread whose campaign theme may as well be "status quo".

Biden is having a great run tonight, but the California results could change all of that. Unfortunately we won't know the full count from California for a couple weeks though.

9 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Selling my business, becoming an expat and moving to some tropical beach locale for retirement is sounding better and better everyday.

You know, it's weird. I heard a story once (probably a modern-day parable) about a guy who dreamed of living on the coast of Costa Rica. He worked hard his whole life, built a business, saved his money, and was finally able to sell and move to his dream life. Gets his bungalow right on the coast, sets it all up, gets up his first day of retirement and grabs his fishing gear, and goes out to see the sunrise. Looks a little way down the beach and sees another dude doing the same thing, so he goes over and introduces himself. He tells the new neighbor his story, and asks where the guy is from, and he says something like, "I've just lived here my whole life." 

Turns out the guy could have done that any time. Living in one of those countries doesn't cost a lot. We're just conditioned to think we have to have all of this "stuff" to live right.

• Plus1 2
14 hours ago, mrandyk said:

The establishment is rallying around the same exact type of candidate that gave us Trump. Literally nothing has been learned since 2016, and if it seems like Bernie had a better shot this time it's only because the establishment took longer to prop up the chosen candidate. It seems hopeless that this system will ever produce a presidential candidate who isn't deep in someone else's pockets.

It's not over and things could change drastically today, but 538 heavily predicts a contested convention and lord knows if it comes to that the superdelegates will again overwhelmingly side with their establishment candidate.

I hate political parties so much.

So...candidates get out of the race, endorse a candidate other than your favorite and....you’re upset and the system is broken. 

Maybe Bernie just doesn’t have the support of as many Democrats as his supporters think. 

Maybe what this shows is Bernies followers aren’t enough to beat Trump. 

I fail to see how yesterday proves the system is broken.