The 2020 Presidential Election - Convention & General Election

Regardless of how Bernie, his tax plan or his supporters predict how taxation and income will play out for "average Americans" there's zero chance it can pan out that way.  In no scenario would the government pass UHC before it passed an increase on taxes.  In no scenario would the government pass them side by side.  The only way it could play out is to FIRST pass higher taxation, THEN and only then would the baby steps of UHC begin.  And I see almost no reality where it actually ends up coming to fruition.

The fact is this, the taxes we currently pay could provide us all with UHC if treatment and medical supplies weren't allowed to be priced like we are playing Monopoly.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Goodness, Biden could get every delegate in florida. As someone who likes Bernie, it is worrisome how he would do there in the general. 

Keep in mind that the Electoral College is winner-take-all, so it doesn't matter if Biden loses by one vote or Bernie loses by one million. IMO neither will win Florida.

3 hours ago, teachercd said:

It is done now, right?  Biden is the nomination.  

I feel bad for Sanders, his own party treated him so poorly.  And he is probably never running again now.

It's not done at all. Biden currently leads by 602-538 delegates. With Bernie leading in California with another 144 delegates yet to be assigned, it's pretty much tied with Biden having a slight lead. And the total assigned delegates in the primary process is about 1/3 so far - still 2/3 to go, which means either could win with a high chance of a contested convention.

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, Redux said:

Both guys will lose pretty fantastically to Trump.  Bernie because of the stigma surrounding his ideals and Biden because Trump will literally eat him alive on the podium.  

This says more about American voters than it does either candidate...

The fact that a significant amount of people are impressed when they hear Trump speak is astounding.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, funhusker said:

The fact that a significant amount of people are impressed when they hear Trump speak is astounding.

Gimmicks sell.  And Biden is not relatable or well spoken and doesn't really have a shtick that screams "vote for me".

Just now, funhusker said:

Have you listened to Biden? He's a wreck. And as someone mentioned earlier in the thread, Trump will be able to attack him from the left like he did to Hillary on issues like trade.

Biden's best hope against Trump is just that so many voters want Trump out that they'll vote for a wet noodle over Trump.

5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

This is really an interesting point and maybe the "debate" part needs to be changed.  

Almost to the point that when one person is talking the other persons mic is shut off.  Or that some plastic bubble comes down from the stage and they are stuck in it while the other person answers.

While it is good entertainment to watch two old dudes shake their fists and yell who has the better lawn...it sort of makes it hard to figure out what the hell they are talking about.

Also...each debate should have its own twitter account, and the moderator(s) should have to ask 5 questions from "the people"

4 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This is really an interesting point and maybe the "debate" part needs to be changed.  

Almost to the point that when one person is talking the other persons mic is shut off.  Or that some plastic bubble comes down from the stage and they are stuck in it while the other person answers.

While it is good entertainment to watch two old dudes shake their fists and yell who has the better lawn...it sort of makes it hard to figure out what the hell they are talking about.

Also...each debate should have its own twitter account, and the moderator(s) should have to ask 5 questions from "the people"

I say make it "game show" style.  Give each candidate a buzzer and ask them questions about world geography, history, economics, healthcare, and other categories.  Contestant with the highest score "wins" the debate.

They could even wager electoral votes in the final round!!! 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
8 minutes ago, Redux said:

Gimmicks sell.  And Biden is not relatable or well spoken and doesn't really have a shtick that screams "vote for me".

Trump has a lot of those “gimmicks “ that scream “don’t vote for me “. 

1 minute ago, funhusker said:

I say make it "game show" style.  Give each candidate a buzzer and ask them questions about world geography, history, economics, healthcare, and other categories.  Contestant with the highest score "wins" the debate.

Oh my god, that is a great idea!

I would totally get into that.

20 minutes ago, Redux said:

Both guys will lose pretty fantastically to Trump.  Bernie because of the stigma surrounding his ideals and Biden because Trump will literally eat him alive on the podium.  

Agree on Bernie. Not on Biden. 

• Plus1 2
5 minutes ago, funhusker said:

I like the podcast format, Bernie and Tulsi on Joe Rogan was more relatable and informative than ANY debate setting I've ever seen.

• Plus1 1